Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread: Mascot Talk Heating Up!

1. Default Re: Mascot Talk Heating Up!

Quote Originally Posted by old alum View Post
    Why do we have to have a mascot? The team name is a statement. Enough is enough.
    Louisiana doesn't need a mascot, it needs a Spirit Leader. A Game Booster

The Gator is a Professor Pro Tem in residence.

It's a mood leader, spirit leader, it doesn't need to be a mascot and it won't change Ragin' Cajuns.

Ragin' Cajuns control Gators, not the other way around. You hear that Florida?

2. Default Re: Mascot Talk Heating Up!

We have Gators in The Cajun Swamp no matter what anyone else has.

3. Default Re: Mascot Talk Heating Up!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    I lobbied hard for the Brown Pelican, and ironically T-Joe (he was VP-UA at that time) supported it. But the AD shut it down. That was years before the hoops team in N.O.

Technically it's still available to us, because they use the white pelican. The brown pelican is the state bird, and as a different species, the white and brown are as different as the lion, tiger, cougar, or leopard.

I dunno. But it would have supported our bid to be the leader in the state:
    >University of Louisiana
    >Ragin' Cajuns
    >Brown Pelican.

And the fleurs de lis would have helped reinforce that, as well. BTW, it's quite possible that the 'FDL' that the Saints use, came from UL. I had a friend who grew up in N.O., born in the '30's... she said she never saw the fleur in New Orleans before the Saints arrived.

Well, the Saints played their first game in 1967.

The flag of Acadiana, based on the UL seal, appeared in 1965, and it made news across the state.

Probably no way to ever know, but we certainly were definitely the first in the state to use the concept in athletics. (The N.O. flag was created in 1918... but it, too, has a triple fleurs.)

But then we small-timed it, and rather than reinforce our own traditions, we told the company who designed the logo that we wanted "something like the Saints." I spoke to someone with the marketing company. They came up with several interesting designs that were all rejected... until they finally realized that the official in charge of the project wanted something almost identical to the Saints' logo.

So that's what we got.
    ……..lI grew up watching the New Orleans Pelicans and all identified with the uniforms with the bats and birds…..Tulane has lately used the old artwork!…….wellI think!

Default Re: Mascot Talk Heating Up!

Louisiana does need a mascot as a mood boaster and spirit leader. If the university will not name one, fans need T-shirts that says:

I’m a
    Ragin’
    Cajuns
    Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    Louisiana does need a mascot as a mood boaster and spirit leader. If the university will not name one, fans need T-shirts that says:

I’m a
    Ragin’
    Cajuns
    Mascot
    I dig

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post

I’m a
    Ragin’
    Cajuns
    Mascot
    I like that....and with a silk screen of Albineaux, no name, on the back of each shirt...

If we don't tighten up real quick the mascot would have nobody to wave to or talk with at the games.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread Information