Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A Few Practice Observations

1. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Chris smith will be lights out this year.
    People forget that Smizzy played through injury last year. I hope Mike and Tim use him in a flex role, similar to what Reggie Bush was used for at SC.

He’s built for it.

Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    OL would be lights out if Napier hadn't taken Waites and Torrence but he did so next man up!
    Yep. Torrence especially was a big loss

It's pretty incredible the quality of olinemen that we have had the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    People forget that Smizzy played through injury last year. I hope Mike and Tim use him in a flex role, similar to what Reggie Bush was used for at SC.

He’s built for it.
    Yep. Smith has game breaking speed. He's prime to bust out this season

With other bigger backs on the roster, hopefully he is able to be utilized in that manner

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Definitely. We are not nearly as talented as in the past at RB.
    What does this mean exactly? UL has had a knack for recruiting some of the best RBs in the country for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post

It's pretty incredible the quality of o linemen that we have had the last few years
    Think about the fact that almost half of our starting lineup last year was either drafted or transferred to P5 schools. Pretty good talent base.

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Chris smith will be lights out this year.
    As I'm a huge Smith fan, I hope so.

But my point is being blurred.

I never said we didn't have talent at running back. The number of players at the position causes me some concern.

I see Zylan filling the Chris Smith role, but in two years. It has already been said Zylan will probably be red-shirted. Now we're downt to 6.

Chaz Ward has played in 24 games, started 9, and has 781 yards on 247 carries, averaging 3.1 yards an attempt. Playing for Lamar. He's a load and hopefully his game translates better here and he benefits from a better offensive line. But if it doesn't.....now we're at 5.

I think Smith, Washington, Terrence Williams, and Kibodi all have the potential to keep up the pace. But it just makes me nervous to potentially stare at only having 4 or 5 healthy running backs.

Likewise, I think we are deep AND talented at defensive line. Never said we weren't. But of all the defensive linemen mentioned, only 2 are (barely) over 300, and only 3 are over 290. And at this time of the year, they're probably all lighter than that. I just think Humphrey's presence was huge, literally and figuratively.

Heck, I'm nervous about punter. We only have two.

I'm glad we have 5 kickers on the roster. Two years ago Almandares was a huge find, but last year he got hurt and we had to depend on Snyder?

I think we're loaded at receiver. We're load in the back on defense. If the offensive line does well, we're set for a few years.

These are just thoughts and observations. That's all.

7. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    What does this mean exactly? UL has had a knack for recruiting some of the best RBs in the country for several years now.
    I think the runners, are there, but I'm not as sure they will benifit from the O-Line openings like the running crew from the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think we have plenty of talent at RB
    We’ve heard the same doubts for 3 sets of RB groups.

Harris/Fenroy
    Ragas/Calais/Mitchell
    Smith/Bailey/Johnson

We will be fine. We have some fantastic backs that will get their opportunities this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post

I never said we didn't have talent at running back. The number of players at the position causes me some concern.

I see Zylan filling the Chris Smith role, but in two years. It has already been said Zylan will probably be red-shirted. Now we're downt to 6.

Chaz Ward has played in 24 games, started 9, and has 781 yards on 247 carries, averaging 3.1 yards an attempt. Playing for Lamar. He's a load and hopefully his game translates better here and he benefits from a better offensive line. But if it doesn't.....now we're at 5.

I think Smith, Washington, Terrence Williams, and Kibodi all have the potential to keep up the pace. But it just makes me nervous to potentially stare at only having 4 or 5 healthy running backs.

Likewise, I think we are deep AND talented at defensive line. Never said we weren't. But of all the defensive linemen mentioned, only 2 are (barely) over 300, and only 3 are over 290. And at this time of the year, they're probably all lighter than that. I just think Humphrey's presence was huge, literally and figuratively.

I'm glad we have 5 kickers on the roster. Two years ago Almandares was a huge find, but last year he got hurt and we had to depend on Snyder?

I think we're loaded at receiver. We're load in the back on defense. If the offensive line does well, we're set for a few years.

About Zylan: First, red shirt player can play in four games. Second, if he is needed and ready, the red shirt can come off easily enough.

Thanks for the report T.

11. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

This guy does not a monkey around? Appreciate the insight.

Thanks for clarifying your previous post. Let me make this point to you and it isn't being sarcastic. Hutchison, Nelson and Hazard are all right at 300lbs. Humphreys will be missed, but he wasn't playing every snap in a game, he was barely capable of playing 60 percent of the snaps at times because of his size. There is only one P5 team on the schedule, the defense will be fine. JMO

13. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    About Zylan: First, red shirt player can play in four games. Second, if he is needed and ready, the red shirt can come off easily enough.
    That’s right thinking Crawfish.

14. Default Re: A Few Practice Observations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Thanks for clarifying your previous post. Let me make this point to you and it isn't being sarcastic. Hutchison, Nelson and Hazard are all right at 300lbs. Humphreys will be missed, but he wasn't playing every snap in a game, he was barely capable of playing 60 percent of the snaps at times because of his size. There is only one P5 team on the schedule, the defense will be fine. JMO
    Third down is a third of a threes and out series. BigSauce was not getting moved. Almost two thirds of a three and out. He’s going to be missed, but that’s the norm in college. The good ones rarely get four years with you.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post

It's pretty incredible the quality of olinemen that we have had the last few years
    I wonder if O'Cyrus Torrence would be a pre-sesaon All-American if he was still a Ragin Cajun and not a Florida Gator!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information