Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana's SuccessfUL 3-0 Puerto Rico Tour

1. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Wake me up when Marlin is gone.
    He is going to Puerto Rico, does that count?

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This trip works good as a recruiting tool.

However, the extra money game will go a lot farther way towards improving the tested quality of this team than the trip will.

Can they do 5 more money games?
    We are required to have 14 home games due to Learfield contract. So we can’t do 5 money games with other road games already having set contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Instead of playing an extra money game to pay for this trip, why not play an extra road game to buy out marlin?
    The retention decision was made in late March. The opportunity to go to Puerto Rico was something that recently arose. In order for the players to get the benefit of this experience, the way to pay for it was concluded to be a payday game. Too late at this point to change the coaching decision. That would not be fair to the three recruits brought on board in the spring signing period. Next March, the staff decision will once again come up. I am pretty sure no buy out will be involved if a change is made at that point. With the situation as such, I don’t understand why anyone would want to deprive our athletes of what should be a great educational experience. Focus on this decision was mainly made for the benefit of the players, not the coaches.

Instead of playing an extra money game to pay for this trip, why not play an extra road game to buy out marlin?
    Why would we remove a coach with a 75% winning percentage

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The retention decision was made in late March. The opportunity to go to Puerto Rico was something that recently arose. In order for the players to get the benefit of this experience, the way to pay for it was concluded to be a payday game. Too late at this point to change the coaching decision. That would not be fair to the three recruits brought on board in the spring signing period. Next March, the staff decision will once again come up. I am pretty sure no buy out will be involved if a change is made at that point. With the situation as such, I don’t understand why anyone would want to deprive our athletes of what should be a great educational experience. Focus on this decision was mainly made for the benefit of the players, not the coaches.
    This seems like a very serious answer for a comment that was clearly tongue-in-cheek

6. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    This seems like a very serious answer for a comment that was clearly tongue-in-cheek
    Serious answers are condemned here when it pertains to certain subjects.

7. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We are required to have 14 home games due to Learfield contract. So we can’t do 5 money games with other road games already having set contracts.
    It would be nice to be able to say Marlin used to play a tough road schedule when he had the chance. (obviously before Learfield)

8. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

An extra money game isn’t paying for this trip.

9. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

MAT and Mike seem to have diametrically opposing opinions on whether a money game is paying for the Puerto Rico trip. Go figure . . .

It’s just great to see there is obviously still great interest and care for hoops over in Lafayette.

I was told it was by someone I trust completely when it comes to MBB. Perhaps some funds were also raised if the road game was not enough. However, I was not asked to contribute and I have been in the past for things of this nature. Regardless, I don’t see why anyone would object to something that should provide a great experience for the players.

12. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

If it was used as a recruiting tool I'm all for it.

Generally though, great experiences should be reserved for the post season run.

Overseas trips are not available in the post season. My daughter went to PR in 2018. At that time the island was still struggling from hurricane devastation. They still are today. Benefit of a trip like this is players see people having less than they do and hopefully appreciate the good fortune they have of playing a game while on scholarship.

I imagine it helped in recruiting recently. We announce we sign a highly regarded player a week before we announce the trip. Basketball wise, the trip will help that guy due to the extra practices and games he will get to participate in. He missed most of summer workouts due to signing late. I think his name is Ratliff. He originally planned to play 2 years in prep school. When he changed his mind to play only one, it gave us the opportunity to bring him on board.

15. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Headed To Puerto Rico For Summer Tour

I meant post season play should be the great experience.

Great experiences should be reserved for the experience of post season play.

Keep the carrots in front not behind.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information