Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Athlon Sports QB Sunbelt QB Rankings

Default Re: Athlon Sports QB Sunbelt QB Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    This was my point in perhaps another thread. For those saying we won't even lose a game to a western opponent are you so sure? We didn't exactly tear those teams up aside from Texas State last year. And like you said, we lost a lot of depth and key starters, particularly on offense.
    As I previously posted on another thread, Phil Steele has Louisiana having the #130 out of 131 toughest schedule in the country. Only FIU has an easier schedule than UL. Last year we were #123. A very weak schedule should help keep the streak going. That said, scheduling has got to improve.

2. Default Re: Athlon Sports QB Sunbelt QB Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    As I previously posted on another thread, Phil Steele has Louisiana having the #130 out of 131 toughest schedule in the country. Only FIU has an easier schedule than UL. Last year we were #123. A very weak schedule should help keep the streak going. That said, scheduling has got to improve.
    Scheduling will improve specifically because of the conference we are in. We are in a bad situation this year (schedule wise) because we don't play App, Coastal and Georgia State (3 of the better teams in the conference us being 1 of those and Marshall being the last). Had we had all 3 of those even 2 of them our schedule would be much tougher. Add to that the fact that the West has been down and only Troy improves that based on last year, USM who will be back near the top soon, was horrendous last year. So just by virtue of our conference mates (next year we will get App or Coastal or GSU or some combination of them) our schedule will improve. Finally our OOC schedule is bad, now looking at this a few years ago you had no idea. EMU was 7-6 last year, this year they are predicted to be near the bottom of the MAC, in 2019 they were 6-7, 18 7-6. Most pundits don't think they will win but 3 or 4 games this year. FSU a traditional powerhouse in the ACC hasn't had a winning record since 2017, they are not expected to be a ton better this year, but who knows. Rice is traditionally bad and I get that, but it is a nice regional team that you can do a home and home with and SLU is a pretty good FCS team.

Again, I think UL, App, Coastal, Georgia State, Troy and Marshall will be the teams at the top of the conference this year. App, Coastal and Marshall in the East and UL and Troy (USA possibly) in the West. But considering we are missing out on 3 of the 4 best teams in the East it really weakens our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I have Phil Steele's magazine as well. What is his protection for UL this season? I think fans look at schedules and think last years results are predicators' as to what should happen this season. To me that's a 50/50 proposition with the changes in roster and staff. Had we returned some of those key contributors, I would be more optimistic in my projections of 8 wins regular season.

4. Default Re: Athlon Sports QB Sunbelt QB Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I have Phil Steele's magazine as well. What is his protection for UL this season? I think fans look at schedules and think last years results are predicators' as to what should happen this season. To me that's a 50/50 proposition with the changes in roster and staff. Had we returned some of those key contributors, I would be more optimistic in my projections of 8 wins regular season.
    He has us winning the West. He does say he does not expect us to win 13 games this year but does think we are the class of the West and will be facing App in the conference championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    He has us winning the West. He does say he does not expect us to win 13 games this year but does think we are the class of the West and will be facing App in the conference championship game.
    Exactly! So if we are using Phil Steele's magazine as a source then you can't ignore the fact he doesn't predict the Cajuns winning as many games. I fully expect other programs to improve in our division, including Troy and Arkansas St. Both those games were within 3 pts in our historical season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I don’t get the horse analogy. But right he didn’t name a starter at all that is why we are all speculating. I just watched Chandler, Ben, and Zeon’s Sr season hudl video while eating lunch. IMO when they were all at the same level and at the same age it wasn’t even close who had the most raw God given ability at the QB position. And it definitely wasn’t the 2 front runners. It is a message board that’s why you throw things out their and have a little fun with it.
    You need to go look at LL2's hudl video and let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Just my opinion, but Fields will set the single season passing record this year.
    The only reason I’d say I hope you’re wrong is because I’d like to be in a position to run the clock out in the 2nd half of every game.

I can at least dream…

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    You need to go look at LL2's hudl video and let me know what you think.
    I have watched it several times. I also got to see him in the spring game and in one spring practice. You would be correct in saying he is the best athlete. I don’t know if he will ever be able to read the defenses and process things fast enough to be a full time QB at this level. He looked slow confused and lost back there. But if he had the mental capacity to play the position the race would be over. Maybe a special type pre snap determined package just for him to use his athleticism?

I would not discount a healthy Hunter Herring in that mix either, who didn’t participate in spring. Napier was very high on him last year as a true freshman. He didn’t have Lance and Zeon either.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Scheduling will improve specifically because of the conference we are in. We are in a bad situation this year (schedule wise) because we don't play App, Coastal and Georgia State (3 of the better teams in the conference us being 1 of those and Marshall being the last). Had we had all 3 of those even 2 of them our schedule would be much tougher. Add to that the fact that the West has been down and only Troy improves that based on last year, USM who will be back near the top soon, was horrendous last year. So just by virtue of our conference mates (next year we will get App or Coastal or GSU or some combination of them) our schedule will improve. Finally our OOC schedule is bad, now looking at this a few years ago you had no idea. EMU was 7-6 last year, this year they are predicted to be near the bottom of the MAC, in 2019 they were 6-7, 18 7-6. Most pundits don't think they will win but 3 or 4 games this year. FSU a traditional powerhouse in the ACC hasn't had a winning record since 2017, they are not expected to be a ton better this year, but who knows. Rice is traditionally bad and I get that, but it is a nice regional team that you can do a home and home with and SLU is a pretty good FCS team.

