Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Attendance Comparison

UL Football Football Attendance Comparison

Just saw this post about Pac 12 football attendance for Oregon State and Washington State and they are playing PAC 12 schools.

Thought I would do a comparison to UL. Pretty comparable, except for schedules. Pretty sad, actually, for a P5 conference. Also, pretty sad for UL given what we accomplished last season and our record over the past 4 years at 40-12.

Louisiana's OOC schedule was Texas, Nichols, Ohio & Liberty. UL finished 7-0 at home and 13-1 overall with a bowl win over Marshall. Finished season ranked #16 in AP Poll. Stadium capacity is 41,126, but averaged only 22,485 in home attendance. Stadium renovations of $60 M (?) are currently under fund-raising.

Oregon State's OOC was Purdue, Idaho and Hawaii. They finished 6-0 at home and 7-6 overall and lost in a bowl game to Utah State. Stadium capacity is 43,363. Stadium renovations of $153 M, are underway to turn it into a year-round facility with completion in 2023.

Washington State's OOC was Utah State, Portland State and BYU. They finished 4-3 at home and 7-6 overall and lost in a bowl game to Central Michigan. Stadium capacity is 33,941. Last renovated in 2014.

Look at those two team’s attendances. Washington State drew under 30,000 in three home games last year. And Oregon State’s attendance is even worse. Oregon State’s best home game attendance last year was 26,000 vs Stanford. Oregon State’s attendance numbers are honestly the worst I can ever recall seeing from a power conference team, except for possibly Kansas . (And this was despite Oregon State having a rare decent 7-5 regular season.)

Default Re: Football Attendance Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Just saw this post about Pac 12 football attendance for Oregon State and Washington State and they are playing PAC 12 schools.

Thought I would do a comparison to UL. Pretty comparable, except for schedules. Pretty sad, actually, for a P5 conference. Also, pretty sad for UL given what we accomplished last season and our record over the past 4 years at 40-12.

Louisiana's OOC schedule was Texas, Nichols, Ohio & Liberty. UL finished 7-0 at home and 13-1 overall with a bowl win over Marshall. Finished season ranked #16 in AP Poll. Stadium capacity is 41,126, but averaged only 22,485 in home attendance. Stadium renovations of $60 M (?) are currently under fund-raising.

Oregon State's OOC was Purdue, Idaho and Hawaii. They finished 6-0 at home and 7-6 overall and lost in a bowl game to Utah State. Stadium capacity is 43,363. Stadium renovations of $153 M, are underway to turn it into a year-round facility with completion in 2023.

Washington State's OOC was Utah State, Portland State and BYU. They finished 4-3 at home and 7-6 overall and lost in a bowl game to Central Michigan. Stadium capacity is 33,941. Last renovated in 2014.

Look at those two team’s attendances. Washington State drew under 30,000 in three home games last year. And Oregon State’s attendance is even worse. Oregon State’s best home game attendance last year was 26,000 vs Stanford. Oregon State’s attendance numbers are honestly the worst I can ever recall seeing from a power conference team, except for possibly Kansas . (And this was despite Oregon State having a rare decent 7-5 regular season.)
    I think their attendance has a lot to do where the schools are located. Move them to the western parts of their states where the alumni live and attendance would be much better.

Their relative isolation geographically would certainly impact attendance; but so too does the region. Put those same 2 programs in a football crazy region like the Deep South (SEC) and they’d probably double attendance.
    Given the same opportunity conference affiliation wise for UL (ex: Big 12, even without UT/OU) and we’d see significantly improved attendance, even with the strong draw of LSU 50 miles East.
    Unlikely to happen, just saying for argument sake.

One of Oregon States home games conflicted with the opening of squirrel season...

Signed,
    Casual Fan

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    Their relative isolation geographically would certainly impact attendance; but so too does the region. Put those same 2 programs in a football crazy region like the Deep South (SEC) and they’d probably double attendance.
    Given the same opportunity conference affiliation wise for UL (ex: Big 12, even without UT/OU) and we’d see significantly improved attendance, even with the strong draw of LSU 50 miles East.
    Unlikely to happen, just saying for argument sake.
    What's interesting to me is that we are in a relatively even par with these P5 schools and possibly others, especially when we get out stadium renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    What's interesting to me is that we are in a relatively even par with these P5 schools and possibly others, especially when we get out stadium renovated.
    It will be a good wait before it is renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    It will be a good wait before it is renovated.
    I certainly don’t have ears on the process. This Fall will tell a lot if we are unable to begin demo following this season. Not holding my breath but like so many on this board I will be disappointed.

Oregon St is in Ville Platte??

