Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Neat story, but I don’t think legal drinking age was 18 in 1988.
    No it was not. But very loosely enforced around the strip area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    No it was not. But very loosely enforced around the strip area.
    Drinking age was most definitely 18 in 89 because that's when I turned 18 and my crew didn't have to get Mr. Willie from the corner to buy our beer anymore.

3. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Neat story, but I don’t think legal drinking age was 18 in 1988.
    It most definitely was the drinking age didn’t change in Louisiana until later than that I can’t remember the exact date but it 1988 it was absolutely 18 years old Vic

Louisiana was the last state in the nation to change the drinking age from 18 to 21 and they only did it because of federal highway funds that would be kept held back

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    It most definitely was the drinking age didn’t change in Louisiana until later than that I can’t remember the exact date but it 1988 it was absolutely 18 years old Vic

Louisiana was the last state in the nation to change the drinking age from 18 to 21 and they only did it because of federal highway funds that would be kept held back
    I only drink two days a week, today and tomorrow. So I can't remember when the age changed.

5. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstandza View Post
    Drinking age was most definitely 18 in 89 because that's when I turned 18 and my crew didn't have to get Mr. Willie from the corner to buy our beer anymore.
    Actually Vic was sort of right. The Louisiana drinking age was raised to 21 in 1986 to avoid losing federal highway dollars, as I stated in an earlier post, but a loophole made it legal for bars and others to sell alcohol to those under 21, complicating possible enforcement of the law. In 1996 the loophole was closed. Prior to the change, Louisiana was the last state in the nation to allow 18 year olds to drink alcohol in a bar or restaurant.

Actually Vic was sort of right. The Louisiana drinking age was raised to 21 in 1986 to avoid losing federal highway dollars, as I stated in an earlier post, but a loophole made it legal for bars and others to sell alcohol to those under 21, complicating possible enforcement of the law. In 1996 the loophole was closed. Prior to the change, Louisiana was the last state in the nation to allow 18 year olds to drink alcohol in a bar or restaurant.
    Really was not enforced on the strip until 2014 .

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstandza View Post
    Corner bar was selling you beer illegally. I turned 18 in october of 87 and the legal drinking age had just changed to 21. But you could drink legally at a private club. Makos would give out memberships for a little while to get around the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …..Oh I do remember….yall 2, Mike and CC’s daughter Kimberly, and Chester and Mira’s daughter Gigi was my God child……So many CHSNI guys and Coach Blanco I think was the first to recruit NO and I was the first from the city!
    Actually we lived downstairs in the middle to our left was Miles and Rachel and their 2 boys and to our Rt was the former Sheriff and his family. My dad and Mike were classmates since 1st grade and miles a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Corner bar was selling you beer illegally. I turned 18 in october of 87 and the legal drinking age had just changed to 21. But you could drink legally at a private club. Makos would give out memberships for a little while to get around the law.
    I'm talking about the 7-11. I was most definitely buying my own beer legally in 1989

Buying my own beer since 9th grade....only in Louisiana, only at Stutes Bar...

11. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

When you are old, many things meld together. I think it is Florida that moved the legal drinking age up from 18 to 21 one year at a time and that started in or about 1979 or so.

All you needed at the strip was a bad fake ID and you were good. I have a November birthday and finished college in three years so I was never even 21 when in collage at Louisiana (USL).

12. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Buying my own beer since 9th grade....only in Louisiana, only at Stutes Bar...
    OH, that surely was not "only at Stutes bar"

I started school in 1990, and drinking age at the bars was DEFINITELY 18.

The law was something like, you could buy it at 18 and consume on private property, but couldn't have it in public. Something absurd like that.

14. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    I started school in 1990, and drinking age at the bars was DEFINITELY 18.

The law was something like, you could buy it at 18 and consume on private property, but couldn't have it in public. Something absurd like that.
    That was pretty much it CharlieK. Like I said in a previous post, the law changed in 1986, but the loophole about bars and restaurants was not closed until 1996 meaning that any bar/restaurant/private business could serve alcohol to anyone between the ages of 18-21 until 1996. In 1996 the loophole was closed and Louisiana officially became the last state in the union to increase the drinking age from 18-21 in all businesses. Louisiana tried for 10 years to get away with it, as the Federal government threatened to withhold federal highway funds each and every year. In 1986 when the law changed (but the loophole was found) it got very contentious between local and federal government. Louisiana claimed that the law states that the drinking age is 21, but the loophole did not make it effective. So by the letter of the law we changed our drinking age, but by the actual law we had not.

15. Default Re: Southeastern Louisiana Attendance

That was pretty much it CharlieK. Like I said in a previous post, the law changed in 1986, but the loophole about bars and restaurants was not closed until 1996 meaning that any bar/restaurant/private business could serve alcohol to anyone between the ages of 18-21 until 1996. In 1996 the loophole was closed and Louisiana officially became the last state in the union to increase the drinking age from 18-21 in all businesses. Louisiana tried for 10 years to get away with it, as the Federal government threatened to withhold federal highway funds each and every year. In 1986 when the law changed (but the loophole was found) it got very contentious between local and federal government. Louisiana claimed that the law states that the drinking age is 21, but the loophole did not make it effective. So by the letter of the law we changed our drinking age, but by the actual law we had not.
    ……..lGetting back to Southeastern…….we have won 13games in a row……before we beat SLC my Sr year we had lost to them 13 years in a row….please be ready as the psychological advantage will be for our opponents for just about all the games!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information