Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Numbers that Mean Nothing, Except Maybe to Me

Default Numbers that Mean Nothing, Except Maybe to Me

Every year I get asked how much longer I'm going to do this.and more and more people ask each year for obvious reasons. My response has always been "as long as my health is good and they want me, I'll continue."

But I told some who asked toward the end of the athletic season that it might be the travel that gets me.

So I went back and put it all together. How many miles did I fly and did I drive. And, how many nights did I spend away from home.

The numbers I give you aren't going to include times on a bus with the team (football and basketball). Just flying and driving

Air miles: 2,854
    Driving Miles: 4,284
    Nights in hotels: 60

Now, in comparison to truck drivers and some others, that's nothing. But that's still a lot of nights away from home and way too much driving for my taste.

Either way, the reality is I won't be doing this forever. I'm still not sure how much longer.

Default Re: Numbers that Mean Nothing, Except Maybe to Me

You DO know bad news (even that of a speculative nature) is typically reserved for Fridays, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    You DO know bad news (even that of a speculative nature) is typically reserved for Fridays, right?
    Studies have statistically shown that there’s less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

-Bob Slydell

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Studies have statistically shown that there’s less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.

-Bob Slydell
    Timing is everything.

https://youtu.be/-9NMt42il4Q

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott

Anyway, as a guy who is away from home a ton for work, I know how much it can wear on you and your family. Boy do I know.

It’s kind of crazy when you think about it. I have two experiences of Cajuns athletics. About half of my experiences are attending in person, but the other half is through your voice and your perspective. Needless to say you’ve been a big part of all of our experiences, and we’ve been fortunate to have a quality broadcaster with such an intimate knowledge of Cajuns athletics for as long as we have.

Whatever you decide, and whenever you decide it, best of luck to you.

They may have to get three people to do Jay's job once he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Every year I get asked how much longer I'm going to do this.and more and more people ask each year for obvious reasons. My response has always been "as long as my health is good and they want me, I'll continue."

But I told some who asked toward the end of the athletic season that it might be the travel that gets me.

So I went back and put it all together. How many miles did I fly and did I drive. And, how many nights did I spend away from home.

The numbers I give you aren't going to include times on a bus with the team (football and basketball). Just flying and driving

Now, in comparison to truck drivers and some others, that's nothing. But that's still a lot of nights away from home and way too much driving for my taste.

Either way, the reality is I won't be doing this forever. I'm still not sure how much longer.
    Jay, you can leave when you die. Anything less & You're a quitter man. Seriously, Jay you are one of the all time great play by play guys in the sports business. I hope this isn't your Jim Henderson way of telling us you're hanging it up. So let's pretend you are the quentessential superstar athlete. You need to take at least 3-5 retirement laps around the track before actually leaving. Just know that when you do decide to flange it up. You will leave your little part of the sporting community with with a ton of incredibly great memories. That is except for that terrible tune Tuesday crap that was funny for about tow weeks, then became boring, then click onto something else after a month. Of any bad decision you ever made. That goes down as being by far the worst ever. And your protegee still doesn't get it.

Jay let me first say I love what you do and hope you continue for a long time. Having said that, as someone who travels a ton for work also, I would love trading my travel for travel calling sports.
    Again no offense and I really do get that it is a job and you are still away from family a lot

4 more years 4 more years 4 more years

Or more please

9. Default Re: Numbers that Mean Nothing, Except Maybe to Me

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

Jay, I have told you this in person a few times, we are the lucky to have you. I listen and watch tons of college sports, specifically in the mid major level and their are very few as good as you at our level, hell their are very few as good as you at the P5 level. You are a class act and a good man. This Kyle and I agree on, I hope you do this as long as you want and as long as you can. The reality for me is that I would hope you would do this for many many years to come, but realize that is not going to happen. We need to all appreciate what we have. I dare you, just go listen and watch mid major sports in other areas, we are lucky to have you and for the ones of us that know you, we are lucky to have met you.

You were one of the first to reach out to me when my tragedy happened a few years ago and I will always hold a special place in my heart for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Jay, I have told you this in person a few times, we are the lucky to have you. I listen and watch tons of college sports, specifically in the mid major level and their are very few as good as you at our level, hell their are very few as good as you at the P5 level. You are a class act and a good man. This Kyle and I agree on, I hope you do this as long as you want and as long as you can. The reality for me is that I would hope you would do this for many many years to come, but realize that is not going to happen. We need to all appreciate what we have. I dare you, just go listen and watch mid major sports in other areas, we are lucky to have you and for the ones of us that know you, we are lucky to have met you.

You were one of the first to reach out to me when my tragedy happened a few years ago and I will always hold a special place in my heart for that.
    Jay is the man. I don't even want to think about his replacement.

I used to spend half of my work time away from home in hotels. I am glad to say I do not do that any more.

Hope to have you around as the voice of the Ragin Cajuns for a very long time. We're lucky to have you, buddy. #icon

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Hope to have you around as the voice of the Ragin Cajuns for a very long time. We're lucky to have you, buddy. #icon
    #icon.

/thread

Gosh, I didn't mean for this to turn into what it did. But I appreciate the kindness.

It's at the end of May every year when I talk about travel getting to me. Then by September I can't wait to get back on the road. I'm sure this year will be no different.

I've signed up for year #31. And, my plan is to continue after that.

But it isn't my call. I'll be 70 in November (go Cajuns, beat Troy). If God continues to bless me with good health, I'm not going anywhere (except sometimes three times in one year to Jonesboro, AR, among other places.) LOL

Well, I can understand losing a member of that small fraternity in Ron this week makes one reflect. Having retired once, went back to work, and now having the medical card thrown at me bigly, I can tell you one thing. You’ll know when it’s right for yourself. And never look back.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information