Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Of course he is missing the picture. How can you expect someone who never played any kind of sports in school to understand the need for a team building environment, especially with a new regime. And yes I know Des was here last year. But not as a head coach & many of his assistants are brand new as well. Of course if they get off to a less than stellar start, you can rest assured the koolaid drinkers will be the first ones to attack anyone who questions the methods which might have led to that underachievement. I'm not wishing for bad things. But these guys are still 18-20 somethings with a lot of raging hormones & ideas of having fun that most of them weren't allowed to do at home. I think any time you give your team a greater sense of family you strengthen their desire to play harder for each other.
    You notice how all the people who say we aren’t allowed to question this decision say so just because Des said so that is that. No one has offered why they think this new way of doing it will be better in a team building aspect. Why will this new change lead to the team being more focused and less distracted than the way it was done before? No one explains how its going to be an improvement to camp over the way that Billy did it. It’s just Des said it who cares if Billy, Nick and Dabo disagree they are not Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Try less than 45 on scholarship.
    Dang I knew it was low. Couldn’t remember exactly how low.

3. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    Questioning as to why one is getting away from a very proven successful method that is very widely used throughout all of college football is not sabotaging. Since when do we live in a world where it is not ok to question? The only place I know in our society today that you are not allowed to question is if you question the corrupt leftest. They will put these fake fact checkers out on your question. To my knowledge it is still OK to question a college football coach.
    You are not questioning, you are predicting, and predicting bad things that have not happened. Give it a break.

Cajun Pop and Gaston are going to be loads of fun this football season....They can't wait to be a part of the RPCA...

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A lot to unpack here. I’ll be brief.

1) Zero hatred for Hudspeth. Had a personal relationship with the man. But facts are facts. The culture was toxic after about year 2.5.
    2) I’m not discounting the need for debate. You’re correct that things are up in the air. But I’ll say again, agendas were defined immediately after Mike was named coach. It’s very obvious what’s happening every time someone starts with this kind of crap.
    3) If you don’t think that Rickey changed a lot of things around here, I’ll have to question how closely you follow this program. Hudspeth took Bustle’s players and won with them. You want to argue that he wasn’t energetic and great at X & O’s? That’s another conversation. But he changed the course of our program, with regard to how to build and maintain.
    4) Supporting Mike as our coach before he’s even completed his first off season has nothing to do with being self serving. It’s something we should all be doing. In fact, because he’s a local son, former player and coach, and life long supporter of this place, he should be given an extra layer of support, regardless of what happens this first few months, in my opinion. This guy has inherited a program going through enormous change, a fickle ass fanbase and almost unfair expectations. The last thing he needs is our hardcore fans starting ____ over nothing.

I’m going to choose to support this guy until he gives me a real reason to doubt him. Because he deserves that.
    And you are a hell of a debater.
    on point one- I know there were a lot of "established real UL backers" who hated Mark Hudspeth the minute he got here. The guy was stand offish & Bustle was a nice likable guy. It didn't help him win a single football game. Your previous post reminded me of that.

Which leads me to point 3) The only standard Bustle set was sub standard. He had nine years, so the old blame the other guy routine is out. The man never had a winning season in nine years. And his last season he couldn't win more than three games with the same players the other guy came in & won 9 with his first year. Scoreboard on that point.

point 2) I'm not against Mike at all. And I'm certainly have no intention of sabotaging his tenure here unless he sucks as a coach. Then all bets are off. But in my mind, to question a major huge philosophical shift back to a time when the program was NOT successful is not in any way sabotage. And since I didn't chime in until page 11 or so, I'll go a step further & say I read every single post on this matter before I made my first post to purposely try to not speak out of turn without further knowledge.

Finally point 4- Unlike other UL fans, I realize already that Mike is going to have some special challenges that are going to be working against him. So, I' not going to expect this team to win 10, 11, or 12 games this season. I understand that he's following a legend. I understand that this team lost a LOT of great players as well as great leadership from last year's team, especially at the quarterback position.

But I can tell you what I do expect. I expect competitiveness. I expect a team that doesn't look like the keystone cops the first three weeks of the season because no one is on the same page. They might get physically beaten, but don't have guys lining up wrong & having to use precious timeouts because players either aren't on the field, or there is mass confusion among everyone. Don't let guys run free all over your defense because no one knows who is supposed to cover who. If this occurs on an even semi regular basis, you can darn well bet this very thread will be revisited over & over again. And it won't be pretty. And it shouldn't be pretty because it will be someone's fault. And that fault will only go to the guy calling the shots. And that my friend is the way it is, fair, or unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Try less than 45 on scholarship.
    The same reason they less than 45 on scholly is the same reason they had the coaching staff they had. Who was responsible for that?

The same reason they less than 45 on scholly is the same reason they had the coaching staff they had. Who was responsible for that?
    Baldwin?

on point one- I know there were a lot of "established real UL backers" who hated Mark Hudspeth the minute he got here. The guy was stand offish & Bustle was a nice likable guy. It didn't help him win a single football game. Your previous post reminded me of that.

Which leads me to point 3) The only standard Bustle set was sub standard. He had nine years, so the old blame the other guy routine is out. The man never had a winning season in nine years. And his last season he couldn't win more than three games with the same players the other guy came in & won 9 with his first year. Scoreboard on that point.

point 2) I'm not against Mike at all. And I'm certainly have no intention of sabotaging his tenure here unless he sucks as a coach. Then all bets are off. But in my mind, to question a major huge philosophical shift back to a time when the program was NOT successful is not in any way sabotage. And since I didn't chime in until page 11 or so, I'll go a step further & say I read every single post on this matter before I made my first post to purposely try to not speak out of turn without further knowledge.

