Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    While I don’t have any idea how much of an issue this is, I would say it’s true about attrition out of Louisiana being a problem overall. It’s quite depressing to think about sometimes, as I’m one of those and understand the reality.
    The data shows it too. The population growth in Louisiana in the last 10 years is only 3%, well below national average. Compare that to Texas at 16%.

Another eye opener for me is the average age. It’s been climbing significantly over the last 5-7 years, much more than national average.

Louisiana’s population is stagnant because young people and young families are leaving and not coming back.

Signed, a Houston resident for the last 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    The data shows it too. The population growth in Louisiana in the last 10 years is only 3%, well below national average. Compare that to Texas at 16%.

Another eye opener for me is the average age. It’s been climbing significantly over the last 5-7 years, much more than national average.

Louisiana’s population is stagnant because young people and young families are leaving and not coming back.

Signed, a Houston resident for the last 16 years
    Nasa got you?

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    UL has more students on campus than ever before. This is a good mixture of both on campus and not.
    You might want to double check that.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Good point. I have a niece at UL right now living near campus and has only been to 1 UL home game in 2 years. They just don't go. Hoping to get her to a few this year. We as alumni and season ticket holders cannot give up on getting them to the games!
    Longest win streak in the country!
    I have a son there now and he don't miss a football, basketball or baseball game. He even road tripped tp Tx last year and slept in his truck with a couple of buddies. I guess it just comes down to each individual and their passion for their U.

5. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    As some one who grew up in NI and drove transit buses and worked in the parking and transit office in school I'd have to disagree. First you ever see how may busses run every day to drive commuter students from cajun field to campus?

Secondly when I gradated from high school lets say between CHS and NISH there were 120 kids coming to school here, I guarantee no more than 20 of them actually moved to Lafayette. And that is a very generous number. Not to mention the fact that while living in the dorm for the first 2 semesters on the weekend it was a ghost town. On Friday there was a mass exodus and they didn't come back until Sunday.
    The busses run because parking on and around campus is a disaster and no where near enough. The majority of those cars at CF are people from Lafayette and/or the immediate surrounding towns. That is not a commuter school designation.

6. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Georgia Southern is in Statesboro. Georgia State is in Atlanta.
    No ____, Mike. You got the point. Bourbon and RP don’t always mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The busses run because parking on and around campus is a disaster and no where near enough. The majority of those cars at CF are people from Lafayette and/or the immediate surrounding towns. That is not a commuter school designation.
    You just defined commuter school. People who live in small towns with there parents and attend college. Like I said I worked in the department I know where they are coming from.

8. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

You just defined commuter school. People who live in small towns with there parents and attend college. Like I said I worked in the department I know where they are coming from.
    My freshmen year, I lived in apartments off of Kaliste saloom. Parked at CF every single day. Many people did that. It was way more convenient and cheaper.

UL is not a commuter school.

Ever lived in a UL dorm? Your spouse? Raise your hand!

4th floor Mcullough and THE Roymada Inn...wifey dormed as well at UNC G

The guy had been a season ticket holder since graduation in the early 90's. Even through the baldwin years when we were some of the few out there every week. You didn't get much more loyal fan over that time period.
    If they aren't attending games now then they are fair weather and casual fans.

11. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Many living there go home on the weekends also.
    The ability to go home is not what defines a commuter school.

Actually going back to your childhood home every night because you have no choice is a defining factor.

12. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Actually going back to your childhood home every night because you have no choice is a defining factor.
    Your reality is not real.

13. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    UL has more students on campus than ever before. This is a good mixture of both on campus and not.
    Decreased student body with increased housing options says you are 100% correct percentage wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Right the term for those who come to campus Monday through Friday and go home every weekend would be a suitcase college.

Rabble rabble rabble…. Plain and simple we need to get our ____ together to compete at the highest level or we can just be happy where we are at and accept we will never be big time. THE TIME IS NOW OR WE WILL NEVER CATCH UP!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information