I certainly don’t have ears on the process. This Fall will tell a lot if we are unable to begin demo following this season. Not holding my breath but like so many on this board I will be disappointed.
    I am thinking that you and others will be disappointed.

I believe that Cajun Field will be eventually renovated. However, I don't see any way that it will begin after this coming season. With interest rates rising, inflation at a 40+ year high and supply chain issues, it will be much more difficult for Dr. Maggard or anyone else to raise the necessary money that quick. I'm hoping that we see the project start sometime in 2024 or 2025! If something happens faster than that, so much the better.

IMO, the first item of note will be our attendance, both with season ticket and individual game ticket sales. We have to grow our fan base (I don't have a solution, I just recognize it as a big problem). Having a growing fan base makes it more conducive to outside companies to invest in our athletics, IMO.

And I don't blame the administration, marketing, or anything UL. This is a community issue that we have to overcome to succeed, again IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I believe that Cajun Field will be eventually renovated. However, I don't see any way that it will begin after this coming season. With interest rates rising, inflation at a 40+ year high and supply chain issues, it will be much more difficult for Dr. Maggard or anyone else to raise the necessary money that quick. I'm hoping that we see the project start sometime in 2024 or 2025! If something happens faster than that, so much the better.
    ____ed up by doing everything else before the most important facility.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    IMO, the first item of note will be our attendance, both with season ticket and individual game ticket sales. We have to grow our fan base (I don't have a solution, I just recognize it as a big problem). Having a growing fan base makes it more conducive to outside companies to invest in our athletics, IMO.

And I don't blame the administration, marketing, or anything UL. This is a community issue that we have to overcome to succeed, again IMO.
    We have to make attending UL football games an event. Doesn't matter that we are winning. Our games are boring. The students don't attend, overall attendance is mediocre, the band doesn't bring any excitement and energy, and the overall atmosphere is lacking. People want to experience something special in attending Louisiana football and we aren't giving it to them. It doesn't matter that the actual on the field play is just as good. They would rather watch the excitement of a packed stadium and hear "Hold that Tiger" or "The Eyes of Texas" or "Boomer Sooner" or "Hail to the Victors" and all the pageantry that comes with P5 football than listen to "Respect" and a half-filled stadium and wonder why UL football isn't or can't be the same. So, they sit back and watch a game on TV that gives them more pleasure than watching a live game at Cajun Field. That is the big difference in P5 and G5 football. We've learn nothing from playing road games vs P5 teams as to what makes them successful. Until UL figures this out, nothing will change.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    One of Oregon States home games conflicted with the opening of squirrel season...

Signed,
    Casual Fan
    Its true, we live in the Sportmans Paridise. Dove opener in September, Squirrel/Rabbit in October, Deer openers in Oct & Nov, Ducks in November. Its been that way for most of our lifetimes. Those traditions are set. On the other hand, college football traditions are being upended by television/media money. All programs need more funding, many donors become tapped out, so conferences milk every dollar from media. The tradeoff is college football traditions getting shoved around leading to fans being treated to a wide array of kick off times or day of week kick off times and longer games for TV commercials to pay the bills. In the deep south a Saturday evening kick off is tradition. In the north they might prefer a 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. kick off so less are driving home in the snow in the dark. Seems there's no going back to the tradition of so many decades.

Obviously we just have to keep winning, keep the buzz going for fan attendance and at the same time get more eyeballs to watch us when on national TV. Not a fan of Friday night college games but if a national TV game maybe since the only game on, will be more eyeballs watching the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Its true, we live in the Sportmans Paridise. Dove opener in September, Squirrel/Rabbit in October, Deer openers in Oct & Nov, Ducks in November. Its been that way for most of our lifetimes. Those traditions are set. On the other hand, college football traditions are being upended by television/media money. All programs need more funding, many donors become tapped out, so conferences milk every dollar from media. The tradeoff is college football traditions getting shoved around leading to fans being treated to a wide array of kick off times or day of week kick off times and longer games for TV commercials to pay the bills. In the deep south a Saturday evening kick off is tradition. In the north they might prefer a 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. kick off so less are driving home in the snow in the dark. Seems there's no going back to the tradition of so many decades.

Obviously we just have to keep winning, keep the buzz going for fan attendance and at the same time get more eyeballs to watch us when on national TV. Not a fan of Friday night college games but if a national TV game maybe since the only game on, will be more eyeballs watching the Cajuns.
    Last time I checked, LSU was in the Sportsman Paradise as well and their attendance isn't affected by hunting season. We can come up with all the excuses in the world, but we still have to make our games special that fans want to attend. See my previous post. We fail to capture fan interest and if they do attend, don't make the fan experience compelling enough to want to return, except for the diehard fans.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information