Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Summer of 2022: Unprecedented media silence

Default Re: Unprecedented media silence

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    So if a UL coach going on the school’s most popular fan podcast would be “small timing things,” what does that say about the likes of Kendall Rogers, Adam Amin, Tim Brando, Phil Steele, Chris Vannini, and Emory Hunt?

Head coaches go on fan podcasts all the time. Look no further than some of our conference members.
    I think Jays pod cast is the most popular for UL fans. I do Jays and Scott’s with the coaches during the seasons.

2. Default Re: Unprecedented media silence

As someone who listens to 70 podcasts a week, I firmly belive that for a podcast to be as successful as it can be it has to be weekly and year round.

I still prefer to read a story than hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    As someone who listens to 70 podcasts a week, I firmly belive that for a podcast to be as successful as it can be it has to be weekly and year round.

I still prefer to read a story than hear about it.
    Same. That's why I appreciate the way RR posts their newest podcasts with timestamps to different topics. Listening to podcasts in the truck is my preferred way to listen through and through, but if I'm listening at home I like to skip to topics that interest me most.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    So if a UL coach going on the school’s most popular fan podcast would be “small timing things,” what does that say about the likes of Kendall Rogers, Adam Amin, Tim Brando, Phil Steele, Chris Vannini, and Emory Hunt?

Head coaches go on fan podcasts all the time. Look no further than some of our conference members.

5. Default Re: Unprecedented media silence

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    You want @SunBelt interviews? We got Sun Belt interviews!
    Lol. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    You want @SunBelt interviews? We got Sun Belt interviews!
    Have they interviewed any UL coaches or players? No they haven't so it's not just the RR guys that aren't being granted interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It’s in the works..
    Then I will be one of your biggest fans & pests. Might I make another suggestion along with that one? When you do your podcasts, if it's possible a lot of these guys are doing them live with interactive feeds by the listeners as well as posting them for later use. It makes for great banter & I'm pretty sure they have it set up where they can post the questions they pick out as they answer the questions. They even have options to pay for an answer to make certain they give some kind of response to subsidize the program. You probably already know what I'm referring to.

But I believe that will gain you a foothold of a very strong audience & will gain you the recognition of not just being a fan, but true media to the point the university would have to recognize your importance to the program. There's no doubt this program needs a guy like you to step up & be that guy. You know we're moving into a new age of opportunity, but also one of possible pitfalls & mistakes which could set this program back from all of the progress it has made in this short time span. Guys like you can help this program increase it's footprint exponentially & generate some much needed excitement that quite frankly is lacking right now for a school which just posted it's first double digit win top 20 seasons in back to back years.

I was around USM during the Bobby Collins era & even though USM was put on probation they still carried that momentum for several years after his departure. So much so that they outrecruited Ole Miss & MSU for about a decade. But that excitement faded away & they fell back again because they didn't have a strong enough fan base driven by the types of programming I know you & a few others want to bring to UL. But it has to be easily accessible for guys like me who are fans, but not the most computer efficient & not the most self driven. You can be a big force for this program if you commit to.

8. Default Re: Unprecedented media silence

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Have they interviewed any UL coaches or players? No they haven't so it's not just the RR guys that aren't being granted interviews.
    Not 100% sure, but pretty sure he interviewed Rocc on the field after the ULM game.

9. Default Re: Unprecedented media silence

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Then I will be one of your biggest fans & pests. Might I make another suggestion along with that one? When you do your podcasts, if it's possible a lot of these guys are doing them live with interactive feeds by the listeners as well as posting them for later use. It makes for great banter & I'm pretty sure they have it set up where they can post the questions they pick out as they answer the questions. They even have options to pay for an answer to make certain they give some kind of response to subsidize the program. You probably already know what I'm referring to.

But I believe that will gain you a foothold of a very strong audience & will gain you the recognition of not just being a fan, but true media to the point the university would have to recognize your importance to the program. There's no doubt this program needs a guy like you to step up & be that guy. You know we're moving into a new age of opportunity, but also one of possible pitfalls & mistakes which could set this program back from all of the progress it has made in this short time span. Guys like you can help this program increase it's footprint exponentially & generate some much needed excitement that quite frankly is lacking right now for a school which just posted it's first double digit win top 20 seasons in back to back years.

I was around USM during the Bobby Collins era & even though USM was put on probation they still carried that momentum for several years after his departure. So much so that they outrecruited Ole Miss & MSU for about a decade. But that excitement faded away & they fell back again because they didn't have a strong enough fan base driven by the types of programming I know you & a few others want to bring to UL. But it has to be easily accessible for guys like me who are fans, but not the most computer efficient & not the most self driven. You can be a big force for this program if you commit to.
    We will have a live, interact setup this season. We'll also have a live reaction show with the ability to "call in" after each football game.

Couple things:
    First and absolute foremost - Nick, Gerry & Myself are a team. A damn good one. We care about UL athletics more than any 3 people I have ever come across. Just want to make sure that because I'm the vocal one on RP, that doesn't get lost on posters.

