Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Few Practice Observations

UL Football A Few Practice Observations

I was invited to practice by several personal friends high up on the donor list. I will share a few observations with the understanding that you can get very little from attending one practice, but you can get a feel of how the staff and players are approaching this season.

First, let me say I see little difference if any in the structure, pace and intensity of practice in comparison to how Coach Napier ran things. Coach Desormeaux was very vocal in pushing players in each session I viewed. He singled out several players during those sessions, telling them "they need to practice like they want it!"

I was impressed with OL Coach Norrid, pushing his athletes hard and demanding they focus on the details. His Coaching style is similar to Rob Sale and he focuses on the details.

The offensive line is a major concern for me because of the lack of depth and experience. I'm not in full panicking mode, but there is work to be done and they need to remain healthy. Rubio is healthy again and looks like he will be the RT with Thomas at LT. Behind both are George Jackson LT and King McGovern at RT. Both look really improved and can help inside as well. On the inside Gillie LG and Harrington C are physical, and Hudson is technically sound and quick to the second level. After those guys, there is lots of work to be done.

I was impressed with our RB group, especially in light of losing Johnson and Baily to transfer. But there is plenty of talent and size in the group beginning with Smith, Kobodi, Washington, Terrance Williams and Orphey. Those guys will fight it out for playing time in different packages. They really don't need to count on the group behind these guys, they are all physically ready to play.

I won't get in to the QB discussion since it's been a hot topic for weeks. I did watch Fields and Woolridge throw in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11, both threw well at times.

Someone mentioned the DL as a concern in another thread, I don't share that concern if performance catches up with the talent. Jones, Wilkerson, Hill and Nelson look like the starters, with healthy Hazard and Hutchinson at NT behind Nelson. Narcisse and Lawson are pushing behind that group with McGriff and Landry also in the mix.

I like the talent at OLB in Riley, Guidry,Whitfield, Peterson, George and Gant. There is plenty of talent inside with Moncrief, Ossai, Edwards and Quibodeaux.

I don't have time to get in to the WR group and Secondary right now. But there is plenty of talent ,depth and speed in both units. I will add a few observations later today.

Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

I notice you did not mention Zylan Perry at RB.

First meat of the season. Thanks

Thanks for the report T.

T, I saw Jamal Bell is back on the roster did he leave and come back? Injured? Can he be one to give us that Harry Peoples shifty slippery type slot receiver?

6. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    T, I saw Jamal Bell is back on the roster did he leave and come back? Injured? Can he be one to give us that Harry Peoples shifty slippery type slot receiver?
    Jamal had entered the portal last year, I believe and then decided to come back. He was on the roster all last year, but only had 1 reception. I hope he is fully healthy and if so can really give us a lot of depth at an already very deep position. Remember this is a guy who had 34 receptions in 2019 for 445 yards and 1 TD. He was our 2nd leading receiver behind Ja'marcus Bradley.

7. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Good stuff, T.

8. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    ... The offensive line is a major concern for me because of the lack of depth and experience....
    I worry about to O-Line every year, although the last few years my worries were unfounded.

I don't think you can ever recruit enough offensive or defensive linemen as they can improve the play of everyone behind them.

I was invited to practice by several personal friends high up on the donor list. I will share a few observations with the understanding that you can get very little from attending one practice, but you can get a feel of how the staff and players are approaching this season.

First, let me say I see little difference if any in the structure, pace and intensity of practice in comparison to how Coach Napier ran things. Coach Desormeaux was very vocal in pushing players in each session I viewed. He singled out several players during those sessions, telling them "they need to practice like they want it!"

I was impressed with OL Coach Norrid, pushing his athletes hard and demanding they focus on the details. His Coaching style is similar to Rob Sale and he focuses on the details.

The offensive line is a major concern for me because of the lack of depth and experience. I'm not in full panicking mode, but there is work to be done and they need to remain healthy. Rubio is healthy again and looks like he will be the RT with Thomas at LT. Behind both are George Jackson LT and King McGovern at RT. Both look really improved and can help inside as well. On the inside Gillie LG and Harrington C are physical, and Hudson is technically sound and quick to the second level. After those guys, there is lots of work to be done.

I was impressed with our RB group, especially in light of losing Johnson and Baily to transfer. But there is plenty of talent and size in the group beginning with Smith, Kobodi, Washington, Terrance Williams and Orphey. Those guys will fight it out for playing time in different packages. They really don't need to count on the group behind these guys, they are all physically ready to play.

I won't get in to the QB discussion since it's been a hot topic for weeks. I did watch Fields and Woolridge throw in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11, both threw well at times.

Someone mentioned the DL as a concern in another thread, I don't share that concern if performance catches up with the talent. Jones, Wilkerson, Hill and Nelson look like the starters, with healthy Hazard and Hutchinson at NT behind Nelson. Narcisse and Lawson are pushing behind that group with McGriff and Landry also in the mix.

I like the talent at OLB in Riley, Guidry,Whitfield, Peterson, George and Gant. There is plenty of talent inside with Moncrief, Ossai, Edwards and Quibodeaux.

I don't have time to get in to the WR group and Secondary right now. But there is plenty of talent ,depth and speed in both units. I will add a few observations later today.
    Merci T!!!

10. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Reading again...

Good stuff T.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom View Post
    I notice you did not mention Zylan Perry at RB.
    One practice, but he's a true freshman that is behind backs that are more physical and know the offense better than him at this point. He's talented, but likely headed for a RS season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    Unfortunately some of the players are wearing different numbers for practice, so I didn't really look for him by number. If anyone visits a practice, save a link to the roster just to help identify players. Smith was wearing #13 at practice Tuesday.

An actual report by someone who knows what he is talking about. Hype levels off the chart! Thanks T

Unfortunately some of the players are wearing different numbers for practice, so I didn't really look for him by number. If anyone visits a practice, save a link to the roster just to help identify players. Smith was wearing #13 at practice Tuesday.
    I believe Chris has changed from #21 to #13.

Thanks for the excellent breakdown, T! Hoping to hear more!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I worry about to O-Line every year, although the last few years my worries were unfounded.

I don't think you can ever recruit enough offensive or defensive linemen as they can improve the play of everyone behind them.
    And we just missed out on a 4 Star OL that announced his commitment to Houston this morning. We were in his top 5…that’s the breaks.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information