Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    Distraction comes in many ways, shapes, and forms. Staying in the dorms won't prevent them. Hell, the device in the photo distracts people daily
    Attachment 16698
    Thanks. Good point. When they are in the dorm that device in the hand goes into a box for the night at a certain time and lights go out at a set time. When one is at home one can stay up on that device all night long. Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    Distraction comes in many ways, shapes, and forms. Staying in the dorms won't prevent them. Hell, the device in the photo distracts people daily.

Attachment 16698
    You are correct that is a distractions, girlfriends can be a distraction, podnahs can be a distraction, mommas can be a distraction.....lots of stuff can be a distraction which is why coaches across America bring their kids in to the dorms for fall camp to eliminate all those distractions. Take the phones away and have control over who contacts your players for those 2 weeks. Makes all the sense in the world.

This thread is a good example as to how college sports has ended up in its current position.

Fans expect so much from our programs, that coaches have to lock players in and take away all of their freedoms b/c perfection is the expectation. Not the desire, but expectation. No wonder athletes want to get paid. They can have zero life while playing.

4. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

I guess Des will also be expected to get a buzz cut and wear black on the sidelines also. He is expected to keep everything the same . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    This thread is a good example as to how college sports has ended up in its current position.

Fans expect so much from our programs, that coaches have to lock players in and take away all of their freedoms b/c perfection is the expectation. Not the desire, but expectation. No wonder athletes want to get paid. They can have zero life while playing.
    First of all we are talking about a training camp that lasts 2 weeks out of the year. 2nd have you paid tuition, fees, books, dorm, and a meal plan lately? Do you know what that is worth over 4 or 5 years. Not to mention all the free clothes and the cost of living stipend they get. Kids are making money even before the NILs came out.

CDS is real. And there is no vaccine.

Does anyone remember what the rules were when Dez was a player

So you’ve heard 95% of current college coaches on this radio program and know their routines?

Stop finding ____ to worry about. Des with sink or swim based on his performance and searching for stuff to CDS about is silly.

If it was my choice, I'd have them all together. But I ain't the coach, so I'm not going to worry about something that isn't a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    For those of you who don’t know many student athletes now live off campus in apartments and rent house type dwellings. Coaches Hud and Napier always made them move into the dorm during fall camp for many reasons. I would imagine the biggest being no distractions and they can keep a watch on them around the clock as they eat drink and sleep football.

Des has decided to against the grain of not only the Cajuns previous coaches but probably about 95% of all FBS coaches and will let the athletes live on there own during camp. Not sure why the reversal of this policy which seemed to work in the past? I just hope it doesn’t back fire.

I did hear lots of reports that Des was much more easy going and easier on the players during and coming out of spring than napier was. Is this just another example of that.

I am not saying that this is good or bad but there is reasons that the majority of coaches keeps their team together in dorms during camp. Heck even the NFL does it.
    Too early to say if that's a good idea or not but common sense and history will tell you a disciplined, cohesive team is a receipt for success. I hope this does not blow up in his face, but it does make you pause and wonder.

10. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    So you’ve heard 95% of current college coaches on this radio program and know their routines?

Stop finding ____ to worry about. Des with sink or swim based on his performance and searching for stuff to CDS about is silly.

If it was my choice, I'd have them all together. But I ain't the coach, so I'm not going to worry about something that isn't a problem yet.
    What if it’s a perk for GPA accomplishments? What if it’s a Senior only thing? What if Des is putting “made guys” with younger players that need mentoring? What if it’s a financial situation?

People don’t know. The majority of people here were upset that Des was hired. Now they have to find reasons to doubt so that they can say they were right. “Knew it all along! USL’d the hire!”

All so predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post

Not sure of you first question. Of the coaches I actually heard on these nation wide camp tours on Sirius xm college over the years the number of coaches to bring their teams together into a team dorm for camp was closer to 100%. I did not hear every coach in America interviewed so that’s why I lowered my number.

If the Saban, napier, Sweeney, hud, and Kelly’s of the world ( i’ll use another term) and the vast majority of college FCS coaches find it necessary to get them away from outside distractions, I think it is a fair question to our first year coach what he sees differently in his line of thinking from these guys with a proven track record. It’s not that I am worried as much as I am curious.

I sincerely hope this is a non issue and we are sitting in Cajun field the first week of December.

12. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    What if it’s a perk for GPA accomplishments? What if it’s a Senior only thing? What if Des is putting “made guys” with younger players that need mentoring? What if it’s a financial situation?

People don’t know. The majority of people here were upset that Des was hired. Now they have to find reasons to doubt so that they can say they were right. “Knew it all along! USL’d the hire!”

All so predictable.
    I agree 100% with the concepts in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Freshmen should stay in the dorm....
    Freshman do live in dorms. But in this case they wouldn’t be in their semester dorm. They would be in the camp dorm with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

All so predictable.

It’s CMD telling them he thinks they are mature enough to do what they need to do and handle the situation.

15. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    It’s CMD telling them he thinks they are mature enough to do what they need to do and handle the situation.
    I don’t know what it is. You don’t either. No one, other than Mike knows the intention behind it. I’m sure we could ask him, but it seems like a wasted question. Much more concerned with how the offensive line is gelling. Or how the young QBs are progressing. Are how we’re going to replace our top 2 LBs’ production. Change doesn’t mean “bad” everytime.

I can tell you that there is a group of players living in a rent home in my neighborhood. They are Almost never home. I leave my home most mornings around 6:30. Their vehicles are rarely in the driveway. These guys have such demanding schedules, where they sleep is really irrelevant.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information