Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajundome Roof: Wow

Default Re: Cajundome Roof: Not much we can do about it

From a 2017 article, “For an additional $50,000, a chemical compound that's resistant to algae and fungus was applied to the resurfaced roof, Phil Ashurst, Cajundome operations director, said.”

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...ning/96499202/

2. Default Re: Cajundome Roof: Not much we can do about it

they must have forgot to add the chemical compound or we only bought the compound that covers black algae.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofEsquleto View Post
    they must have forgot to add the chemical compound or we only bought the compound that covers black algae.
    Welcome back Local Yocal!

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Welcome back Local Yocal!
    Try again

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    That is my great fear of all the new buildings on campus. They built them but can they maintain them. I dunno. The old dorms were built with masonry partition walls, concrete floors, and asbestos shingles. The new dorms, etc were build with wooden structure, plywood floors and asphalt shingles.

The parking garages are nice .......now. but can they keep them clean? I dunno. The stairwells stink like pee. there is trash all over and graffiti in spots. Every now and then you look down and see a syringe. They do have low maintenance landscaping though.

We have a President that pays attention to these things ....... now. Joe Savoie won't be here forever. Money gets tight in the future the first thing to get cut is.......Maintenance.
    I know that every building built under Ragin’ Cajun Facilities Inc. has its own dedicated maintenance and upkeep fund.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    You have to be careful when looking at the studies. First, a model is constantly being modified and updated. The UL study was only one of the many "studies" done and from what I understand, not the only study used in determining what to do and where. First of all any study that is performed and used by a local government must be performed by a licensed engineer in practice. The UL study was done by a school which may or may not be done by a licensed engineer. I would not trust any opinion of any news media outlet relative to drainage because, to be honest, they don't know their butt from a whole in the ground.
    Well then two things could be true.

1. UL’s study is legit and done by legit engineers, and LCG is wasting their money on these ponds.

2. Instead of using qualified engineers, LCG opted to work with people who don’t know their butt from a hole in the ground.

Either way… pas bon.

And this isn’t even getting into the numerous State, Federal and Local laws LCG appears to have broken in pursuit of this drainage plan which could end up costing the parish tens of millions of dollars in fines and settlements.

Again… pas bon.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

1. UL’s study is legit and done by legit engineers, and LCG is wasting their money on these ponds.

2. Instead of using qualified engineers, LCG opted to work with people who don’t know their butt from a hole in the ground.

Either way… pas bon.

And this isn’t even getting into the numerous State, Federal and Local laws LCG appears to have broken in pursuit of this drainage plan which could end up costing the parish tens of millions of dollars in fines and settlements.

Again… pas bon.
    I said the MEDIA doesn't know it's butt from a hole in the ground. I wouldn't trust what the media says.

The spoil banks should have been gone years ago. The corp of engineers put them there and Mr Wingate, who is with the Corps said they should be gone. Actually, they should have never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    I asked some questions and got the following answers:

1. The discoloration of the roof is due to both green and red algae. Most of what everyone is seeing that looks “black” is the red algae.

2. The roof coating itself is functioning properly with no leaks in the membrane or outer coating. We have had the manufacturer of the coating inspect it for defect of application, but they could not find any. Algae growth is common and nearly impossible to prevent in our climate.

3. We do indeed have a 20 year warranty on the roof coating, but only for function (weatherproof, protection, etc), but not for cleanliness. No manufacturers offer a warranty for cleanliness, that we could find in 2015-2016 when the design phase of that project started.

4. We are not using the same company that applied the coating in 2017. We followed the state procurement guidelines for getting quotes and awarding the job to the lowest quote. The total quote is $49,500.

5. The project should start within the next couple of weeks. We are waiting for the cleaning product that the coating manufacturer recommended to maintain the warranty we do have. Once started, the process should only take about 1 week, depending on weather.
    Thank you for your inquiry. Your comments make much sense, at least to any homeowner reading this. We do face a continuos battle with algae on our houses.

This building is just magnified.

The bid was apparently won by a company named LA Drone Services. The cleaning will be done by a drone.

The bid was apparently won by a company named LA Drone Services. The cleaning will be done by a drone.
    That makes sense (I beleive) and if they are able to map out a coverage grid and program it to provide an even coating with overlap we should get a good safe application. By safe, I mean no personal injuries.

I still want to know how we spent $50k on a chemical that made the roof “self-cleaning” and gave a “20-year clean warranty”, only to have the roof look terrible within 5 years (the roof was bad in 2021).

Source: The Daily Disappointment https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...ning/96499202/

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

Either way… pas bon.

Again… pas bon.
    Great point. I’m curious what funding sources were used for this fecal festival, and what funds will be used to rectify this. The parish side has been struggling before consolidation, city money should not be spent outside the city limits, neither city or parish money should of been spent outside the parish, and Lord forbid, the federal Covid relief money was spent on this. Cannot phantom such work can be tied to the outfall of Covid. Nor should city money be spent outside the city limits to rectify the mistakes in the parish. Dedicated taxes should be spent as dedicated by the voters.

What an utter failure on multiple levels. The fear of flooding made all the politicans more concerned about their own futures and prudent thinking never entered the picture until the courts got involved. THEN and only then the councils quickly washed their hands and dumped the questions on the MP, who should of known better...he's a lawyer.

As far as the dome and fly ash from sugar cane, yes it happens. The roof on my parents home when they built was originally white shingles. In the fall, the ash would land on the roof and cling on the shingles. Next roof was black.

I still want to know how we spent $50k on a chemical that made the roof “self-cleaning” and gave a “20-year clean warranty”, only to have the roof look terrible within 5 years (the roof was bad in 2021).

Source: The Daily Disappointment https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...ning/96499202/
    I wonder if the black ash from sugar cane burning, as noted in the article, is the cause of issue. If so, I'm sure there is a listing of what the warranty covers, and I expect black ash from sugar cane burning is not one of them. JMO, which has no value!

He does lots of houses as well and can do it at a cheaper price than hiring some of these companies to have guys get on the roof and manually spray.

15. Default Re: Cajundome Roof: Not much we can do about it

Thanks for your work on this. It’s clear to me, and considering the sources you’ve listed, someone is FOS. Either the self cleaning chemical is BS or the mouthpiece of the CD decision makers are lying.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information