Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Throwback Mascot, Anyone?

Default Throwback Mascot, Anyone?

Due to the on-going discussions about our lack of a mascot, I found a recent post on the ‘Lafayette Memories’ Facebook page kind of interesting. Since some prob don’t venture into the fb world, thought I’d share it here:

1982: LAFAYETTE HISTORY.

WHAT DOES A ‘RAGIN’ CAJUN’ LOOK LIKE?

From the Lafayette Daily Advertiser of August 20th, 1982:

SO THAT’S WHAT A USL RAGIN’ CAJUN LOOKS LIKE?

Ever wonder what a Ragin’ Cajun is supposed to look like? So did the University of Southwestern Louisiana, which claims it as a mascot.

After a months-long contest, the university today announced the winners of its Ragin’ Cajun mascot design contest. USL will use the mascot for athletic events and on sports-related publications and promotional material.

Anne Sargent of New Iberia took the first place prize of $1,000 with a rendition of a shotgun-carrying hunter figure riding a giant crawfish, gripping the creature’s feelers as reigns.

“This Ragin’ Cajun can be a fun part of the USL football games,” Sargent writes in her explanation of the design. “The crawfish he is riding on can be constructed around a three-wheeled vehicle. He can lead the football team onto the field before games, riding the crawfish.”

Second place prize of $100 went to Fern Martin, a Lafayette advertising illustrator. Her rendition shows a menacing figure restraining a large alligator with a chain leash.

A committee of USL students, faculty and alumni evaluated the 80 different renditions submitted in the contest. According to committee chairman Fred Packard, a professor of art at USL, the committee reached a quick consensus on the winner.

Packard said that Sargent’s design was chosen because of the concept of the Ragin’ Cajun riding a crawfish. The awards were made on the basis of concept rather than the specific visual representation presented.

Ideas for the Ragin’ Cajun figure ranged from amalgams of different animal parts (among them crawfish, pelicans, raccoons, armadillos), to an “E.T.C.” (extraterrestrial Cajun) to human figures in a variety of costumes and attitudes.
    Lafayette Daily Advertiser 8/20/1982.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Default Re: Mascot, anyone?

I've been all up and down the Louisiana room archives and I've never seen this before.

Nice find.

Default Re: Mascot, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I've been all up and down the Louisiana room archives and I've never seen this before.

Nice find.
    Yeah, I’d never seen it either, and was in school in 1982. Well, at least I was enrolled that year, lol.

4. Default Re: Mascot, anyone?

Love that mascot rendering just gotta tell the pansy gallery out there the shotgun stays and that the crawfish isn't being oppressed in order to keep them from protesting/ whining.

LCF, speaking of mascots, you (or anyone) have the gifs/jpeg of the two tombstones from Ruston? It’s the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    LCF, speaking of mascots, you (or anyone) have the gifs/jpeg of the two tombstones from Ruston? It’s the season.
    These the ones you talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by ron vorpe View Post
    Love that mascot rendering just gotta tell the pansy gallery out there the shotgun stays and that the crawfish isn't being oppressed in order to keep them from protesting/ whining.
    Did you just assume it's species???

8. Default Re: Mascot, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Did you just assume it's species???
    Shrimp head, Lobster pinchers, Crawfish tail.

Default Re: Throwback Mascot, Anyone?

The Bud Man was the best mascot we ever had!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    The Bud Man was the best mascot we ever had!!!
    Yes! Way over due to bring Budweiser man back! And we could get them to sponsor NIL players!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    These the ones you talking about?
    Yes sir! Ten year anniversary tomorrow. Things they’ll never live down.

Why NOT Budman? Times have changed.

What one thing is common across the Cajun Culture???? BEER!!! Geaux Bud Man! Great costume, widely recognized, sponsor opportunities, And.....$2 bud at all events. I’m all in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Due to the on-going discussions about our lack of a mascot, I found a recent post on the ‘Lafayette Memories’ Facebook page kind of interesting. Since some prob don’t venture into the fb world, thought I’d share it here:

1982: LAFAYETTE HISTORY.

WHAT DOES A ‘RAGIN’ CAJUN’ LOOK LIKE?

From the Lafayette Daily Advertiser of August 20th, 1982:

SO THAT’S WHAT A USL RAGIN’ CAJUN LOOKS LIKE?

Ever wonder what a Ragin’ Cajun is supposed to look like? So did the University of Southwestern Louisiana, which claims it as a mascot.

After a months-long contest, the university today announced the winners of its Ragin’ Cajun mascot design contest. USL will use the mascot for athletic events and on sports-related publications and promotional material.

Anne Sargent of New Iberia took the first place prize of $1,000 with a rendition of a shotgun-carrying hunter figure riding a giant crawfish, gripping the creature’s feelers as reigns.

“This Ragin’ Cajun can be a fun part of the USL football games,” Sargent writes in her explanation of the design. “The crawfish he is riding on can be constructed around a three-wheeled vehicle. He can lead the football team onto the field before games, riding the crawfish.”

Second place prize of $100 went to Fern Martin, a Lafayette advertising illustrator. Her rendition shows a menacing figure restraining a large alligator with a chain leash.

A committee of USL students, faculty and alumni evaluated the 80 different renditions submitted in the contest. According to committee chairman Fred Packard, a professor of art at USL, the committee reached a quick consensus on the winner.

Packard said that Sargent’s design was chosen because of the concept of the Ragin’ Cajun riding a crawfish. The awards were made on the basis of concept rather than the specific visual representation presented.

Ideas for the Ragin’ Cajun figure ranged from amalgams of different animal parts (among them crawfish, pelicans, raccoons, armadillos), to an “E.T.C.” (extraterrestrial Cajun) to human figures in a variety of costumes and attitudes.
    Lafayette Daily Advertiser 8/20/1982.
    My 1st Freshman year was fall of '82. I have no memory of this whatsoever. '82 and a good part of '83, nothing at all ;-)

I would say my avatar is 100% exactly what a throwback Cajun should look like

I finished UL and moved to Houston in ‘81. U(S)L had a great basketball team and was playing “phi slamma jamma” (national champs that year) in Houston. I went to the game. When the Cajuns ran out, they were led by “The Bud Man” (Russell Heim). Got a great roar from the crowd and was the lead in on Houston Sports on the news. U L quickly changed to the Cajun Chicken following. Great times!!

my icon!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information