Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN + Viewership

Default ESPN + Viewership

I don't necessarily agree with the local premise that ESPN+ is keeping thousands away from CF on game days. Still a small market, so hundreds, yes...thousands? Don't think so.

I've pasted some paragraphs from a Nielsen article on who's watching ESPN Streaming...

Nielsen’s Total Audience metrics include viewership from mobile platforms, livestreaming TV services like Hulu and YouTube TV. ESPN was the first network to sign up for Nielsen’s new measurement.

Not surprisingly, millennials—which Nielsen defines as consumers aged 18-34—are streaming the most. In the seven weeks between Sept. 25 and Nov. 12, ESPN saw a 23% jump in day viewership, and a 28% jump in primetime viewership among millennials. For specific programming such as college football games, millennial viewership jumped a whopping 33% with streaming and OOH viewership added.

Year over year, ESPN’s millennial reach has seen a 4% increase in day viewership and a 13% increase in primetime viewership by including livestreaming and OOH viewing. Overall, Millennial viewers account for 46% of ESPN streaming, the network said.

ESPN’s SVP of fan and media intelligence, Cary Meyers, called the new metric “the only meaningful way to understand sports consumption,” and said it offers “key insights into our millennial viewers.”

Overall, livestreaming and OOH viewing grew ESPN’s total live audience by 14% across day and primetime, according to data from Nielsen. Among viewers aged 25-54, Nielsen’s livestreaming and OOH viewership added 18% to ESPN’s C3 ratings, which spans the live broadcast and three days after the broadcast.

Default Re: ESPN + Viewership

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the local premise that ESPN+ is keeping thousands away from CF on game days. Still a small market, so hundreds, yes...thousands? Don't think so.

I've pasted some paragraphs from a Nielsen article on who's watching ESPN Streaming...

Nielsen’s Total Audience metrics include viewership from mobile platforms, livestreaming TV services like Hulu and YouTube TV. ESPN was the first network to sign up for Nielsen’s new measurement.

Not surprisingly, millennials—which Nielsen defines as consumers aged 18-34—are streaming the most. In the seven weeks between Sept. 25 and Nov. 12, ESPN saw a 23% jump in day viewership, and a 28% jump in primetime viewership among millennials. For specific programming such as college football games, millennial viewership jumped a whopping 33% with streaming and OOH viewership added.

Year over year, ESPN’s millennial reach has seen a 4% increase in day viewership and a 13% increase in primetime viewership by including livestreaming and OOH viewing. Overall, Millennial viewers account for 46% of ESPN streaming, the network said.

ESPN’s SVP of fan and media intelligence, Cary Meyers, called the new metric “the only meaningful way to understand sports consumption,” and said it offers “key insights into our millennial viewers.”

Overall, livestreaming and OOH viewing grew ESPN’s total live audience by 14% across day and primetime, according to data from Nielsen. Among viewers aged 25-54, Nielsen’s livestreaming and OOH viewership added 18% to ESPN’s C3 ratings, which spans the live broadcast and three days after the broadcast.
    I have never meet someone who did not go to a sporting event because it was on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I have never meet someone who did go to a sporting event because it was on TV.
    I wasn’t going to go last weekend but since it was on NFL network I decided to go to do my part in making the crowd look big. But you are still correct in your statement because we never met.

4. Default Re: ESPN + Viewership

I believe its a shift in the younger generation from living to living virtually. They don’t engage in actual playing as children, don’t actually play sports, and hook up virtually instead of getting into dances, and other social groups.

Tie that with attrition due to aging, relocating, downturn in the petroleum service can certainly account for perhaps 10-25 percent of our attendance problems, but poor marketing and game day experience is way more of a problem than the administration admits to.

Prime example this past week was failure to have a lightning delay well thought out reentry policy for those fans who saw only the stumbling, bumbling team instead of the 7 straight touchdown and turnover creating machine of the second half. Also regarding the younger crowd. Quit treating them like first graders by directing them to a specific section of their much larger student sections. And of course the Pecan patrolling with weapons. That’s just crazy.

I wish ESPN would release individual stream viewership. I'd think UL would have to be ranked one of the highest in per-game viewership on ESPN+ (in the SBC) from the casual fans in Acadiana alone.

I have never meet someone who did not go to a sporting event because it was on TV.
    You need to get out more. A LOT more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I wish ESPN would release individual stream viewership. I'd think UL would have to be ranked one of the highest in per-game viewership on ESPN+ (in the SBC) from the casual fans in Acadiana alone.
    DMA size is 124, I believe...don't think that would happen, again its hundreds, not thousands and thousands...

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    You need to get out more. A LOT more.
    lol 15k more aint walking through those gates if the game was not on TV .. 7 of the top 10 highest attended games in UL history were during the rise of ESPN 3.

Let me ask you this did baseball/ Softball attendance change during games that were not broadcasted this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    DMA size is 124, I believe...don't think that would happen, again its hundreds, not thousands and thousands...
    Yea, that makes my "bet" seem pretty dumb. But I'd still be curious about ESPN+ viewership. I may have attributed the wrong DMAs to their respective universities, but this was my attempt to put together a table.
    University DMA Rank 12+ Population DMA Less MSA Population
    Ga State Atlanta 8 6,278,900 1,176,200
    App State Charlotte 22 2,923,000 488,800
    Texas State Austin 35 2,132,400 140,700
    ODU Norfolk-Portsmth-Newpt Nws 45 1,691,100 262,900
    JMU Greensboro-H.Point-W.Salem 49 1,585,400 268,600
    South Al Mobile-Pensacola 58 1,317,200 750,800
    Marshall Charleston-Huntington 80 930,100 729,200
    Ga Southern Savannah 88 854,400 513,000
    Coastal Myrtle Beach-Florence 100 710,400 540,000
    Troy Montgomery-Selma 125 535,600 221,200
    Louisiana Lafayette 126 533,900 53,700
    ULM Monroe-El Dorado 144 384,100 256,700
    Southern Miss Hattiesburg-Laurel 168 251,200 77,000
    stAte Jonesboro 184 189,700 189,700

Let me ask you this did baseball/ Softball attendance change during games that were not broadcasted this year ?
    Think of the difference in game management between baseball/softball and football.... there's your answer

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Think of the difference in game management between baseball/softball and football.... there's your answer
    I just think the whole TV excuse is an easy way out. We have deep rooted problems with the game day experience when it comes to football. That is answer to why people are not showing up.

I just think the whole TV excuse is an easy way out. We have deep rooted problems with the game day experience when it comes to football. That is answer to why people are not showing up.
    I'll be the first to admit that I stay home and watch football because I can. If they weren't streamed, I'd find a way to go by myself or just with my wife. I will not attempt to bring my kids until the game management is improved. On the other hand, we go to the majority of baseball games.

People try to pin that on the fact that it's on TV. That's not true. The game management causes a willing customer to choose an alternative option.

People got kids bruh. Wife and kids don't care about sports. Its alot easier watching the game at home and taking a shower at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    People got kids bruh. Wife and kids don't care about sports. Its alot easier watching the game at home and taking a shower at halftime.
    If it was not streaming would you drag them to the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    Lannister has kids also. As a matter of fact his new born has made some Cajun games.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information