Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 212

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

  1. #61

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Those are rewards, not necessarily incentives...I do like the idea of the Poncho, that should be done.

    Marketing UL football in its current state, is so easy a Tech grad could do it...geeze you've got the longest winning streak in the country, defending conference championship, a bowl winner, and a roster loaded with talent (despite what RPCA says...). My point is you've got plenty of assests to build on and create an organic interest in this years season. We're almost 1 month out...crickets. I don't think the message board on Rienhart has a mention of the first game, a countdown clock, nothing...and that includes the web site. These are things that don't cost a dime to undertake. I'm sorry, but the messaging from UL Athletics is putrid. Not the creative mind you, just getting your creative message noticed with a quick, noticable call to action (attend UL football). It ain't rocket science!

    Billboards....Intimidating photo of player pointing outward with the message...Louisiana Labor Day, Southeast Louisiana, you're # 14. Tickets onsale now, etc

    TV Spots...Use archival footage of past UL games at CF, collage type, with a voice over or on cam of past UL player. Again, intimidation. Mention CF is the place to be LD weekend, and this season...Southeastern La, you're next and #14 on the list. Get tough with the message. Its football, not a daycare center. TV is great for making an event look larger than what it really is...time to go to work with that.

    You guys get the idea. But the longer the wait to see an effort, the more paltry the crowd will be for this opener and maybe the rest of the season. Everyone who gave crowd estimates basically was going to a half full cajun field attendance number, and some were a few thousands short of last years record championship game. On Labor Day? With this effort? You have to market to your strengths, to your assets. Messaging needs to be a where else would you rather be this labor day...Football is an emotional game, the messaging should be no less emotional.
    Seems like a post from a former TV guy.

  2. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I can tell you this it can only accommodate 3700 on campus. When I worked in the transit department we catered to commuter students. A student living at home with parents was considered commuter even if he / she lived in South Lafayette, Scott, Youngsville, Carencro or Broussard.

    I know this coming from NI when I was in school. Lets say there were 100 kids from NI coming to school here out of the 2 high schools. Maybe 10 of them actually moved to Lafayette. And that is generous. There were way more kids that drove back in forth from NI through out the years than there were that moved to Lafayette. I can't give you numbers I just knew the people.
    Lafayette Parish is an overly tight definition.

    Lafayette Parish is 270 square miles.

    Greater Atlanta is 8,000 square miles

  3. #63
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Lafayette Parish is an overly tight definition.

    Lafayette Parish is 270 square miles.

    Greater Atlanta is 8,000 square miles
    It doesn't matter distance in how the university defines "commuter student".

    I can tell you this after a little research only 23% of the students live in some type of on campus housing or university affiliated housing which would be some of the select apartments like the ones across from Cajun field in that number. 77% live else where. The number that is hard to find today is how many of that 77% live with their parents. Unless you are in an office like P&T and you get the request for a parking permit with an address on the form it is hard to know the exact percentages. I don't think being a commuter school is something the university really wants to brag about or make the numbers public.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    MAT do you get on here and try to be wrong on purpose? UL is a commuter school and the athletes did march at the police station and the police did not appreciate that very much. Just ask them. Now stop your silly arguments you look stupid.
    UL is not a commuter school. The athletes did not March on the police station.

    Now go say 66 Hail Marys for calling people names. The lord doesn’t look kindly on that.

  5. Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    It doesn't matter distance in how the university defines "commuter student".
    I agree but that doesn't make the schools definition accurate.

    In this case the whole purpose of defining or labeling "commuter school" is to whether the distance of their daily drive would impact their desire to make one more Saturday trip.

    I don't think many areas of Acadiana would impact that decision. Perhaps Pecan Island.

    What would impact the drive is not knowing when games are.

    A Louisiana Saturday Night lockdown of games would help create a lifestyle.

    For students going home from school on a Wednesday afternoon and being asked to come back for an ESPN3 game later that night, would be recieved negativly.

  6. #66
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    UL is not a commuter school. The athletes did not March on the police station.

    Now go say 66 Hail Marys for calling people names. The lord doesn’t look kindly on that.
    Seriously how do you get on here and just deny facts?

    UL has been considered a commuter school for decades. I worked for the department on campus that caters most to commuter students for 4 years. Did you open the link to the article posted yesterday about that march? It specifically said they marched in protest in front of the police office. Did the Advertiser get it wrong too?

