Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RIP Ron Gomez

Default Re: RIP Ron Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    When was his last year as the voice of the Cajuns sports?
    1961 to 1979.

2. Default Re: RIP Ron Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    1961 to 1979.
    ….Just loved the guy….would listen to his show to hear “SatinDoll” theme he had every day…...he put together the Spirit of ‘76 video that was on here….what a voice….loved “Under my skin” when he sang…..and the call as Bo crossed mid court with Ball and shot : Lamar from Fatima…..BINGO!….think he was responsible for the laws on seatbelts or helmets for motorcycles! Love ya man!

3. Default Re: RIP Ron Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    1961 to 1979.
    For 18 of my first 19 years, he was the Voice of the Cajuns.

I didn't know Mr. Gomez personally, but by hearing him on the radio so much, I sort of felt like I did know him. When he got into politics, it also seemed that we were on the same page the vast majority of the time. May he Rest In Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    As a very young kid listened to Ron call then USL basketball games during the Bo Lamar era. It was literally the first sports radio broadcasts I ever listened to. Would listen on a small transistor radio and would bring it with me to family events and outings to make sure I did not miss any games. Very special memories of those broadcasts with Ron. As long time Cajun fans we have been very fortunate to have tremendous play by play broadcasters in Ron, Don Allen and now Jay. RIP Mr. Gomez.
    Abolsutely correct! And we are amiss by not mentioning it more often, thank you for doing so!

We need to count our blessings before we count our misgivings, then maybe they will turn into blessings.

He was a great radio guy but an even better person.

7. Default Re: RIP Ron Gomez

I first met Ron Gomez in 1968 as a 17 year old freshman on the USL Bulldog basketball team. Some 33 years later I was asked and honored to serve on the 2001 Beryl Shipley Basketball Reunion Committee along with Ron, Coaches Beryl Shipley and Tom Cox, Robert Trahan, Eddie Mouton and Dr. Ed Dugas. Ron was MC for the opening night banquet and did not disappoint. There was no secret the mutual affection shared by him and Coach Shipley. Ron was a dynamic personality and was at his best behind a microphone. I’m sure he shared my extreme disappointment with the Lights Out In Blackham production video not being completed. We missed a huge opportunity. Lafayette, Southwest Louisiana and the University lost another great one. Thank you Ron Gomez RIP

8. Default Re: RIP Ron Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    He was the original "Voice of the Cajuns." And he got to cover the true glory years of Ragin' Cajuns basketball.
    I had so much admiration and respect for that man.

This is a tough one.
    Just spoke to Don Allen’s son. A tough one for Don as Well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information