Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread: SBC Media Deal

1. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    As an Independent, what championships would all of our teams and athletes be playing for?
    National Championships.

Other than that, the First P5 Invitee Championship. Incidentally that's a championship Louisiana would have already won (and all this would be moot) if it had gone independent at the opportune time.

Other than that, the same championship softball was playing for when it became a national powerhouse.

Default Re: SBC Media Deal

I’ve never met turbine. But I imagine him as some long haired hippie who smokes weed all day.

3. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    I’ve never met turbine. But I imagine him as some long haired hippie who smokes weed all day.
    This guy is spot on.

Close, but he's more of a shroom dude

I have never met him either, but I have to say, I see that picture myself.

Picture the doctor in the room with the alien in Independence Day.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I have never met him either, but I have to say, I see that picture myself.
    He actually sleeps during the day and works at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    National Championships.

Other than that, the First P5 Invitee Championship. Incidentally that's a championship Louisiana would have already won (and all this would be moot) if it had gone independent at the opportune time.

Other than that, the same championship softball was playing for when it became a national powerhouse.
    So what you are saying is that we probably don't need to worry about maintaining a trophy case, since the only possible championships the Cajuns could hope to obtain as an Independent would be "National Championships"! In the world of Turbine, apparently Conference Championships don't really matter. I think it would be hard to recruit athletes when they figure out they would be competing for nothing.

8. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    So what you are saying is that we probably don't need to worry about maintaining a trophy case, since the only possible championships the Cajuns could hope to obtain as an Independent would be "National Championships"! In the world of Turbine, apparently Conference Championships don't really matter. I think it would be hard to recruit athletes when they figure out they would be competing for nothing.
    Not true.

You asked "As an Independent, what championships would all of our teams and athletes be playing for?" I didn't expound, I just answered. But the fact is they would be playing for much more than a conference championship.

Case in point, Softball had the #1 out of conference RPI in the country but because they were stuck playing for a" SB "Conference Championship" (successfully I might add) their results dwindled to the point where they couldn't even host.

Ultimately that probably cost them a trip to Oklahoma.

Not true.

You asked "As an Independent, what championships would all of our teams and athletes be playing for?" I didn't expound, I just answered. But the fact is they would be playing for much more than a conference championship.

Case in point, Softball had the #1 out of conference RPI in the country but because they were stuck playing for a" SB "Conference Championship" (successfully I might add) their results dwindled to the point where they couldn't even host.

Ultimately that probably cost them a trip to Oklahoma.
    Turbine, are you sure that is the case?

Did anybody play for the National Championship (softball) that year?

10. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Turbine, are you sure that is the case?

Did anybody play for the National Championship (softball) that year?
    Indication were that 2020 was headed in that repeat direction but that wasn't the year I was referencing.

The season I was talking about Scott Farmer was head of the selection committee and came back with a seed lower than their national ranking.

Even though they had the #1 OOC RPI in the country.

I have met him, he is a good guy, except he likes to stir up traffic on his board by acting like he is promoting this ridiculous independent idea that has already failed miserably at UL.

Indication were that 2020 was headed in that repeat direction but that wasn't the year I was referencing.

The season I was talking about Scott Farmer was head of the selection committee and came back with a seed lower than their national ranking.

Even though they had the #1 OOC RPI in the country.
    You still harping on this 10 years later I see (2012 is the year).

Yes, #1 OOC RPI ranking (25-0 OOC), but the SOS in OOC play was ranked 44th overall. RPI was #11 overall. They played a total of 4 games against the RPI top 25. But #1 OOC RPI doesn't guarantee you anything. There's more to it than that, like the fact that we didn't even win the Sun Belt tournament.

They were correctly placed in the bracket that year.

The day UL goes independent in your fantasy world is the day I stop supporting them.

13. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLA View Post
    You still harping on this 10 years later I see (2012 is the year).

Yes, #1 OOC RPI ranking (25-0 OOC), but the SOS in OOC play was ranked 44th overall. RPI was #11 overall. They played a total of 4 games against the RPI top 25. But #1 OOC RPI doesn't guarantee you anything. There's more to it than that, like the fact that we didn't even win the Sun Belt tournament.

They were correctly placed in the bracket that year.

The day UL goes independent in your fantasy world is the day I stop supporting them.
    You obviously haven't thought this through.

I was asked a question and I answered.

The fact remains that the regular season of playing in the SBC for a conference championship removed opportunities to play better competition the rest of the way.

Your pointing out "They played a total of 4 games against the RPI top 25" proves my point. The SBC steals opportunities.

14. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

. . . The SBC steals opportunities.
    While it makes others . . .

15. Default Re: SBC Media Deal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    While it makes others . . .
    Offering a $2 million TV deal is taking more than its giving.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread Information