Again, I think UL, App, Coastal, Georgia State, Troy and Marshall will be the teams at the top of the conference this year. App, Coastal and Marshall in the East and UL and Troy (USA possibly) in the West. But considering we are missing out on 3 of the 4 best teams in the East it really weakens our schedule.
    If and when So Miss, Ark St and Troy get back to what they once were the conference will be dang good and the schedule will be strong enough.

10. Default Re: Athlon Sports QB Sunbelt QB Rankings

I see Fields having the early edge due to being a dual threat. Woolridge is a statue back there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSaucey View Post
    I see Fields having the early edge due to being a dual threat. Woolridge is a statue back there.
    A statue? No

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    A statue? No
    He had a couple of really good runs in the spring game. I was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I have watched it several times. I also got to see him in the spring game and in one spring practice. You would be correct in saying he is the best athlete. I don’t know if he will ever be able to read the defenses and process things fast enough to be a full time QB at this level. He looked slow confused and lost back there. But if he had the mental capacity to play the position the race would be over. Maybe a special type pre snap determined package just for him to use his athleticism?

I would not discount a healthy Hunter Herring in that mix either, who didn’t participate in spring. Napier was very high on him last year as a true freshman. He didn’t have Lance and Zeon either.
    I'm at a disadvantage not being able to attend the last spring game nor any practices due to moving to W.Texas due to the china virus downturn. I'm moving back this month, just not sure the exact date.

I've seen a little of Hunter in the spring game 2021. He definitely has the potential and measurables, so does Zeon. I like Chandler, just not his measurables and he's no Levi when it comes to scrambling in the pocket or taking off downfield. If Levi didn't have that, do you think he would have been our starter these last few seasons?

Being able to see the field from the pocket is huge...and with the size (height) of the OL's these days, it's a huge factor, especially throwing the ball over the middle. We didn't see LL do that much at all, only when out of the pocket or throwing deep balls. I think its one reason we didn't throw much to our TE's very much as usually those routes our release routes off the line or something over the middle. Most picks occur in the middle of the field for a reason. So, if we were going to air it out this season, I like a guy that is tall enough to see downfield. Ben and Hunter are our tallest, LL2 and Zeon are close enough at 6'2". At 5'10", if accurate, that's tough. At 6' and with OL that probably averaged 6'2 to 6'3, it was difficult to see over them. We did throw some over the middle, but they were delay routes which usually opened throwing lanes between players. We did have square in routes, but that was from out outside receivers and we always called that play to the wide side of the field.

Drew Brees was excellent for a short QB, but they created throwing lanes for him with the pass blocking schemes and he relied on throwing to spots where his receiver was supposed to be at a specific time. Timing was everything for him to successful. Drew was a generational QB. We don't have one on the roster.

I've made this point several times before, so sorry for the regurgitation. One thing that helps shorter QB's throwing from the pocket is the shotgun snap. They get the ball 5 yards behind the center and then they can drop back a couple more steps to help see the field better. We had a 7 step drop from under center, which took a little more time to get there than a shotgun snap. But, we were able to look downfield as we dropped back rather than having to look at the shotgun snap and catch the ball before looking downfield. Easier to see coverage when you are not looking to catch the snap in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I'm at a disadvantage not being able to attend the last spring game nor any practices due to moving to W.Texas due to the china virus downturn. I'm moving back this month, just not sure the exact date.

I've seen a little of Hunter in the spring game 2021. He definitely has the potential and measurables, so does Zeon. I like Chandler, just not his measurables and he's no Levi when it comes to scrambling in the pocket or taking off downfield. If Levi didn't have that, do you think he would have been our starter these last few seasons?

Being able to see the field from the pocket is huge...and with the size (height) of the OL's these days, it's a huge factor, especially throwing the ball over the middle. We didn't see LL do that much at all, only when out of the pocket or throwing deep balls. I think its one reason we didn't throw much to our TE's very much as usually those routes our release routes off the line or something over the middle. Most picks occur in the middle of the field for a reason. So, if we were going to air it out this season, I like a guy that is tall enough to see downfield. Ben and Hunter are our tallest, LL2 and Zeon are close enough at 6'2". At 5'10", if accurate, that's tough. At 6' and with OL that probably averaged 6'2 to 6'3, it was difficult to see over them. We did throw some over the middle, but they were delay routes which usually opened throwing lanes between players. We did have square in routes, but that was from out outside receivers and we always called that play to the wide side of the field.

Drew Brees was excellent for a short QB, but they created throwing lanes for him with the pass blocking schemes and he relied on throwing to spots where his receiver was supposed to be at a specific time. Timing was everything for him to successful. Drew was a generational QB. We don't think we have one on the roster.

I've made this point several times before, so sorry for the regurgitation. One thing that helps shorter QB's throwing from the pocket is the shotgun snap. They get the ball 5 yards behind the center and then they can drop back a couple more steps to help see the field better. We had a 7 step drop from under center, which took a little more time to get there than a shotgun snap. But, we were able to look downfield as we dropped back rather than having to look at the shotgun snap and catch the ball before looking downfield. Easier to see coverage when you are not looking to catch the snap in the gun.
    Hunter did not practice in spring at all due to injury so he was out of the mix all spring and has some catching up to do.

It was very obviously that Chandler struggled in the pocket seeing down field over the lineman in the little bit of spring I saw. That can definitely be an issue for him. He just doesn’t seem to have that ability to do so like a Breese did.

If this dude could only read the D and get rid of it. It was obvious he struggled in the spring and held it way to long.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5285021/Lance-Legendre

Quote Originally Posted by BigSaucey View Post
    You haven't watched his video at Fresno State. He's perfectly mobile and capable of running Zone Read.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information