Thread: UL to Jointly Manage Science Museum

Default UL to Jointly Manage Science Museum

Great news…will help give a new learning experience for our students, plus it keeps us front and center in the public’s eye.

https://louisiana.edu/news-events/ne.artnership-lcg

2. Default Re: UL to Jointly Manage Science Museum

I was just about to post this, you beat me to it. I think this is awesome.

Default Re: UL to Jointly Manage Science Museum

Cool stuff. Glad to see the relationship between LCG and UL improving and evolving.

Last time I was up there (and its been a while) there was some unused space on the top floor. Sound like this (if it still is unused) will be part of the expanded services.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Cool stuff. Glad to see the relationship between LCG and UL improving and evolving.

Last time I was up there (and its been a while) there was some unused space on the top floor. Sound like this (if it still is unused) will be part of the expanded services.
    Yeah, but I think we had already taken over the 3rd floor? Not sure. If not, there is an opportunity there. But what I was thinking is of the annex, which used to be the Heymann’s wharehouse/storage building. Not sure how much of that was ever converted to museum usage. In any event, I don’t think building new space is what they mean, or would be feasible…given that they are very land-locked in that location. Not to mention the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yeah, but I think we had already taken over the 3rd floor? Not sure. If not, there is an opportunity there. But what I was thinking is of the annex, which used to be the Heymann’s wharehouse/storage building. Not sure how much of that was ever converted to museum usage. In any event, I don’t think building new space is what they mean, or would be feasible…given that they are very land-locked in that location. Not to mention the costs.
    Isn't the old Heymann's the Children's Museum?

Isn't the old Heymann's the Children's Museum?
    Ok, I think I was a little confused about this. The old Heymann’s store is located @433 Jefferson, and that is the home of the science museum. The Children’s museum is located @201 Congress st, which I think is what used to be the Heymann’s storage warehouse. I guess at some point the children’s part moved to just the annex, because I know at one point it was in the old store.

Ok, I think I was a little confused about this. The old Heymann’s store is located @433 Jefferson, and that is the home of the science museum. The Children’s museum is located @201 Congress st, which I think is what used to be the Heymann’s storage warehouse. I guess at some point the children’s part moved to just the annex, because I know at one point it was in the old store.
    And I'm not sure what the annex is.

The Heymann's Deapartment Storefront on Jefferson is the Science Museum.

I thought the Children's Museum was across Polk at the old Heymann's Grocery store, unless it moved. Park Internationale is on the side of the Children's Museum.

I thought the Children's Museum was across Polk at the old Heymann's Grocery store, unless it moved. Park Internationale is on the side of the Children's Museum.
    You are correct. Well, we both kind of are, I’m just wrong maybe in the naming. The children's museum is at the corner of Polk and Congress. I just thought that used to be a storage for Heymann’s, but I guess it was a grocery store. I didn’t know that. Didn’t know Heymann’s had a grocery store.

Glad Kevin Krantz wasn't bumped out the way. The guy took over the Science Museum years ago at a piviotal point and brought it back. Staff was a very tight and knowledgeable bunch pre Covid.

More very good news for UL!

From the children's museum website…
    “After the March, 1993, purchase of the historic Heymann Food Center building at 201 East Congress Street in Lafayette, the museum finally had its permanent home.”

Also, I think I remember reading on the wall of history heading towards the restroom that it used to be the largest grocery store in Louisiana. IIRC.

You are correct. Well, we both kind of are, I’m just wrong maybe in the naming. The children's museum is at the corner of Polk and Congress. I just thought that used to be a storage for Heymann’s, but I guess it was a grocery store. I didn’t know that. Didn’t know Heymann’s had a grocery store.
    When first married, 67, and wife putting me thru grad school, that store was our cheep food. 18 months ate on their specials. Funky smell. Cheap prices. Meat section was scary. Still better than on campus.

Thread Information