Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Default Re: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Now that is UL'ing it...

2. Default Re: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Fill us in on how you arrived at that conclusion?

Will host a significant program aimed at student development and one day will link to Martin Hall. It’s a good thing. Major gathering area provided below. In good weather. Whenever that is. But they are young kids. They can take it. This complex is a game changer for Engineering. Recruiting and retention of faculty will be better and students will benefit. I’m thinking of going back for a PhD. I’m also considering the NBA.

Default Re: College of Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

There's a rather bizarre overhang coming off the back of this building. I'm going back and forth about if I love or hate it.

I wonder what the point of doing this is? Seems like an expensive way to create a covered courtyard.
    Outdoor study area

Loved studying under the oak tree by the library

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Now that is UL'ing it...
    Like dat!

Default Re: College of Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Outdoor study area

Loved studying under the oak tree by the library
    It looks like they didn't want to totally block Zeus, and it provides cover, for eating and studying.

7. Default Re: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Not a huge fan of the building. It'll be nice when it's shiny and new, but it won't age well. The architecture in the Quad is so iconic. I don't know why everything new has to look like a suburban office park.

And the video makes it look like the overhang portion of the building is completely open space. That's a pretty expensive space no matter what. Patio Center could've built an aluminum awning if we need space for people to eat their Zeus outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Power View Post
    Not a huge fan of the building. It'll be nice when it's shiny and new, but it won't age well. The architecture in the Quad is so iconic. I don't know why everything new has to look like a suburban office park.

And the video makes it look like the overhang portion of the building is completely open space. That's a pretty expensive space no matter what. Patio Center could've built an aluminum awning if we need space for people to eat their Zeus outside.
    Well you go from complaining of the lack of aesthetics of the building to then recommending an aluminum patio cover. That would be a terrible, cheap, ‘usl’ look, IMO. And the main purpose of that extension is that it will include a crossover to Madison, which will be done in the $20 million renovation of Madison. The space it provides under it is fantastic, and will provide a very nice covered area for all students, not just for those eating at Zeus.

I personally love the design of it: it echoes Olivier Hall, but does it so in a way that it is actually more attractive than Oliver. I hear that the 3rd building on the east of this quad will be a replication of this 2nd building, minus the overhang going towards Dupre.

I hope I get to see this happen, and this new complex competed. I hear that this 3rd building will be for needed expansion of Oliver, and the 2 parts will connect with just a second story cross-over to it, so that you will still still be able to get to Dupre/Madison from the new quad w/o having to go around it, like they are doing for this new building.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Well you go from complaining of the lack of aesthetics of the building to then recommending an aluminum patio cover. That would be a terrible, cheap, ‘usl’ look, IMO. And the main purpose of that extension is that it will include a crossover to Madison, which will be done in the $20 million renovation of Madison. The space it provides under it is fantastic, and will provide a very nice covered area for all students, not just for those eating at Zeus.

I personally love the design of it: it echoes Olivier Hall, but does it so in a way that it is actually more attractive than Oliver. I hear that the 3rd building on the east of this quad will be a replication of this 2nd building, minus the overhang going towards Dupre.

I hope I get to see this happen, and this new complex competed. I hear that this 3rd building will be for needed expansion of Oliver, and the 2 parts will connect with just a second story cross-over to it, so that you will still still be able to get to Dupre/Madison from the new quad w/o having to go around it, like they are doing for this new building.
    While the design is nice I think there is too much glass not enough brick and I did not see an arch anywhere on the facade. I'm thinking it will be difficult to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

10. Default Re: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    While the design is nice I think there is too much glass not enough brick and I did not see an arch anywhere on the facade. I'm thinking it will be difficult to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
    ……Theme theme theme…..our beautiful parts of campus are the same color red brick, the arches, and the white trim windows and doors……well that is what there appears to me …..the architecture building was a real mistake and this looks to add to it……any agree????

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……Theme theme theme…..our beautiful parts of campus are the same color red brick, the arches, and the white trim windows and doors……well that is what there appears to me …..the architecture building was a real mistake and this looks to add to it……any agree????
    Yeah the architecture building looks like dog____

I think it does continue a theme, that of Madison Hall, which dates back to 1957. I love the old architecture style of the Quad too. This is consistent with the technology style already existing in that immediate area. I like it, it's ok to have more than one style on campus. It's not hideous like Fletcher.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Speaking of Madison and that area, I would like to see them remove that parking lot between Madison and the Library. It doesn't look good and a grass area with walkways and benches would look much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Speaking of Madison and that area, I would like to see them remove that parking lot between Madison and the Library. It doesn't look good and a grass area with walkways and benches would look much nicer.
    It is needed for handicapped parking spaces to see serve the library, Montgomery and Madison halls.

15. Default Re: New 70k sf Engineering Bldg

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post

I was kidding about Patio Center.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information