Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

Default Re: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    I do agree in that scheduling h/h with CUSA or MAC makes no sense going forward. Our peer conference is now the MWC and a handful of teams in the future AAC. Our non conf OOC games that arent P5 absolutely must be at this level.

Still bummed we dropped Wyoming for freakin' LTURd.
    4 non conference slots.

I like the In-State FCS tuneup game.
    I like your idea of 1 for 1s with select MWC/AAC .
    I like the other 2 non-cons to be P5 matchups. It gives you 1 payday slot and 1 Two for One slot.

This plus our SBC schedule is perfect for us.

I do agree in that scheduling h/h with CUSA or MAC makes no sense going forward. Our peer conference is now the MWC and a handful of teams in the future AAC. Our non conf OOC games that arent P5 absolutely must be at this level.

Still bummed we dropped Wyoming for freakin' LTURd.
    So you want 0 for the last 8 to be the legacy of the rivalry?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    130 is 130 no matter how they compile it.

No one should ever schedule a team that has a 130 strength of schedule.

Do you remember what happened to Louisiana's post season potential after it scheduled the lowest SoS baseball team in the coumtry?
    Dude, these schedules aren't made 2 weeks before the season starts! LoL! They are made years in advance, and there's no way to determine what a team's SOS will be then. There are way more important factors looked at than SOS.

130 is 130 no matter how they compile it.

No one should ever schedule a team that has a 130 strength of schedule.

Do you remember what happened to Louisiana's post season potential after it scheduled the lowest SoS baseball team in the coumtry?
    "No one should ever schedule a team that has a 130 strength of schedule."

Then why did FSU schedule us? Why did Iowa St schedule us? Why did Texas schedule us? Make this make sense without all the hyperbole

Quote Originally Posted by Atown cajun View Post
    McNeese has a winning record vs UL from an era long before most can remember...& they still live in the past. My hot opinion is LET LTURd have the past.

Time to put our big boy pants on & move forward. UL will soon be 2x larger than LTURd in students. UL is R1; LTURd isn't anywhere remotely close to R1. Our endowment is something like 3-4x larger and expanding. Even geographic location favors UL. North Louisiana is a dead zone for business growth and in many parishes they are declining in population. Acadiana region isn't booming like Texas but it's doing OK.....especially true when comparing to N LA.

In my view SoS will matter more than ever.
    Just need to win the conference championship and be the 6th highest rated conference champion! SOS might come into play to some degree, but it will not necessarily be the only thing. Winning matters most.

McNeese has a winning record vs UL from an era long before most can remember...& they still live in the past. My hot opinion is LET them have the past.

Time to put our big boy pants on & move forward. UL will soon be 2x larger than LTURd in students. UL is R1; LTURd isn't anywhere remotely close to R1. Our endowment is something like 3-4x larger and expanding. Even geographic location favors UL. North Louisiana is a dead zone for business growth and in many parishes they are declining in population. Acadiana region isn't booming like Texas but it's doing OK.....especially true when comparing to N LA.
    the tune up game is not a bad thing. the revenue alone is worth playing them. if we have to go the fcs route this is the only way to do it

OOC scheduling is made so far in advance, no one knows how those teams will be doing in 5-10 years. Can anyone say what UL’s sos will be in 5 or 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    OOC scheduling is made so far in advance, no one knows how those teams will be doing in 5-10 years. Can anyone say what UL’s sos will be in 5 or 10 years?
    We'll be somewhere between 100-150 wins in a row

10. Default Re: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

We'll be somewhere between 100-150 wins in a row
    This about says it all

I would hate to Maggard trying to schedule future games right now.

• The #1 thing you can offer a future opponent is Strength of Schedule value. With that fact in mind UL's current SOS of 130 leaves Maggard with nothing to offer opponents.

• It helps if they think they can beat you. With UL charging through a 15-game winning streak, Maggard's position is way to strong.

• Related to the first but more on the financial end.UL will never get top dollar from a P5 road game if they can't offer Strength of Schedule.

Louisiana needs to schedule multiple P5 games every year. 3 or 4 during the independant portion of the schedule.

Once Louisiana has real SOS track record to offer opponents, P5 teams will be approaching UL about 1-for-1 home-n-home games.
    I'd call UNC. They've shown they are not afraid to go on road to play G5's. In the last few years they've played ECU, App State and Ga State on the road. Not sure what the terms of those contracts are but they've shown they'll travel.

12. Default Re: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Dude, these schedules aren't made 2 weeks before the season starts! LoL! They are made years in advance, and there's no way to determine what a team's SOS will be then. There are way more important factors looked at than SOS.
    Duh. You right though.

I am saying that if Maggard was in negotiations over the summer or right before now he had/has zero leverage.

People look at the now and no one wants to play a team with a weak schedule.

Couple that with the fact that Louisiana is very good right now and the opponent is likely to lose, lose, lose in any matchup.

At the moment, Maggard has zero leverage to get the best end of the deal.

13. Default Re: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

Duh. You right though.

I am saying that if Maggard was in negotiations over the summer or right before now he had/has zero leverage.

People look at the now and no one wants to play a team with a weak schedule.

Couple that with the fact that Louisiana is very good right now and the opponent is likely to lose, lose, lose in any matchup.

At the moment, Maggard has zero leverage to get the best end of the deal.
    This is not that difficult. Why are so many having a difficult time with this? The misunderstanding is evident in the comments made. Whewwwwwww

14. Default Re: Scheduling: I would hate to be Maggard right now

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    "No one should ever schedule a team that has a 130 strength of schedule."

Then why did FSU schedule us? Why did Iowa St schedule us? Why did Texas schedule us? Make this make sense without all the hyperbole
    There is zero chance FSU, Texas would schedule UL today. UL's SOS was not 130 when those deals were made. Like you said years in advance.

Iowa State was an emergency schedule for both schools.

Maggard can't take long breaks in scheduling, he is always scheduling. Some of the games he is scheduling, he is scheduling now at a time when he has zero leverage.

I suspect he will have much better leverage for the games he schedules after this season simply due to the strength of Sun Belt East.

Quote Originally Posted by Atown cajun View Post
    Oh it won't be. Supposedly it was goodbye to McNeese when Mitchell and company went to LC and put a beatdown on McNeese in the 80's. No, decades later, someone thought it was a good idea. Same would happen with Tech.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information