Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

1. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Yes. And those people looking to park are coming from small towns all across Acadiana. The definition of commuter school.
    "Small towns" is not involved in defining commuter. Neither is country side.

"Long uncomforable distances" is the core defining factor on whether someone is a commuter or not.

Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

According to the American Heritage Dictionary on my book shelf that was given to me as a high school graduation gift the definition of commuter is, and I will quote verbatim.

Commuter- A person who travels regularly from one place to another, as from suburb to city and back.

It mentions nothing about "long uncomfortable distances". I will got with American Heritage for my definition.

3. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "Small towns" is not involved in defining commuter. Neither is country side.

"Long uncomforable distances" is the core defining factor on whether someone is a commuter or not.
    Maybe it is, maybe it’s not.

Is Broussard far enough
    Is New Iberia far enough
    Is Jeanerette far enough
    Is Berwick far enough
    Is Morgan City far enough
    Is THIBODEAUX far enough
    Is Raceland far enough
    Is New Orleans far enough

Which students from the identified towns are commuting?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post

Is Broussard far enough
    Is New Iberia far enough
    Is Jeanerette far enough
    Is Berwick far enough
    Is THIBODEAUX far enough
    Is Raceland far enough

According the definition in my American Heritage Dictionary the answer is all. But my dictionary also says marriage is between a man and a women. Maybe they changed the definition of commuter also.

5. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Is Broussard far enough
    Is New Iberia far enough
    Is Jeanerette far enough
    Is Berwick far enough
    Is THIBODEAUX far enough
    Is Raceland far enough

Berwick on.

You should read the uproar when (because of overflow enrollment from the GI bill) UL was requesting new emergency and long term dorms after WWII.

Instead the legislature decided to start a completely new school on the temporary money.... Nicholls.

The fact that some students from those areas still decide to drive in, doesn't define the school.

According the definition in my American Heritage Dictionary the answer is all. But my dictionary also says marriage is between a man and a women. Maybe they changed the definition of commuter also.
    The change in transportation in the last century probably impacts the definition. My dad post WW2 commuted from New Iberia. Prior to WW2, he attended the evil empire and traveled via “thumb” to get home.

7. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

I am still waiting for Trrbine to cite a source, just one source for his definition.

8. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

I am still waiting for Trrbine to cite a source, just one source for his definition.
    Keep waiting.

Just because some want to change the definition of a term or school doesn't mean I need a source for historical non-fact, non-issue.

Keep waiting.

Just because some want to change the definition of a term or school doesn't mean I need a source for historical non-fact, non-issue.
    But I gave you the definition of commuter according to the American Heritage Dictionary verbatim. No one changed the definition of any thing. With the percentage of students who drive from within in the range of the American Heritages definition, the school definitely fits the bill. Don't know about WWII days but from the 1980s through today for sure.

10. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

If the transportation department wants to consider the school a commuter school, maybe there is merit to that. But as far as enrollment strategy or plan to attack attendance problems with athletic attendance, it should not be remotely considered a commuter school. UL in no way caters to or functions as a commuter school.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    If the transportation department wants to consider the school a commuter school, maybe there is merit to that. But as far as enrollment strategy or plan to attack attendance problems with athletic attendance, it should not be remotely considered a commuter school. UL in no way caters to or functions as a commuter school.
    I can agree with that. It is a huge hurdle to over come and is not stigma that you would want to sell yourself as in building student support for athletics. Needs to be advertised and sold to students at the recruitment level as a destination college. A place you want to be on week days as well as weekends.

12. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

But I gave you the definition of commuter according to the American Heritage Dictionary verbatim. No one changed the definition of any thing. With the percentage of students who drive from within in the range of the American Heritages definition, the school definitely fits the bill. Don't know about WWII days but from the 1980s through today for sure.
    Your definition limits commuter to one traveling by plane or from suburb. A suburb is an area around a "major" city not one of a hundred plus thousand.

What you are calling a suburb would be a neighborhood within a major city. Definitely not a commute.

Your definition limits commuter to one traveling by plane or from suburb. A suburb is an area around a "major" city not one of a hundred plus thousand.

What you are calling a suburb would be a neighborhood within a major city. Definitely not a commute.
    So, what do you consider UL Turbine, since you disagree with the department at UL that is tasked with knowing such things?

14. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    So, what do you consider UL Turbine, since you disagree with the department at UL that is tasked with knowing such things?
    Failed tasks are not uncommon.

A couple years ago a highly paid someone, who was tasked with coming up with a Louisiana ticker abbreviation solutioned the problem with "ULL" (Fortunately after going public for one weekend that anti Louisiana idea was nixed for "LA")

Often of these "tasked" individuals arrive from a vacuum with no real insight into certain minute aspects of their job. That does not make them unqualified for their overall job.

The schools in this link are commuter schools.
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ost-off-campus

This Commuter School topic needs a shelf life...1 more week and it gets packed up with threads featuring Band, Mascot, is black a school color, and OT's till next summer....

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information