None of us have the desire to be "true media." You have to play the game once you get to be true media, and the idea that the communications department could control our content just makes me want to vomit. It wouldn't be worth doing. The entire existence of the podcast format is to challenge traditional media. "Guys like me" try to expand the footprint of this university all of the time. But every time a media outlet (of sorts) pops up, the legacy types do everything in their power to squash it. We just didn't give up when they tried and we've been fortunate enough to succeed, in many respects. A smart communications department would try to work WITH us not AGAINST us, but they view RR and really everyone else that isn't under their umbrella as a threat. Imagine in LSU operated that way; or Clemson; or Texas, etc etc etc. All have big time, viable fan podcasts with substantial followings. We want to act big time, but we still USL plenty of stuff. We've done 4 years, hundreds of episodes and interviewed the biggest names in CFB. Absolutely no risk, no harm and no reason not to give us the opportunity. It all comes down to small time, control the message, tribalism.

For people like you that are actively looking for good, genuine, Cajuns coverage, I think we've been something they've come to count on. The numbers certainly support that theory. And trust me, we've committed. It's been nothing short of a part time (and sometimes full time) job to create the content, edit the content, book the interviews, add the different changes over time, add the little things that make us stand out, meet about segments, promote.. on and on and on and on. Gerry has a little one now, my kids are getting older, Nick is all over with work. This ____ is not easy. We're committed. But when our own administration constantly works against us, makes you wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.

At any rate, plenty ahead for RR.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Any random person can start a podcast. Yes, people who are employed in media have more credibility when it comes to being granted interviews.
    I agree that media is more often "granted interviews" when compared to podcasts.

Which means guys like George Faust (the laziest man in sports) gets the interviews.

...but if I'm stuck listening to network guys, I'd rather watch/listen to Karaski Melvin (weekend anchor since April 2022) as opposed to Faust (19 years as an anchor at KLFY).

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I agree that media is more often "granted interviews" when compared to podcasts.

Which means guys like George Faust (the laziest man in sports) gets the interviews.

...but if I'm stuck listening to network guys, I'd rather watch/listen to Karaski Melvin (weekend anchor since April 2022) as opposed to Faust (19 years as an anchor at KLFY).
    The new guys have all been great the past few years. Kushner was great. Lewis & Fitzpatrick also do great jobs. Faust is a homer so expect tons of Ole Miss & Notre Dame posts. The Lafayette market is a stepping stone for the younger news/sportscasters. That won't change any time soon. We will see more top notch talent in the area but won't stay long.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post

Say what you want about George he is the only TV personality that does a 30 minute show every weekend exclusively on UL sports. No one else in our market is doing that. Closes thing we have now to a coaches TV show.

We will have a live, interact setup this season. We'll also have a live reaction show with the ability to "call in" after each football game.

Couple things:
    First and absolute foremost - Nick, Gerry & Myself are a team. A damn good one. We care about UL athletics more than any 3 people I have ever come across. Just want to make sure that because I'm the vocal one on RP, that doesn't get lost on posters.

None of us have the desire to be "true media." You have to play the game once you get to be true media, and the idea that the communications department could control our content just makes me want to vomit. It wouldn't be worth doing. The entire existence of the podcast format is to challenge traditional media. "Guys like me" try to expand the footprint of this university all of the time. But every time a media outlet (of sorts) pops up, the legacy types do everything in their power to squash it. We just didn't give up when they tried and we've been fortunate enough to succeed, in many respects. A smart communications department would try to work WITH us not AGAINST us, but they view RR and really everyone else that isn't under their umbrella as a threat. Imagine in LSU operated that way; or Clemson; or Texas, etc etc etc. All have big time, viable fan podcasts with substantial followings. We want to act big time, but we still USL plenty of stuff. We've done 4 years, hundreds of episodes and interviewed the biggest names in CFB. Absolutely no risk, no harm and no reason not to give us the opportunity. It all comes down to small time, control the message, tribalism.

For people like you that are actively looking for good, genuine, Cajuns coverage, I think we've been something they've come to count on. The numbers certainly support that theory. And trust me, we've committed. It's been nothing short of a part time (and sometimes full time) job to create the content, edit the content, book the interviews, add the different changes over time, add the little things that make us stand out, meet about segments, promote.. on and on and on and on. Gerry has a little one now, my kids are getting older, Nick is all over with work. This ____ is not easy. We're committed. But when our own administration constantly works against us, makes you wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Also these guys have excellent fan interaction on the RR twitter space. This pod has taken off with the addition of Nick. Great chemistry all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Say what you want about George he is the only TV personality that does a 30 minute show every weekend exclusively on UL sports. No one else in our market is doing that. Closes thing we have now to a coaches TV show.
    Dude channel 10 sports suck.

Couple things:

Now that sounds like fun. Do me a BIG favor & post this so even eye can't miss it. I have no doubt it's been a battle. But you get on you tube live like that & you will become the biggest thing in Lafayette. Look at it this way, If Mike Scarborough & that other dude ( aka known as who the f0@k cares) can have the audience they have for their drivel, you should easily top out at, hell I don't even want to guess because I don't wan to limit the number, but I'd say well over 10,000 per live event during a big week. the post game shows should really get a huge crowd as well. Let's do it!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information