Thread: ESPN article about the Sun Belt

Default ESPN article about the Sun Belt

McGee makes some good points. The Sun Belt keeping it real and regional while other conferences are trying to convince themselves that Los Angeles is in the Mid West.

Also, this is the first time I've heard anyone say the "A5." Is Gill just jumping in front of the inevitable?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.-fun-throwback

Default Re: ESPN article about the Sun Belt

Good read.

Good stuff.

I know busing to away games isn't the sexiest of ideas, but simple trips to USA, USM, and ULM that have meaning and cut back on travel expenses is more than worth it. For all sports.

Makes staying pat worth it.

I think it is sexier than most people realize. We don't have to suffer through the constant travel so we don't realize how disruptive and difficult long road trips can be to coaches and student-athletes.

I've read a few articles recently talking about the absolute nightmare UCLA and USC created for their non-football athletes by joining the Big 10. They are going to have to fly ~2,000 miles and through multiple time zones for each conference game. It's going to be downright brutal for them. It wouldn't surprise me if USC and UCLA's recruiting and retention drops off a cliff because of it.

I like the fact that the SBC over the years have usually invited schools with strong football history/tradition instead of a school in a big TV market with no football history/tradition. I like going into Paulson Stadium where very few road teams win. We have not won often in Hattiesburg. App State is as tradition laden as any school in the FBS and we are a better program for having played them so often. We will go to Huntington, WV this year see where Randy Moss, Bryon Leftwich and Chad Pennington called home. Most of the SBC care about football and we are all playing with a chip on our shoulders. Makes for compelling football.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Good stuff.

I know busing to away games isn't the sexiest of ideas, but simple trips to USA, USM, and ULM that have meaning and cut back on travel expenses is more than worth it. For all sports.

Makes staying pat worth it.
    Agree that it’s a very good article…I just wish we were mentioned more, lol. And that our rivalry with USM will soon become much bigger than the supposed rivalry w/ULM

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    I like the fact that the SBC over the years have usually invited schools with strong football history/tradition instead of a school in a big TV market with no football history/tradition. I like going into Paulson Stadium where very few road teams win. We have not won often in Hattiesburg. App State is as tradition laden as any school in the FBS and we are a better program for having played them so often. We will go to Huntington, WV this year see where Randy Moss, Bryon Leftwich and Chad Pennington called home. Most of the SBC care about football and we are all playing with a chip on our shoulders. Makes for compelling football.
    You said it best! I'm ready for some football!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    McGee makes some good points. The Sun Belt keeping it real and regional while other conferences are trying to convince themselves that Los Angeles is in the Mid West.

Also, this is the first time I've heard anyone say the "A5." Is Gill just jumping in front of the inevitable?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal.-fun-throwback
    A-5 has been around a few years. Media hasn't grabbed onto it yet like P-5.

Great article, hate to see what is going on around the college football landscape but we could definitely be in a much worse position. The regional rivalries are vital for the SBC's success. Love the new additions!

I haven't been a fan of the SBC commish but have to give credit when it's due.

We are on the right track. It's still going to be interesting for us when more shake-ups occur.

The Athletic had a similar article about three weeks ago that focused on the rivalry/footprint model that the SBC is using. I'd post it here, but The Athletic has a pay wall. In the comments by non-Sun Belt fans the conference got a lot of love both for how it has improved on the field and the strategy by which it has grown.

Thread Information