Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    As some one who grew up in NI and drove transit buses and worked in the parking and transit office in school I'd have to disagree. First you ever see how may busses run every day to drive commuter students from cajun field to campus?

Secondly when I gradated from high school lets say between CHS and NISH there were 120 kids coming to school here, I guarantee no more than 20 of them actually moved to Lafayette. And that is a very generous number. Not to mention the fact that while living in the dorm for the first 2 semesters on the weekend it was a ghost town. On Friday there was a mass exodus and they didn't come back until Sunday.
    Very accurate, can be any city/town in the area. Except I made the games if work didn’t get in the way.

Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Dear lord that’s simply not true.

Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    As somebody who lives close to campus (The presidents house is across the street from my home) I can attest that the University is a ghost town on weekends. You can shoot a cannon down the boulevard and not hit anybody. Friday afternoon is an exodus Sunday afternoon and evening is the return. They go home. I see the few students that stay on campus make the trek to Dominoes for a pizza, KOK for wings or the Bulldog for a beer. The only real attraction on week ends are families that go to Cypress Lake to feed the fish and see the gators.

It's pretty dead on the weekends.

The other issue is outmigration. There are no jobs in this state.
    Yes, but again, if you lived in Broussard, Youngsville, Carencro, Opelousas, StMartinville, etc, why would you live on campus??? That driving distance doesn't make it a commuter school. And student attendance for games certainly has nothing to do with living at home in Rayne. You're telling me they don't come to Lafayette to party? To shop? They aren't coming to games for different reasons, but living 15-20 mins from campus isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Yes, but again, if you lived in Broussard, Youngsville, Carencro, Opelousas, StMartinville, etc, why would you live on campus??? That driving distance doesn't make it a commuter school. And student attendance for games certainly has nothing to do with living at home in Rayne. You're telling me they don't come to Lafayette to party? To shop? They aren't coming to games for different reasons, but living 15-20 mins from campus isn't it.
    What I am saying is all the students that live on campus go home. That reduces the numbers that could go to a game because they are gone.

I suspect that most students , whether on campus or not, are finding the need to work on weekends given the cost of education and everything else going up. I figure it will be worse this season because everything is just so expensive now.

Even Alabama has student attendance problems. Nick Saban was complaining about it last year (I think).

I live 3 blocks off of St Mary Blvd, when my kids start school it’s time to get a dorm or apartment. Even though I live in Lafayette and can see Cajun field from the back of my neighborhood I want my kids to have the total college experience. Living at home with me under my rules they won’t get that.

We had guys from all around Acadiana in the dorms...and I had a gf who was a dorm chick who's parents live in Lafayette...

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    What I am saying is all the students that live on campus go home. That reduces the numbers that could go to a game because they are gone.
    LoL! Again.....so they go home to, let's say Rayne.....they don't come to the game on Saturday night because it's too far? Like, help me understand how "going home for the weekend" isstopping students from going to the game? If they WANTED to go to the games, they would. Period. There are other reasons they aren't attending. But a 15-20 minute drive isn't it. If their podnuh calls and says they're having a big party at his place Saturday night, where there will be women and beer.....he's making that "long, arduous trek" from Rayne to Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    I live 3 blocks off of St Mary Blvd, when my kids start school it’s time to get a dorm or apartment. Even though I live in Lafayette and can see Cajun field from the back of my neighborhood I want my kids to have the total college experience. Living at home with me under my rules they won’t get that.
    Again.....how is that keeping them from going to games?

9. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

According to one source a school with no on dorms is a commuter school. Even apartments and rooms across the street don’t count. Under that finite definition almost every school in Louisiana is not a commuter school. There are however commuter students.

Often commuter students are there for the actual class education, not the college experience. Additionally we have a totally different level of college age students. Many could care less about college life and sports.

Not sure there’s a solution. Perhaps part of the education scholarship qualification should include active and enthusiastic support of the high school teams they attend. At least you would have someone open to the college experience.

10. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Dude, listen to yourself, over, over and over again. It’s a government they go home. Obviously nobody has figured out why they do not come back for games or that would have been addressed, hopefully.

All your hypo’s about parties and women and other crap are just a tangent that have nothing to do with the issue. The issue is that they are not driving back 2, 5, 15, 25 or 60 miles to go to the games.

How about this idea:
    Open up the student section to all Lafayette area high school students free of charge until tickets in those sections are all reserved. That might light a fire in the pants of the UL student body creating more demand and a better atmosphere.

Students that live in St Martinville, Opelousas, NI, Crowley, Kaplan…. And drive to and from Lafayette for class every day is the definition of commuter student. It is hard to have the discussion if we change the definition of the what a commuter student is. It is not to far for these kids to come back for a game. It is just a general rule that college kids that live outside of the college town with mom and dad don’t get involved as much in on campus activities. (I think someone else posed that earlier) But that’s a fact nothing to do with distance everything to do with disengagement.

13. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Dude, listen to yourself, over, over and over again. It’s a government they go home. Obviously nobody has figured out why they do not come back for games or that would have been addressed, hopefully.

All your hypo’s about parties and women and other crap are just a tangent that have nothing to do with the issue. The issue is that they are not driving back 2, 5, 15, 25 or 60 miles to go to the games.
    I think we've established Louisiana is NOT a commuter school.

Otherwise they would commute back to the games.

I didn’t say it was. I just don’t see how any student living in those areas you mentioned don’t want to live the college life and be involved, instead of just go to class and go home. I was just trying to make the point that you are never to close to home to move away for college. We ride our bikes to the tigue. But my kids will still move out for college.

15. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think we've established Louisiana is NOT a commuter school.

Otherwise they would commute back to the games.
    Louisiana is a commuter school.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information