Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OT: UL College of Trade?

Default OT: UL College of Trade?

We have an RN school. We don't have a Medical school or a Law school. That puts us at a disadvantage with other R1 universities that have all 3. It is a big reason why they can grow their donor lists and their Foundations so quickly.

We NEED as many Alums as we can get. If we can't get the White Collar grads other major unviersities have, why can't we go after the Blue Collar people?

What would stop the University from acquiring/starting a College of Trade? IT, Electrician, Welding, Construction, Mechanic etc. etc.

Higher Education is about to undergo major upheaval. Nobody will be paying for useless degrees in the near future. We need to make UL the one-stop shop for ALL HS grads.

Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

As for Medical/Law school; I thought that required approval of state board or something?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We have an RN school. We don't have a Medical school or a Law school. That puts us at a disadvantage with other R1 universities that have all 3. It is a big reason why they can grow their donor lists and their Foundations so quickly.

We NEED as many Alums as we can get. If we can't get the White Collar grads other major unviersities have, why can't we go after the Blue Collar people?

What would stop the University from acquiring/starting a College of Trade? IT, Electrician, Welding, Construction, Mechanic etc. etc.

Higher Education is about to undergo major upheaval. Nobody will be paying for useless degrees in the near future. We need to make UL the one-stop shop for ALL HS grads.
    Blue collar guys can go be an apprentice and make decent money. Why pay money to learn when you can make money and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Blue collar guys can go be an apprentice and make decent money. Why pay money to learn when you can make money and learn.
    They also teach trades at SLCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Yes they do. I know about a decade ago, they did TEACH trades, such as carpentry. One major obstacle was the learning on the job was more appealing than a classroom.

Yes they do. I know about a decade ago, they did TEACH trades, such as carpentry. One major obstacle was the learning on the job was more appealing than a classroom.
    Yes, I get that, but I was not really addressing your point. Perhaps I should not have replied to your post (sorry.) I meant to point out why UL would not want to get into trying to train people to work in trades. It would be redundant when SLCC has that mission and is right next door. I think UL would be better to stick to academia and research. But that is just one man's opinion.

Crawfish, I actually love this idea!! Especially with UL incorporating the trades school into our education system. Brilliant. Think of it like this, you got for electrical trade. You get an apprenticeship (partner with some contractors in Acadiana Region like E.P. Breaux). A few of these guys do well enough and have the smarts to aspire to an electrical engineer so they come back for bachelors. Their career path comes through UL, the whole way. This can be for carpentry/ITEC used to offer a concentration in construction Mgmt. Nursing

8. Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

This is an interesting topic because Louisiana was initially established as an industrial school but less than a decade into its existence the governor took a tour and declared there was * "too much educating going on."

Full circle.

*(paraphrase )

Yes, I get that, but I was not really addressing your point. Perhaps I should not have replied to your post (sorry.) I meant to point out why UL would not want to get into trying to train people to work in trades. It would be redundant when SLCC has that mission and is right next door. I think UL would be better to stick to academia and research. But that is just one man's opinion.
    We're fishing in the same hole. A few years ago, I saw this first hand. On top of that, I have two family members that taught industrial arts on the h/s level. Very few h/s students have the desire to do manual labor. From the DIY carpenter to shade tree mechanic, those skills are being lost by students in the American educational system.

Now days, you almost need a computer science degree to work on a vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Now days, you almost need a computer science degree to work on a vehicle!
    Decades ago my brother was told straight up by a Chrysler trainer their objective was to put the shade tree mechanic out of business.

12. Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

Decades ago my brother was told straight up by a Chrysler trainer their objective was to put the shade tree mechanic out of business.
    While the chip from China puts them out of business.

13. Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

The education "system" as a whole is culpable in making the trades seem less attractive.

14. Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

Plumbers have the market cornered.

15. Default Re: OT: UL College of Trade?

Authement donated the * land for SLCC to build on.

*UL land not personal land

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information