Thread: Relegation

1. UL Football Relegation

If you’re bad at your job, you get demoted, right? Unless you’re Vanderbilt, in which case you get a media rights check for about $80 million.

As the old American Express ad said, “Membership has its privileges.” And being a member of the SEC has provided the Commodores with more privileges than they’ve earned.

I don’t mean to pick on Vandy, which is hardly the only school that’s a freeloader school in football. I’m just old-fashioned enough to believe in the American ideal of earning your keep.

Default Re: Relegation

Been saying this needs to happen for years now.

3. Default Re: Relegation

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Been saying this needs to happen for years now.
    I too like the idea.

Question: Would different sports end up in different conferences?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I too like the idea.

Question: Would different sports end up in different conferences?
    I think it would be football only

Love this idea. Just like soccer.

Love it, but I don't think it will ever happen.

If you want more drama in college football, this is an excellent way to go. In my opinion, way more compelling than the having the same 3 teams + 1 in the CFP each year. Just from a pure college football standpoint, can you imagine the buzz around games where one team is facing demotion and the other promotion? "If Kansas loses against Iowa State and Utah State beats Fresno, Kansas will fall out of the Super Conference and the Aggies take their place."

However, I can't imagine the fringe schools would ever go for it. It would also be really strange with conference affiliation with each of the schools that drop out. So Kansas plays in the MAC in Football for a while while playing the rest of their sports are in the Big 12.

Since money is the driving factor in college football and generally anything that the wider fan base want to see that would be good for the game is moot, I can imagine any good idea like this will be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    If you want more drama in college football, this is an excellent way to go. In my opinion, way more compelling than the having the same 3 teams + 1 in the CFP each year. Just from a pure college football standpoint, can you imagine the buzz around games where one team is facing demotion and the other promotion? "If Kansas loses against Iowa State and Utah State beats Fresno, Kansas will fall out of the Super Conference and the Utes take their place."

However, I can't imagine the fringe schools would ever go for it. It would also be really strange with conference affiliation with each of the schools that drop out. So Kansas plays in the MAC in Football for a while while playing the rest of their sports are in the Big 12.

Since money is the driving factor in college football and generally anything that the wider fan base want to see that would be good for the game, then I can imagine any good idea like this will be discarded.
    Agree.
    Since relegation give smaller markets a chance, it will not occur.
    There is a chance that big money schools could be knocked down and lose support/money.
    CFB is a slave to big money, and people support it.
    I don't see it changing like this although it is an excellent idea.

Been screaming this for years. It will reduce the arms race in college athletics facilities and spending. The thought of going from SEC media deal to SunBelt media deal schools might think twice about hiring that 28th analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Agree.
    Since relegation give smaller markets a chance, it will not occur.
    There is a chance that big money schools could be knocked down and lose support/money.
    CFB is a slave to big money, and people support it.
    I don't see it changing like this although it is an excellent idea.
    Good point about the smaller markets. That's huge in college football.

I wonder what college football would be like if relegation was in place for say the last 10-20 years. Imagine where teams like Boise State, App, even NIU for a hot second could have done with their success. Then what would would have happened to the Kansas, Syracuse, Wake, and Vandy's?

I can already see an argument against it because those opposed will say "well where are they now? UCONN made it to a New Year's 6. They are a joke now. Hawaii? Sugar bowl then nothing."

That's what happens in the Premier league too, though. Flash in the pans get their shot and if they don't succeed in the top tier, then drop back down and let someone else try. It adds more incentive to not ride on the coattails of your conference for half a century.

Thread Information