Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It’s amazing how they are “kids” when it comes to policing themselves but adults when they’re doing other things off of the field.. Like exercising their rights.. Very interesting
    No they were definitely kids when they were exercising their rights and the boneheaded decisions they made showed it. Unfortunately because of the role they play they are scrutinized a little more than other kids and some people make their financial decisions on how to spend their discretionary, based on those boneheaded mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    If you have good leadership the team polices itself. The leadership takes command of the others. Des obviously trusts their leadership.

Coach Deggs talked recently about getting a text at 1am from one of his leaders. He said a player had missed curfew and would not be available for the conference championship game.

That's called policing yourself.

I heard the Deggs interview. They were in a hotel all together, which is why the leaders knew the kid missed curfew. Now they are spread out all over Lafayette it will be hard for the leaders to know who is doing what.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I heard the Deggs interview. They were in a hotel all together, which is why the leaders knew the kid missed curfew. Now they are spread out all over Lafayette it will be hard for the leaders to know who is doing what.
    You missed the point. When you have good leadership they make sure their teammates do the right thing.

It's always so weird to me that people think they will have thought of the possible drawbacks to a decision like this, but CMD wouldn't have. He obviously has, and has made a decision. Up to and until it doesn't work, this is a non issue, IMO.

You missed the point. When you have good leadership they make sure their teammates do the right thing.
    I think i understand you. But my point is at 11 at night even with the best leaders if you got some bad apples, the leaders won’t have a clue, as to what they are doing, if they are all spread out across Lafayette. Sure they will take control of the locker room but not each and every apartment / rent house.

I equate the mental prep, rest, preparation, and focus needed for camp to that of a Saturday game. Do you think the policy will be changed for Friday before game day also where they can all stay at home, like the old days, rather than a team hotel?

I am curious with Des kinda going back to old school if he will open practice up like coaches did when he was a player. As some one who played his whole life through high school, I used to love watching the first couple of days in pads and watching the Oklahoma and one on one lineman drills. To me that is more fun than an actual game. I think most people who have played in the trenches, participated in practices and really appreciate the game would tell you the same. You get to see who is really the toughest out there man on man.

I recall watching Tyrell Fenroy's very first practice in pads as Cajun. All the hype going into camp was about the highly recruited Deon Wallace who was supposed to be the next great thing. I watched Fenroy run Oklahoma drills 3 or 4 times and called my brothers and said remember the name Fenroy fellas he's going to be special. I had watched Pryor, Brister, Johnson, Joseph, Taylor, Cotton....and others before him and none got from the back field to the LB level as quickly as TF. There was so much difference and it was blatantly obvious to the naked eye, on his very first day of practice.

Anyway I would love to be able to watch those big boys get after it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    It’s not even about that. Des was hired to keep in place what was already in place. Doc Maggard words not mine. So it’s fair to ask what didn’t you like about the old way of doing it? How do you see the new way being better for things like team bonding? Less distractions? Players making curfew and lights out bed times? How did you improve in those areas?
    Geezus dude! You can't be serious. You're taking that a little far. It certainly didn't mean he had to do every single thing exactly as the previous coach. Your statement is beyond ridiculous. You're trying too hard here brother

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Geezus dude! You can't be serious. You're taking that a little far. It certainly didn't mean he had to do every single thing exactly as the previous coach. Your statement is beyond ridiculous. You're trying too hard here brother
    Absolutely not. Not every single thing. You obviously are underestimating exactly how big of a move this is. This could be the difference in having laser type focus in camp, knowing your playbook, getting enough sleep.... or being distracted tired and doing stuff half ass. This isn’t like he’s going from green gator aid to orange or something. If you can’t see that then you have no clue how a fall camp is conducted and operates.

If you have good leadership the team polices itself. The leadership takes command of the others. Des obviously trusts their leadership.

Coach Deggs talked recently about getting a text at 1am from one of his leaders. He said a player had missed curfew and would not be available for the conference championship game.

That's called policing yourself.
    This. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I am curious with Des kinda going back to old school if he will open practice up like coaches did when he was a player. As some one who played his whole life through high school, I used to love watching the first couple of days in pads and watching the Oklahoma and one on one lineman drills. To me that is more fun than an actual game. I think most people who have played in the trenches, participated in practices and really appreciate the game would tell you the same. You get to see who is really the toughest out there man on man.

I recall watching Tyrell Fenroy's very first practice in pads as Cajun. All the hype going into camp was about the highly recruited Deon Wallace who was supposed to be the next great thing. I watched Fenroy run Oklahoma drills 3 or 4 times and called my brothers and said remember the name Fenroy fellas he's going to be special. I had watched Pryor, Brister, Johnson, Joseph, Taylor, Cotton....and others before him and none got from the back field to the LB level as quickly as TF. There was so much difference and it was blatantly obvious to the naked eye, on his very first day of practice.

Anyway I would love to be able to watch those big boys get after it again.
    I certainly hope so. Never was more than a few people out there at a time they were never in the way. And especially now that they practice in the field they’d be in the stands. Don’t see what it would hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    Absolutely not. Not every single thing. You obviously are underestimating exactly how big of a move this is. This could be the difference in having lazier focus in camp, knowing your playbook, getting enough sleep.... or being distracted tired and doing stuff half ass. This isn’t like he’s going from green gator aid to orange or something. If you can’t see that then you have no clue how a fall camp is conducted and operates.
    Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Des knows more about it than you. And guess what? He didnt make the decision all willy nilly. He considered all the variables and made the decision. So, question all you will as to whether I know better or not....cause I have no question whatsoever that Des knows better than you. No offense, but...Nah mean?

And listen Cajun Pop, I can't say I haven't had my moments here being a negative Nancy. But thankfully the group here usually does a good job of reeling me in. C'mon man.....let us reel you in a bit. We gonna be good.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    And listen Cajun Pop, I can't say I haven't had my moments here being a negative Nancy. But thankfully the group here usually does a good job of reeling me in. C'mon man.....let us reel you in a bit. We gonna be good.
    Oh man that does it….0-12

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Oh man that does it….0-12
    Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    What if it’s a perk for GPA accomplishments? What if it’s a Senior only thing? What if Des is putting “made guys” with younger players that need mentoring? What if it’s a financial situation?

People don’t know. The majority of people here were upset that Des was hired. Now they have to find reasons to doubt so that they can say they were right. “Knew it all along! USL’d the hire!”

All so predictable.
    MAT we have had our differences. But the more I think about this I think you probably hit the nail squarely on the head here. With covid and over spending I would imagine money is tight and they are looking for places to cut back. Doc probably said Coach we can’t afford the housing for 2 weeks during camp so you will have to go to plan B. In stead of Mike telling team, guys the AD said we won’t be able to afford housing for camp this year, he put a positive spin on it. He said guys you are mature now you know what you need to do, I trust you, I am going to let you stay at your own apartment or house during camp, you earned it. Now they all feel good about themselves rather than thinking the department broke. Well played coach.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information