Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

Default Re: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

At the end of the day, academics should take precedent over athletics. I’m not saying I like it, and I’m not saying athletics isnt important, but academics should always be the focus of any university.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris-Gris View Post
    At the end of the day, academics should take precedent over athletics. I’m not saying I like it, and I’m not saying athletics isnt important, but academics should always be the focus of any university.
    That is true but that’s also why there’s separate accounts for athletic donations only. The issue is that donations from the small guys like us has slowed down for both academics and athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    That is true but that’s also why there’s separate accounts for athletic donations only. The issue is that donations from the small guys like us has slowed down for both academics and athletics.
    You’re so right. UL has alienated the little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    My daughter in law became a faculty member this semester. She can attest that Academics is facing a money crunch as well. Entire university is feeling the pinch. That is in large part due to declining enrollment. Encouraging thing is the freshman enrollment this fall was up significantly. Does not offset the previous decline however. Dr. Maggard is dealing with fewer dollars simply because there are fewer dollars available. Dr. Savoie did not want to cut athletics. He had little choice. A new RCAF director will come on board soon (no clue who that will be). That should help the athletic situation. Private dollars are needed more than ever.
    Same thing with my wife in her college. Lots of cutbacks in faculty as well as support. I’m having to supply paper for their copy machines. Doing what I can to provide the best graduates UL puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Same thing with my wife in her college. Lots of cutbacks in faculty as well as support. I’m having to supply paper for their copy machines. Doing what I can to provide the best graduates UL puts out.
    I don't know if UL has the ability to do this, but it would be interesting to see the age demographic over the last 25 years of donors, both athletics and academics. I have a feeling the donors are aging out and are not being replaced at the same rate, both actual donors and total giving. Again, not selling the brand, on both fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Wow talking about a shoe string budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I don't know if UL has the ability to do this, but it would be interesting to see the age demographic over the last 25 years of donors, both athletics and academics. I have a feeling the donors are aging out and are not being replaced at the same rate, both actual donors and total giving. Again, not selling the brand, on both fronts.
    Outstanding post...

True academic mission should take priority. Unfortunately, not always the case. Attendance will increase when the schools get back to education kids and not indoctrination. Example, my son is in beginning UNIV courses this semester and they are into Social Justice. Police are not portrayed in a good light in this course.

9. Default Re: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Your not selling the brand when you UL Lafayette every dam thing!!!!

10. Default Re: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

Brand money should always be spent on athletics. Surely when marketing academics there should be a gimmick to weave athletics into the marketing with a big LOUISIANA.

TEAMWORK and IMAGINATION folks . . .

A

You’re so right. UL has alienated the little guy.
    Explain how they have alienated the little guy? I would consider myself a little guy as far as donations go I don’t feel alienated.

You are correct. But athletics are the front porch of every university. The curb appeal if you will. Good athletics draws students to your university. It’s how the people outside of your community sees your university.

13. Default Re: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    A

Explain how they have alienated the little guy? I would consider myself a little guy as far as donations go I don’t feel alienated.
    This is a go to complaint for those hungry for cheese with no real complaint to give. We like cheese here.

14. Default Re: Has Maggard hit his ceiling as AD

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    You are correct. But athletics are the front porch of every university. The curb appeal if you will. Good athletics draws students to your university. It’s how the people outside of your community sees your university.
    that is why I posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Brand money should always be spent on athletics. Surely when marketing academics there should be a gimmick to weave athletics into the marketing with a big LOUISIANA.

TEAMWORK and IMAGINATION folks . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    It might be because he's working with $8M less in his budget and a depleted staff. There are areas that can improve, most of them begin with more money. It seems that Dr. Savoie with all of his accomplishments, has returned to pre-Alden focus on athletics. If you want to know what's going on, it begins there.
    T, I always appreciate your insight. Your consistent with bringing facts to the table & primarily without emotions attached to it.

With that said, do you think it’s fair assessment to say that if T-Joe is cutting back, there’s probably very good reason? From my very limited knowledge of the inner workings of budgets, academics vs athletics, I would have to think that if T-Joe was willing to invest heavily in sports a few years ago, there’s has to be some justification to pulling the reigns in now, right??

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information