Finally point 4- Unlike other UL fans, I realize already that Mike is going to have some special challenges that are going to be working against him. So, I' not going to expect this team to win 10, 11, or 12 games this season. I understand that he's following a legend. I understand that this team lost a LOT of great players as well as great leadership from last year's team, especially at the quarterback position.

But I can tell you what I do expect. I expect competitiveness. I expect a team that doesn't look like the keystone cops the first three weeks of the season because no one is on the same page. They might get physically beaten, but don't have guys lining up wrong & having to use precious timeouts because players either aren't on the field, or there is mass confusion among everyone. Don't let guys run free all over your defense because no one knows who is supposed to cover who. If this occurs on an even semi regular basis, you can darn well bet this very thread will be revisited over & over again. And it won't be pretty. And it shouldn't be pretty because it will be someone's fault. And that fault will only go to the guy calling the shots. And that my friend is the way it is, fair, or unfair.
    Actually Coach Bustle had a winning season in 2005 with a record of 6 and 5. As far as the fall camp player residence decision, I suggest we allow Coach Dez to explain his decision in that regard. I am sure he will be asked about that come media day. That probably will coincide with reporting day later this week. We may or may not like his rationale but at least we should hear his viewpoint before finalizing our opinions. Also, one thing that encouraged me during the spring game was the team that exhibited few mental mistakes. We saw few penalties or unforced turnovers that day. The team may have enough discipline to handle the camp change.

9. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post

Actually Coach Bustle had a winning season in 2005 with a record of 6 and 5. As far as the fall camp player residence decision, I suggest we allow Coach Dez to explain his decision in that regard. I am sure he will be asked about that come media day. That probably will coincide with reportsing day later this week. We may or may not like his rationale but at least we should hear his viewpoint before finalizing our opinions.
    Or sentencing him as a failure before there are any results established. We good at that here. Remember that legend coach playing Levi?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Cajun Pop and Gaston are going to be loads of fun this football season....They can't wait to be a part of the RPCA...

Make no mistake I am 100% pulling for Des and hope that he wins more games here in the shortest amount of time than any other coach in history. I hope he can have a career similar to our last coach who’s name ended in aux.

1) Zero hatred for Hudspeth. Had a personal relationship with the man. But facts are facts. The culture was toxic after about year 2.5.
    2) I’m not discounting the need for debate. You’re correct that things are up in the air. But I’ll say again, agendas were defined immediately after Mike was named coach. It’s very obvious what’s happening every time someone starts with this kind of crap.
    3) If you don’t think that Rickey changed a lot of things around here, I’ll have to question how closely you follow this program. Hudspeth took Bustle’s players and won with them. You want to argue that he wasn’t energetic and great at X & O’s? That’s another conversation. But he changed the course of our program, with regard to how to build and maintain.
    4) Supporting Mike as our coach before he’s even completed his first off season has nothing to do with being self serving. It’s something we should all be doing. In fact, because he’s a local son, former player and coach, and life long supporter of this place, he should be given an extra layer of support, regardless of what happens this first few months, in my opinion. This guy has inherited a program going through enormous change, a fickle ass fanbase and almost unfair expectations. The last thing he needs is our hardcore fans starting ____ over nothing.

I’m going to choose to support this guy until he gives me a real reason to doubt him. Because he deserves that.

Agree with you except the extra layer of support. It's the largest moneymaker, it needs to be strickly business.

We have three local coaches who finished 5th, 5th and last in 21-22, and excuses abound. Track is the only one that had NCAA championship level participation in the last decade, but hey, it's ok. They're all one of us.

Heck, even the last bastion of hiring favorite sons, McLeast, finally figured that is not the model for success.

I don’t think any one on this message board is not supporting mike to do well. Questioning why a guy made a decision he did does not mean one is not pulling for him to succeed .

13. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Touché.

But let’s remember Bustle was recruiting to Butler buildings and ham sub dinners. He also built the roster that would become HUD’s 2 best teams. He also jump started the facilities fund raising campaigns that we enjoy to this day.

I’m no Bustle sycophant, but I appreciate the intangibles that he brought to Lafayette. And credit to Mark for capitalizing on them.

I want to stress that I’m not against questions things. The opposite is actually true. What I’m most concerned with is giving our program a chance, post Napier, to transition into a new era of success. That might require some patience and yes, even some forgiving of things early on in the Des regime. He’s a first year HC. Yes, he’s been handed the keys to a healthy program. Probably the most healthy transition of power in our history. But he will have land mines to navigate. Our fans shouldn’t be one of those land mines.

And from the very beginning, I just disagree with the idea that this is a colossal breach in the sovereignty of our program’s process. Its two weeks, with guys still spending 14 hours a day in the complex. Just me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    Baldwin?
    Did he hire himself?

Kids have lived off campus during camp too.
    What people aren’t understanding is how media is done now. We have an ex-Tech, UL hating reporter for the AdverTiger doing embarrassing work on our program right now. Dude is just waiting for a negative slant to start hammering Mike. And he’s lazy, like most print “journalists” are now days. He will come here and start using info. Incorrect info, but he doesn’t care.

And it’s not just him. Outside of Foote, no one really does real reporting on our team anymore. Their “news” comes from twitter and here.

I’m not trying to say don’t ask questions. Hell, I am the king of questioning. But keep things into perspective and remember what we’re up against. People don’t want to see UL stay on top in this state. They’ll find anything they can to topple us.
    Hell, if I hadn’t known he already left, I’d have thought you were just describing Tim Buckley.

I’ll give the Diaz guy a shot, but sounds like he’s already run with and printed false info on other matters.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information