Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: Defining Season!

Default Re: Defining Season!

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Coach Stokley was the best coach from an X's and O's stand point this school has ever had. If he would have coached in this era and played the schedules we are playing today he would have been every bit as good as napier or better record wise. Go look at his schedules half his games were against schools that are in the SEC or big 12 today. And he still managed winning seasons.
    I'm well aware of the history. I have two friends that were on that staff, including one that is no longer with us today. My point was, hiring coaches from the P5 model doesn't always guarantee success and we literally captured the proverbial genie in the bottle with the hiring of Billy Napier. I'm not sure that success will be duplicated again.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm well aware of the history. I have two friends that were on that staff, including one that is no longer with us today. My point was, hiring coaches from the P5 model doesn't always guarantee success and we literally captured the proverbial genie in the bottle with the hiring of Billy Napier. I'm not sure that success will be duplicated again.
    Success is never, ever guaranteed. You try and make decisions to increase your chances of success. That's all you can do.

I do know that football success is built from January to September which we don’t get to see what napier did differently that made him better. On the Saturday nights watching the play calling and game management, the things we get to see, he wasn’t that much better than any other. He had some good breaks and won most of the close ones, can’t argue with the record.

I for one think that if there was no such thing as a Covid year and Billy was breaking in a new QB last year, he’d still be the Cajuns coach. Even the super Sr thing worked out perfectly for him. It was the perfect storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    I do know that football success is built from January to September which we don’t get to see what napier did differently that made him better. On the Saturday nights watching the play calling and game management, the things we get to see, he wasn’t that much better than any other. He had some good breaks and won most of the close ones, can’t argue with the record.

I for one think that if there was no such thing as a Covid year and Billy was breaking in a new QB last year, he’d still be the Cajuns coach. Even the super Sr thing worked out perfectly for him. It was the perfect storm.
    That's part of the reason I stated that we are highly unlikely to have that success again. It was a unique situation to have an entire class of 4 year juniors and 8, or more 5th year seniors return for a season. The circumstances help create the opportunity for a special season.

5. Default Re: Defining Season!

If we’re talking about program building, Napier is elite. Hiring coaches, knowing what it takes to win at a national level and recruiting the right players.. he’s elite.

Everything else? I think there is room for improvement. Purely speaking from in-game strategy perspective here: I think losing PT will prove to be a much bigger loss than Napier.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    If we’re talking about program building, Napier is elite. Hiring coaches, knowing what it takes to win at a national level and recruiting the right players.. he’s elite.

Everything else? I think there is room for improvement. Purely speaking from in-game strategy perspective here: I think losing PT will prove to be a much bigger loss than Napier.
    You may be right but I am eager to see what Lamar Morgan and his guys are able to do.

7. Default Re: Defining Season!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You may be right but I am eager to see what Lamar Morgan and his guys are able to do.
    Btw, not a shot at Lamar. I’ve been bullish on getting him back to Lafayette since Billy year 1.

I just think Toney is one of the best in the business and probably the hardest working football junkie I’ve ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

I agree about Toney. The good thing is Lamar got some talent to work with. I think he will have the most talented front and secondary in the conference. As the old saying goes good players make good coaches.

9. Default Re: Defining Season!

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Success is never, ever guaranteed. You try and make decisions to increase your chances of success. That's all you can do.
    …….Best line ever in a hiring interview…….”I know what doesn’t work”…….add to that the greatest success in UL’s history……enter head coach Mike Des!

10. Default Re: Defining Season!

Bingo! Game management is something a head coach can only learn through experience. Billy Napier had to learn it as well, but having coaches like Leger, Viator and Munoz will help ease the transition for Coach Des. There will a learning curve.
    .....Did Leger coach under Viator at McNeese or ULM?

11. Default Re: Defining Season!

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    That’s true. I’m not sure CBN could continue the high quality he attained. The football gods smiled on Billy a lot. He had one or two wins a season that the competition simply lost to him more than we beat them. Also he was befriended by the field goal gods, both in made and missed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Our program under Napier built a national presence and a Top 25 ranking. With Napier's leaving along with key coaches and players, that national perception seems to be lost as we are not mentioned anywhere on a national level today. I feel certain that if Napier were still here, our name would surface in a Top 25 ranking and be mentioned similar to USF, Memphis and SMU for a future spot in the Big 12. We are now in a wait and see mode if Coach Desormeaux can continue the success that Napier had. It only took one major win over Iowa State to elevate Napier's status upon which he continued to build. Des won't get a similar opportunity until we play Florida State in November. If UL is undefeated going into that game, it will be another marquee game and Des' opportunity to get us back to a prominent national position and possible ranking. Fortunately, we appear to be reloading rather than rebuilding, although depth may be a concern. Expectations are high, as they should be for a program that has been so successful in the past 4 years. I see no reason Des can't be as successful as Napier in his first year. He is more of a sure bet as head coach than Napier was when he was hired. He is certainly more vested in this program, his program, and it is time for all of Acadiana to come out and support him and our team as he leads us to even greater heights. That this program can't sell 15,000 season tickets, average over 5,000 student attendance and 30,000 a game minimally for a program that has been this successful over the past 4 years is hard to figure. With all UL has achieved athletically and now academically, it has certainly earned that level of support.
    I also think if Florida had not come calling, Napier would still be here. We'd be ranked and would not have lost as many to the portal....maybe Bailey still goes to TCU to play closer to home and with his brother, but doubt we lose any others. And yes, the timing would have been ideal for consideration to the B12, especially if he and Dr. Maggard, T-Joe started beating the drum about UL potential, academic ranking, research $$, location etc. etc. It would have still been a long shot, but the timing (with CBN still at UL) and the factors currently involved with conference re-alignment were certainly as good as they ever could be for us. That was my biggest disappointment....not so much that he left for Florida, but that our best shot at moving up probably disappeared.

He could have placed a stake in Lafayette and have easily built the next Boise State right in the best recruiting area in the country. But, it wasn't in the cards and now we need to give one of our own, CMD, all the support we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .....Did Leger coach under Viator at McNeese or ULM?
    If I remember correctly, he was at McNeese and then followed Viator to ULM when he went there.

14. Default Re: Defining Season!

Coaches are like players. The CBN who coaches at UL would never have the acclaim he has now as the CBN that is the coach at Florida.

Just like players are 3 stars when they wear a Louisiana jersey then they are a 4 star when they cross the basin bridge and put on an LSU jersey.

It’s ridiculous and maddening but it is what it is.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread Information