Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining Season!

1. UL Football Defining Season!

In my view, this will be an extremely critical season for UL football for a number of reasons. Obviously, the coaching change leads the list. Having been given the job, Desormeaux deserves a chance to show what he can do. Like others here, I don't feel this hire was the best decision for our program, but that train has left the station. We'll see how it goes. The greater concern is how the other SBC teams are only getting better. Arkansas State and Coastal just had outstanding recruiting classes. I don't know how long he'll be there, but Butch Jones is turning that program around quickly. Of course, Coastal is always a problem for us, as is App State who continues to recruit well also. Add Marshall and Southern Miss to the equation and the SBC will be one tough conference to win going forward. We've all watched major programs like Florida State, USC, Texas and others struggle to rebuild after only 1 or 2 sub-par seasons, so it can just as easily happen to us. Regarding earlier comments about money and reinvestment in our stadium infrastructure. If I'm not mistaken, we received $3MM from Florida for the Napier buyout and are now saving between $1.25 MM and $1.5MM per year in the head coach's salary. (Napier was $2MM+ and Desormeaux is $775k) Sidenote...I don't want to believe this was a key driver in hiring Desormeaux, but it has crossed my mind. Nonetheless, in year one this means we should have around $4MM available to reinvest, so not sure what the problem is, at least from a financial perspective. I know there are many more moving parts in the budget but there should be money available. Just like most, if not all of you, I'm a huge Cajun fan and only want the best for this program. Even without the coaching change, it was going to be a very challenging next couple of years.
    I hope Desormeaux is the right man to lead us through it. Geaux Cajuns!

2. UL Football Re: Defining Season!

They’ve already spent the Billy money. They talked about it ealy in the new coaches tenure, around the NOLA Bowl. Can’t recall what they did.

Every time you hire a new coach it’s a crap shoot. There’s reasons why coaches like Butch Jones and the Ga Southern coach are available.

I want to believe the primary reason we went in house was the reasons Maggard outlined.

Default Re: Defining Season!

I agree that this season will be defining.... For that good post

But paragraphs can be your friend. I had a hard time reading it without breaks

4. Default Re: Defining Season!

excellent point, noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyrock1980 View Post
    In my view, this will be an extremely critical season for UL football for a number of reasons. Obviously, the coaching change leads the list. Having been given the job, Desormeaux deserves a chance to show what he can do. Like others here, I don't feel this hire was the best decision for our program, but that train has left the station. We'll see how it goes. The greater concern is how the other SBC teams are only getting better. Arkansas State and Coastal just had outstanding recruiting classes. I don't know how long he'll be there, but Butch Jones is turning that program around quickly. Of course, Coastal is always a problem for us, as is App State who continues to recruit well also. Add Marshall and Southern Miss to the equation and the SBC will be one tough conference to win going forward. We've all watched major programs like Florida State, USC, Texas and others struggle to rebuild after only 1 or 2 sub-par seasons, so it can just as easily happen to us. Regarding earlier comments about money and reinvestment in our stadium infrastructure. If I'm not mistaken, we received $3MM from Florida for the Napier buyout and are now saving between $1.25 MM and $1.5MM per year in the head coach's salary. (Napier was $2MM+ and Desormeaux is $775k) Sidenote...I don't want to believe this was a key driver in hiring Desormeaux, but it has crossed my mind. Nonetheless, in year one this means we should have around $4MM available to reinvest, so not sure what the problem is, at least from a financial perspective. I know there are many more moving parts in the budget but there should be money available. Just like most, if not all of you, I'm a huge Cajun fan and only want the best for this program. Even without the coaching change, it was going to be a very challenging next couple of years.
    I hope Desormeaux is the right man to lead us through it. Geaux Cajuns!
    I agree in the important nature of this year. Every year is obviously an important one but this one may have the most impact on making sure we are able to sustain the recent success. This will be a big year to show prospective recruits that this program can be operated and flourish under Desormeaux and without Napier. We have a lot of experience that will be leaving after this season and recruiting will be of utmost importance.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    They’ve already spent the Billy money. They talked about it early in the new coaches tenure, around the NOLA Bowl. Can’t recall what they did.

Every time you hire a new coach it’s a crap shoot. There’s reasons why coaches like Butch Jones and the Ga Southern coach are available.

I want to believe the primary reason we went in house was the reasons Maggard outlined.
    Think I remember the money went towards the Covid deficit.

CBN recommending CMD played well locally; while most were busy celebrating, CBN cleaned our pantry out.

Now CMD has to prove himself. Of course, some will give him the home town discount of the aforementioned pantry cleaning if things don't work out well. The window is narrow for Des, a few blah years and he will become a USL hire.

Hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Think I remember the money went towards the Covid deficit.

CBN recommending CMD played well locally; while most were busy celebrating, CBN cleaned our pantry out.

Now CMD has to prove himself. Of course, some will give him the home town discount of the aforementioned pantry cleaning if things don't work out well. The window is narrow for Des, a few blah years and he will become a USL hire.

Hoping for the best.
    He's got a talented and experienced team here. The pantry was not left bare. He's got a $2 million coaching fund to work with to bring in quality guys and spend on quality resources. You shouldn't need a few years to make your judgment.

It's impacted recruiting. An outsider with P5 experience offers a larger pool of assistant coach candidates and gives credibility when recruiting.

I love CMD, but he will have an uphill climb hiring seasoned P5 assistant coaches and convincing recruits outside of Acadiana.

9. Default Re: Defining Season!

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    It's impacted recruiting. An outsider with P5 experience offers a larger pool of assistant coach candidates and gives credibility when recruiting.

I love CMD, but he will have an uphill climb hiring seasoned P5 assistant coaches and convincing recruits outside of Acadiana.
    Until the P5 are allowed to take unlimited players, this supposed recruiting advantage will be a zero sum game for the P5.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    He's got a talented and experienced team here. The pantry was not left bare. He's got a $2 million coaching fund to work with to bring in quality guys and spend on quality resources. You shouldn't need a few years to make your judgment.
    Regardless of the salary pool, etc he still is a rookie head coach. He will get at least 3 years to make his imprint on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post

All G5 programs have these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Regardless of the salary pool, etc he still is a rookie head coach. He will get at least 3 years to make his imprint on the program.
    I’m ok with 3 years. I want Des to move to bigger and better things. That would mean success as a program and we weren’t a flash in the pan.

I’m ok with 3 years. I want Des to move to bigger and better things. That would mean success as a program and we weren’t a flash in the pan.
    If he has success I think he is a lifer at UL...See Coach Robe, Coach Bab, Troy Wingerter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    If he has success I think he is a lifer at UL...See Coach Robe, Coach Bab, Troy Wingerter, etc.
    For a head coach in your main revenue product, no. Football isn’t a “work on your state retirement plan” sport.

For a head coach in your main revenue product, no. Football isn’t a “work on your state retirement plan” sport.
    I guess Joe Paterno missed that memo. So if Mike wouldn't have got promoted you think he was looking to leave?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information