Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling

Default Scheduling

Now that there is a 12 team playoff, I think UL will have to rethink its scheduling philosophy. Take this year for example.no way we get in the top 12 even if we run the table. We need to schedule 2 power fives to realistically make it in the playoffs.

Default Re: Scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Now that there is a 12 team playoff, I think UL will have to rethink its scheduling philosophy. Take this year for example.no way we get in the top 12 even if we run the table. We need to schedule 2 power fives to realistically make it in the playoffs.
    may not have to be in the top 12 to get into the play off. the top 6 conference champs will get in. that means one G5. i think if we would go undefeated this year, there would be a good possibility that we could have that spot, depending on what other G5's do.

And we’re stuck with crap OOC scheduling for the next five years at least. I’m so tired of scheduling NWST, Nicholls, and Grambling. What a missed opportunity to bring quality to Cajun Field.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I don't think that's the case with the way it's the Top 6 Conference Champ auto bids. Look at last years final rankings of conference champs.

1. Alabama (SEC)
    2. Michigan (Big 10)
    4. Cincinnati (AAC)
    7. Baylor (Big 12)
    11. Utah (Pac 12)
    12. Pittsburg (ACC)
    23. Louisiana (Sun Belt)

Not Ranked
    Utah State (Mountain West)
    UTSA (CUSA)
    NIU (MAC)

Of course, nobody knows what they will do with Notre Dame in the rankings. However, we are still in the running last season with a loss to our only P5 opponent. It's rare for a G5 team to win 2 P5 games in the same season. If Cincy would have went 1-1 against their P5 opponents, they would have been ranked in the 20's with UL. This opens the door for a more realistic change for the Cajuns while playing the same schedule.

Strength of your conference will determine ability to make 12 team playoff. With the American losing it’s top teams to the Big 12, the SBC has the opportunity to compete with them for top G5 league. Still, I would like someone to ask Dr. Maggard if he believes a philosophy change is pertinent. Yes, schedules are set for awhile but I don’t believe the new format will go into effect until 2026.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Yes, schedules are set for awhile but I don’t believe the new format will go into effect until 2026.

which is another thing that is puzzling. it shouldn't take that long to implement being that the CFP already has a top 25 poll. the logistics also seem pretty straight forward. no way it should take 3 more years to get things ironed out (I say three years because I assume when they say 2026, they mean 2025 season)

Quote Originally Posted by Gris-Gris View Post
    And we’re stuck with crap OOC scheduling for the next five years at least. I’m so tired of scheduling NWST, Nicholls, and Grambling. What a missed opportunity to bring quality to Cajun Field.
    FCS games will always be a part of the schedule and they should be. We need a warm-up game on the schedule. And perhaps even more importantly, we need a FCS game every year to get to 6 home games. And let's be honest, HBCUs and in-state FCS schools are much bigger draws than most Sun Belt schools. We had 25k last year for Nicholls. And the only reason we didn't come close to that for SLU this year is because the weather was atrocious.

Where we really need to improve scheduling is with our two G5 slots. Eastern Michigan and NMSU just don't cut it anymore. Tulane, La Tech, and even Rice are good local matchups, but our focus should be on scheduling top AAC and Mtn. West schools.

Of course we all know it's easier said than done. I'm sure if schools like SMU or Memphis were interested in home/home's with us it would already be on the schedule.

1 in-state FCS/HBCU
    1 yearly (yes, every year) LaTech hate match
    1 regional G5 (unless well-known, ex. Boise St)
    1 P5
    8 conference games

LaTech will always be a good draw/travel opportunity and they are a storied football program.

With a guaranteed spot for the G5 in the playoff, doesn’t it make sense to go with an even easier schedule? With that, you’re banking on only one G5 team running the table, which is generally the case.

Take this years schedule, swap out FSU for someone easier, and then if we run the table? 90% chance we’d still be in the playoff. Unless you have a Cincy 2021 scenario.

I know we were ranked in the Top 25 the last two years, but does anyone truly believe we were a legitimate top 12 program either year? Does anyone truly believe we're on track to be a legitimate top 12 program in the near future? So why would we blame our schedule on not getting into the playoffs?

This whole argument puts the cart before the horse. If we get to a point where we can legitimately beat 2 good P5 schools every year then by all means let's change the schedule. But right now we can't. Until then, I like Maggard's philosophy of scheduling one winnable P5 school every year so we can shoot our shot and still get 6 home games every year.

Been saying that for 2 seasons. (1) SEC; (1) Big12 and (1) AAC team in Non conference. The 4th game should be in-state school

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    FCS games will always be a part of the schedule and they should be. We need a warm-up game on the schedule. And perhaps even more importantly, we need a FCS game every year to get to 6 home games. And let's be honest, HBCUs and in-state FCS schools are much bigger draws than most Sun Belt schools. We had 25k last year for Nicholls. And the only reason we didn't come close to that for SLU this year is because the weather was atrocious.

Where we really need to improve scheduling is with our two G5 slots. Eastern Michigan and NMSU just don't cut it anymore. Tulane, La Tech, and even Rice are good local matchups, but our focus should be on scheduling top AAC and Mtn. West schools.

Of course we all know it's easier said than done. I'm sure if schools like SMU or Memphis were interested in home/home's with us it would already be on the schedule.
    Why do you need a warm-up game against an inferior opponent? You have spring and fall camp to prepare for the season and get ready to play. And the weather Saturday was anything but atrocious, no rain during the game and it wasn't hot. People that need near ideal weather before they come out are not real fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    Why do you need a warm-up game against an inferior opponent? You have spring and fall camp to prepare for the season and get ready to play. And the weather Saturday was anything but atrocious, no rain during the game and it wasn't hot. People that need near ideal weather before they come out are not real fans.
    AMEN!

Stop this FCS nonsense effective immediately!

obviously its not quantifiable because we would never be able to know, but if FSU didnt play duquesne (a warm up game) that matchup in the Dome could have gone differently. they had a week to work out some kinks that you dont get in fall camp or in spring ball.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information