Thread: Vin Scully passes away

Default Vin Scully passes away

Vin Scully the iconic play by play announcer for so many sporting events has passed away at 94 years old.

https://www.mlb.com/news/vin-scully-.announcer-dies

2. Default Re: Vin Scully passes away

Default Re: Vin Scully passes away

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Vin Scully the iconic play by play announcer for so many sporting events has passed away at 94 years old.

https://www.mlb.com/news/vin-scully-.announcer-dies
    I know the Dodger family and Jay are hurting this morning. But MLB has lost an icon, he was simply the best to ever been behind the microphone. He was truly a legend in the industry, and I'm biased as heck when it comes to the Dodgers.

RIP Mr. Scully.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I know the Dodger family and Jay are hurting this morning. But MLB has lost an icon, he was simply the best to ever been behind the microphone. He was truly a legend in the industry, and I'm biased as heck when it comes to the Dodgers.
    How ironic I was watching the Dodgers on my MLB app when the news broke. I don't know how Joe Davis held it together.

Many of you know this.when the Dodgers moved to LA they played at the Memorial Coliseum which had a capacity of over 90,000. Because it was a football facility, there were a ton of seats that were, to say the least, distant viewing. The transistor radio was a relatively new invention in 1958 and fans began bringing their radio to the game and listen to Vin describe the action so they would feel a part of it. Even after the Dodgers moved to Chavez Ravine in 1962, the tradition continued. I remember watching a World Series and you could hear Scully's play by play bleed over onto the television. I am always appreciative when fans bring their radio to Russo Park and I'm reminded of Vin Scully every time.

When I think of him, there are four calls that come to mind.

THE MADISON BUMGARNER SNAKE STORY: Google it. It's amazing.

THE GIBSON HOME RUN: In a year of improbables, the impossible has happened.

AARON'S 715: We hear the Milo Hamilton call all the time. But Scully stayed silent for a couple of minutes and then called the social significance of a black man in the deep south getting a standing ovation after breaking baseball's most iconic record.

But my favorite, hands down, is the 9th inning of Sandy Koufax's perfect game. It's pure magic. I played that on my radio show more than once.

You don't have to be a Dodger fan to hurt. We've lost the most iconic voice in sports broadcasting history.

Completely agree Jay. I’m nowhere close to being a fan of the Dodgers, but as a huge baseball fan (and other sports as well), Vin Skully was THE best to ever do it.

Jay is correct. Vin Scully was the GOAT.

My favorite thing he did was not his calls of big moments, which were timeless, but his description of everything else. From the famous snake story to his description of the weather, he painted a picture for the listener.

All of the greats did this. It came from having an audience that could not see the game. Today, there is no game you can't see. Technology does not make all things better.

Thread Information