Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Today I messaged a friend who has worked at the university since the 80s. He has worn several hats over the years from housing, to recruitment, to alumni center. He also served as our as our faculty adviser to the fraternity I was in while I was active and still does to this day. I asked if he had a number of the percentage of students that come from towns like Rayne, Crowley, Opelousas, NI, St. Martinville, and BB...and throughout Acadiana? He said I don't but let me email the registrars office below is what they sent him as of fall 2021.

I am not calling it commuter vs non commuter. You call it what you want but these are the numbers from the university. We were communicating through messenger and I just copied and pasted.

"16,270 total student population Fall 2021"

"2,016 Graduate Students
    6,351 Undergraduate

These are the number of students who do not live on campus who have their home listed as outside of Lafayette Parish during the semester."

For those counting that is 8,367 out of 16,270.

2. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Today I messaged a friend who has worked at the university since the 80s. He has worn several hats over the years from housing, to recruitment, to alumni center. He also served as our as our faculty adviser to the fraternity I was in while I was active and still does to this day. I asked if he had a number of the percentage of students that come from towns like Rayne, Crowley, Opelousas, NI, St. Martinville, and BB...and throughout Acadiana? He said I don't but let me email the registrars office below is what they sent him as of fall 2021.

I am not calling it commuter vs non commuter. You call it what you want but these are the numbers from the university. We were communicating through messenger and I just copied and pasted.

"2,016 Graduate Students
    6,351 Undergraduate

These are the number of students who do not live on campus who have their home listed as outside of Lafayette Parish during the semester."

That is where they are from, not where they are sleeping at night.

Louisiana's undergraduates are required to house on campus. Exceptions apply.

Excellent research though.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    UL is not a ____ing commuter school. Georgia Southern is a commuter school because they're in the middle of ATL.
    UL is not a commuter school.
    ULM and LA Tech are definitely commuter schools.

"2,016 Graduate Students
    6,351 Undergraduate

I read last year we had over 19,000 students. What happened? What about students taking on-line courses? Are they counted towards enrollment numbers? Seems like we should be over 20,000.

5. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Louisiana is a commuter school . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

This is a copy and paste of the exact question I asked. Are you suggesting they answer did not fit the question? I know I for one when I moved out of the dorm to an apartment my address with the registrars office went from my home in NI to my new apartment.

"What percentage of kids live at home in places like Rayne, Crowley, NI, Opelousas, St Martinville, Breaux Bridge….. and all throughout acadiana and commute to Lafayette every day?"

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    UL is not a commuter school.
    ULM and LA Tech are definitely commuter schools.
    You would be incorrect Tech is least of a commuter school of the 3. There isn't enough population and engineering majors in a 50 mile radius to commute to Tech.

This is a copy and paste of the exact question I asked. Are you suggesting they answer did not fit the question? I know I for one when I moved out of the dorm to an apartment my address with the registrars office went from my home in NI to my new apartment.

"What percentage of kids live at home in places like Rayne, Crowley, NI, Opelousas, St Martinville, Breaux Bridge….. and all throughout acadiana and commute to Lafayette every day?"
    This has got to be one of the dumbest arguments ever on RP. UL has always been known as a commuter school and that has not changed.

Agree, good research...Does that number include everyone enrolled at UL? Part time, on line, Doctrate students, etc

10. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    This has got to be one of the dumbest arguments ever on RP. UL has always been known as a commuter school and that has not changed.
    I spent thousands of hours at E. D. Library perusing old documents. Zero historical reference to being a commuter school.

There was much historical conversation about the state refusing to build dorms for incoming students. Instead the state opened Nicholls, LSUA and McNeese.

The entire narritive was about losing students to upstart schools not requiring them to drive.

It is only very recent that the commuter narrative has been put forward as a school description. Recently like this year.

I spent thousands of hours at E. D. Library perusing old documents. Zero historical reference to being a commuter school.

There was much historical conversation about the state refusing to build dorms for incoming students. Instead the state opened Nicholls, LSUA and McNeese.

The entire narritive was about losing students to upstart schools not requiring them to drive.

It is only very recent that the commuter narrative has been put forward as a school description. Recently like this year.
    I worked in the parking and transit department from 88 to 92 and the term "commuter school" was used quite often by the administration back then. I'd say they have been calling it a commuter school ever since they have been filling up Cajun field and running 15 buses a day back and forth to campus to transport those commuter students to campus and back. It has been referred to as a commuter school a lot longer than the last year.

12. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

I worked in the parking and transit department from 88 to 92 and the term "commuter school" was used quite often by the administration back then. I'd say they have been calling it a commuter school ever since they have been filling up Cajun field and running 15 buses a day back and forth to campus to transport those commuter students to campus and back. It has been referred to as a commuter school a lot longer than the last year.
    UL is a "No Place to Park" school, not a commuter school.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    You are correct. This is like 10 pages of argument over "is water wet".

UL is a "No Place to Park" school, not a commuter school.
    Yes. And those people looking to park are coming from small towns all across Acadiana. The definition of commuter school.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    You are correct. This is like 10 pages of argument over "is water wet".
    This.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information