  7. #67

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    If not living on campus, or living in Carencro, Opelousas, Crowley, New Iberia, etc makes UL a commuter school, and is being used as the excuse for why students don't go to games....explain to me:
    1. Why It used to not be that way.
    2. Why so many "UL commuter" students go to LSU games and/or tailgating.


  8. #68
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree but that doesn't make the schools definition accurate.

    In this case the whole purpose of defining or labeling "commuter school" is to whether the distance of their daily drive would impact their desire to make one more Saturday trip.

    I don't think many areas of Acadiana would impact that decision. Perhaps Pecan Island.

    What would impact the drive is not knowing when games are.

    A Louisiana Saturday Night lockdown of games would help create a lifestyle.

    For students going home from school on a Wednesday afternoon and being asked to come back for an ESPN3 game later that night, would be recieved negativly.
    I don't know if it was distance or other reasons but again speaking from experience and many people I knew personally. Kids living NI for the most part never came back for any extracurricular activities. Including football games and back in those days the only way to see them was in person. For the most part when a kid goes to school and lives with Mom and Dad whether that be in Youngsville, New Iberia, Abbeville, or Crowley they are not getting involved in campus activities and that includes sporting events. There will be a few exceptions of course.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Seriously how do you get on here and just deny facts?

    UL has been considered a commuter school for decades. I worked for the department on campus that caters most to commuter students for 4 years. Did you open the link to the article posted yesterday about that march? It specifically said they marched in protest in front of the police office. Did the Advertiser get it wrong too?
    Seriously, how do you get on here and claim people that live with their parents 10 minutes away from campus qualify as “commuter students”?

  10. #70

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    https://www.earnest.com/blog/commuting-to-college/

    Note that not a word is mentioned in this article about one's college athletic events.

    It has become more and more obvious that colleges have not mastered the art of getting their commuter students to attend athletic events. It looks like there is a great void there.

    We might have something here. Focus on the issue, not on what is not the issue. The lion's share of Louisiana students are not on campus on the weekends when athletic events occur.

    Changes the focus and fix the problem.
    I swear this logic is so myopic. You mean to tell me "commuter students" that live at home in Crowley, New Iberia, Opelousas, etc don't come to Lafayette on the weekends to party???? This excuse is really laughable

  11. #71
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    If not living on campus, or living in Carencro, Opelousas, Crowley, New Iberia, etc makes UL a commuter school, and is being used as the excuse for why students don't go to games....explain to me:
    1. Why It used to not be that way.
    2. Why so many "UL commuter" students go to LSU games and/or tailgating.
    The answer to your 2nd question is because they see the LSU game as an event. The cool thing to do because everyone is doing it.

    The first question is hard to answer I have my own opinion. I think it is because the university and some of the rules they have made. When I was school we didn't have to go to the university tailgate. All the Greeks through their own party at their own house. Throw a few kegs out get a DJ and it was an event. At game time it looked like a sea of college students processing to Cajun field. The U needs to get out the way and give those kids their houses back and let them be.

  12. #72
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Seriously, how do you get on here and claim people that live with their parents 10 minutes away from campus qualify as “commuter students”?
    I define commuter student as the way the university does. Go ask them. Even if you take Lafayette parish out of the equation you still have a very large % of commuters from the Acadiana area.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    The answer to your 2nd question is because they see the LSU game as an event. The cool thing to do because everyone is doing it.

    The first question is hard to answer I have my own opinion. I think it is because the university and some of the rules they have made. When I was school we didn't have to go to the university tailgate. All the Greeks through their own party at their own house. Throw a few kegs out get a DJ and it was an event. At game time it looked like a sea of college students processing to Cajun field. The U needs to get out the way and give those kids their houses back and let them be.
    Thank you for proving my point. It had nothing to do with whether or not UL is a commuter school. If UL football games aren't "an event" they wouldn't go whether they lived in Berwick or off of Bertrand Dr.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Another roller coaster ride of a Summer Pagin thread....


  15. #75

    Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I swear this logic is so myopic. You mean to tell me "commuter students" that live at home in Crowley, New Iberia, Opelousas, etc don't come to Lafayette on the weekends to party???? This excuse is really laughable
    I went to plenty of party's in Lafayette with that PooPoo fella.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Desormeaux: Integrity Defined
    By ULvictory in forum Coaching Matters
    Replies: 285
    Last Post: January 6th, 2022, 11:17 am
  2. ROUX™ Defined
    By Turbine in forum PlayerDock
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2006, 12:36 pm
  3. Medical redshirt defined
    By Turbine in forum FOOTBALL
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 15th, 2002, 07:13 am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •