Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . LastLast

Thread: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I think this will be my final comment on this subject.

1. Calling me "old man" is not offensive to me. It's accurate.and perhaps if I didn't know the one who said it, perhaps it bothers me more. But BK and I have been agreeing, disagreeing and sometimes getting downright PO'd at each other since back when I wasn't old. I wouldn't change it. He and I are good.

2. But I do part company with BK with his comments about my comments. Sure, it's OK to question things. But when the explanation is given multiple times, there comes a time to put it to rest. We are WAY past that point.

3. I did a 20 minute conversation with Chris Smith and Andre Jones at SBC media day. One of the questions I asked was "What's different?" You might be interested in their answers.

4. The day before the players reported, I did an hour, one on one, with CMD. The question about where players stay during training camp was answered in the first five minutes of the interview. We also covered many other topics. Evidently the only person who listened to either interview was Cajuns Mike, because he's the only one who made a comment about it. No, I'm not butt hurt about it. But you guys demand information and _____ when you don't get it.
    It's there. A link was provided right here on Ragin' Pagin.
    I listened to both and enjoyed it. I just didn't feel the need to tell everyone to go listen since you actually posted the links. I feel good about this team after hearing both interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Source?
    As some one who drives around 40k miles annually in an outside sales territory I spend a lot of time behind a wind shield. One thing I have done is listen to Sirius XM’s college sports stations Football Camp Tour every august since 2012. They interview players and coaches. If you listen as much as I have you get a very good feel for how the majority of college camps are being run. If you have never heard the show you would have no clue as to the kind of knowledge that one could gain from listening to it for the last 10 years. Over the years it has had host like Eddie Georg, Houston Nut, Rick Neuheisel, Gino Torretta, Randy Cross, Gil Brandt, Jack Arute, Mark Packer, and Chris Childers. The players give every little detail on their camps. You should check it out some day.

https://investor.siriusxm.com/news-e.tball-training

1. Calling me "old man" is not offensive to me. It's accurate.and perhaps if I didn't know the one who said it, perhaps it bothers me more. But BK and I have been agreeing, disagreeing and sometimes getting downright PO'd at each other since back when I wasn't old. I wouldn't change it. He and I are good.

2. But I do part company with BK with his comments about my comments. Sure, it's OK to question things. But when the explanation is given multiple times, there comes a time to put it to rest. We are WAY past that point.

3. I did a 20 minute conversation with Chris Smith and Andre Jones at SBC media day. One of the questions I asked was "What's different?" You might be interested in their answers.

4. The day before the players reported, I did an hour, one on one, with CMD. The question about where players stay during training camp was answered in the first five minutes of the interview. We also covered many other topics. Evidently the only person who listened to either interview was Cajuns Mike, because he's the only one who made a comment about it. No, I'm not butt hurt about it. But you guys demand information and _____ when you don't get it.
    Thanks Mr. Walker I will listen to the Des interview later today as I stir my gravy pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    One of the things Mentioned in the interview with Jay was a the impact of a normal sleep cycle on mental health. Staying in your own bed in a tough situation can help deal with the stress. Training camp is a stressful situation by nature. Gerald Broussard was asked about the decision on Billy RyckmAn’s show this morning. Said he hated having to move into the dorms while coaching. Also said that if the season turns out somewhat disappointing, some May look back at this move and say I told you so. One other point made in the podcast should provide a little relief. THat is curfews and that bed check will still be in effect. During camp, you are too busy and too tired for any distractions. Once again I encourage folks to listen to Jay’s podcast interview with Coach.
    I could see hating it as a coach. I ran into a former UL and New England Patriot DE in Red's the other day and asked his opinion on this subject. He said as player "I want to be in the dorm. I like the structure everything is about football it is all you have to focus on with no outside distractions." He said he could see the potential of major distractions this way.
    Last edited by KajunKrazy; August 7th, 2022 at 11:35 am. Reason: I hope he is ok with me quoting him on here.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Major part of his training camp . . . Says who?

All successful football coaches are doing . . . Source?

He must explain . . . Why give his secret and thought process to others, let them learn on their own.
    I don't know if the move is right are wrong, good or bad, will work or not. I am not here to judge that. But one thing I do know for certain is that when Hud and Naiper were here this program was ran as close to a P5 program as the UL football program has ever been run and that seemed to work well. This just has the feel of going back to running like an average G5 program. Just my opinion. Not questioning the coach.

It also my OPINION that this would never be stated publicly but, I think this is a financial decision. With covid year low attendance and you already paying cost of living stipend why pay extra on room and board for a couple of weeks?

