Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB draft

Default Re: Mlb draft

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    The dream of most ballplayers is to make it to the Majors. But the reality is the the chances of 99% of all players making it to the MLB level of baseball is so very low that it is best to plan for the future without baseball. Getting drafted is really the easy part, making it is virtually impossible. Not only do you have to have the skill and mentality to make it, more importantly you have to be in the right situation. Just think of a SS being drafted by the Yankees during the Jeter years. It ain't happening!

So I wish the best for all of them, but most of the time they are better off playing in college, enjoy the experience and prepare for life after baseball. Besides Ron Guidry and Lucroy, do any of you recall any others that have had a significant career at the MLB level in the past 50 years?
    Xavier Hernandez and Paul Bako played in the majors for a few years. Don't know if I would call their careers significant. BJ Ryan also comes to mind. Still the point in the above post is valid. Many ex players have said the most fun they ever had in their baseball careers was at the college level. Winning is not important in the minors, development is. That makes it tough for lots of guys who have to change their mindset. I recall Robe once saying some of his guys who played in the minors may have had only a couple of guys who spoke English as teammates on some teams. Minors is a very rough life. Fortunately, MLB just agreed to improve the conditions for those guys.

Default Re: Julian Brock, Tyler Robertson UL's top options for MLB draft

TR to San Diego in the 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Xavier Hernandez and Paul Bako played in the majors for a few years. Don't know if I would call their careers significant. BJ Ryan also comes to mind. Still the point in the above post is valid. Many ex players have said the most fun they ever had in their baseball careers was at the college level. Winning is not important in the minors, development is. That makes it tough for lots of guys who have to change their mindset. I recall Robe once saying some of his guys who played in the minors may have had only a couple of guys who spoke English as teammates on some teams. Minors is a very rough life. Fortunately, MLB just agreed to improve the conditions for those guys.
    Not disagreeing with what you said, but Paul Bako spent 12 years in the big leagues. Long enough to be fully vested in the pension plan.

That’s pretty darn significant.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    Is Tyler Robertson leaving regardless of draft position or even FA deal?
    I heard from one kid with in that TR might consider staying. He wants to be an outfielder. He thinks they brought a kid in this year that would allow him to play outfield here. He may consider staying in that case.

Default Re: 2022 MLB draft

B J Ryan had a good career going until TJ surgery. 2x all star. And famously paid by Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Not disagreeing with what you said, but Paul Bako spent 12 years in the big leagues. Long enough to be fully vested in the pension plan.

That’s pretty darn significant.
    Yeah. 10 years is a very big deal to players. Less than 10% get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MWolf View Post
    Danny Farquhar and BJ Ryan, but your point stands.
    How could I have missed those two, plus Bako, Hernandez and the rest that were mentioned. Thanks for those reminders. Still, the path to success if very, very, very narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    I heard from one kid with in that TR might consider staying. He wants to be an outfielder. He thinks they brought a kid in this year that would allow him to play outfield here. He may consider staying in that case.
    I think San Diego is going to meet his "number." He was drafted as an outfielder and I believe he's ready to start his professional career.

TR is the first Cajun ever to be drafted by San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Bo Bonds has been drafted by Toronto in the 13th round.
    Not a terrible thing. Opens up a scholarship and couldn't have pitched next season anyway. Best of luck to him.

11. Default Re: 2022 MLB draft

MLB could save some money by drafting players rights and NILing (prolonging) their college playing days.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    MLB could save some money by drafting players rights and NILing (prolonging) their college playing days.
    Teams only have their rights until the step foot back into a college classroom.

13. Default Re: 2022 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Teams only have their rights until the step foot back into a college classroom.
    Seems like, NIL changed that.

Do lawyers paying NIL money lose their NIL rights when the student steps back in the classroom?

14. Default Re: 2022 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Seems like, NIL changed that.

Do lawyers paying NIL money lose their NIL rights when the student steps back in the classroom?
    You obviously do not understand why they do NIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    Yes my son has a close friend competing at 3rd and he said the same thing. We shall see.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information