And this fan tails right in with my last _____ point with you on the coverage of the team. I just started listening to your podcast with Des. and right out of the gate the two of you talked extensively about why he made the decision he did. And that explained everything to me I needed to know. And now, now that I've heard you guys address the issue extensively, while I can still see potential fallbacks, or pot holes, it makes it so, so , SO much easier to understand coach's thinking & buy into his process.

Someone once told me that two people both equally informed, seldom disagree. That is true to some extent. But two people who are completely properly informed almost never disagree. Thanks for posting your podcast. Now the question is how do we keep the news events, (which an hour long interview with the coach is a pretty big news event) how do we keep those things in a place where they can be easily extracted? Because like you, now I understand where Des is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I don't know if the move is right are wrong, good or bad, will work or not. I am not here to judge that. But one thing I do know for certain is that when Hud and Naiper where here this program was ran as close to a P5 program as the UL football program has ever been run and that seemed to work well. This just has the feel of going back to running like an average G5 program. Just my opinion. Not questioning the coach.

It also my OPINION that this would never be stated publicly but, I think this is a financial decision. With covid year low attendance and you already paying cost of living stipend why pay extra on room and board for a couple of weeks?
    I'm not understanding how it would cost UL more money to house the kids in dorms they already own. Help me understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Now Des is going backwards…
    OK what do you want to call it if not backwards. HUD and Napier came in and ran camp much like the SEC schools they had previously worked for. In Des’ first year he made changes to camp that look more like camps did under Bustle. You tell me the word for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstandza View Post
    I'm not understanding how it would cost UL more money to house the kids in dorms they already own. Help me understand this.
    Many student athletes today live off campus. If the athletic department wanted to put the entire team in a dorm for 2 weeks during camp they would have to pay the housing department for access to those dorm rooms. Athletics don't just use those for free.

When Hud was here he had the transit department pick the team up at the dorms and bring them to the complex and then back to the dorm. That was too was not a free service by the transit department.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    As some one who drives around 40k miles annually in an outside sales territory I spend a lot of time behind a wind shield. One thing I have done is listen to Sirius XM’s college sports stations Football Camp Tour every august since 2012. They interview players and coaches. If you listen as much as I have you get a very good feel for how the majority of college camps are being run. If you have never heard the show you would have no clue as to the kind of knowledge that one could gain from listening to it for the last 10 years. Over the years it has had host like Eddie Georg, Houston Nut, Rick Neuheisel, Gino Torretta, Randy Cross, Gil Brandt, Jack Arute, Mark Packer, and Chris Childers. The players give every little detail on their camps. You should check it out some day.

https://investor.siriusxm.com/news-e.tball-training
    Here bro, I hope this helps. It's for heavy flow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Here bro, I hope this helps. It's for heavy flow.
    Vic asked for a source of my knowledge of different camps and how they were run and i was sharing that with him. It’s a great program to listen to while traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I could see hating it as a coach. I ran into a former UL and New England Patriot DE in Red's the other day and asked his opinion on this subject. He said as player "I want to be in the dorm. I like the structure everything is about football it is all you have to focus on with no outside distractions." He said he could see the potential of major distractions this way.
    Things are different now versus when he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    F____ you Poo Poo. Vic asked for a source of my knowledge of different camps and how they were run and i was sharing that with him. It’s a great program to listen to while traveling.
    You will learn that you don't have to give up your source even if an RP member ask for it.

14. Default Re: Des Makes Big Change To August Camp

Let's see if I can make a point here.

If you are a player living off-campus and you move on campus for two weeks your routine gets thrown off. I travel for work and many of my trips require me to stay in a hotel for a week. My routine is thrown off, including sleep. I imagine the same thing happens for players living off-campus. There is something to be said for having a routine.

Furthermore, CMD is making this program his own with each step he takes. I respect that. He isn't Bustle, Hud, or Napier. He was hired as Head Coach and is making Head Coach decisions; I'd imagine he didn't arrive at this decision without talking to his staff and getting their input.

I'd encourage some of you to step away from the ledge and enjoy the ride. I've been around for Stokely, Baldwin, Bustle, Hudspeth, Napier, and now Desormeaux. I've seen the highs and lows. Trust the process and be part of the #cULture

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Things are different now versus when he played.
    That doesn’t change the fact the he sees being together with no distractions from the outside world would be his preferred way of going to camp. Even though the cajuns aren’t camping that way anymore I can assure you the vast majority of programs today haven’t changed even though “things are different now”.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . LastLast

Thread Information