Thread: Why Can’t We Get This Kind of Support?!

This is Upsetting Why Can’t We Get This Kind of Support?!

Back in May, Western Colorado University (In Gunnison, Colorado, a few hours south of where I live) received a large donation from an alumni member in order to renovate their football stadium. The crazy part is they’ve already broken ground on this project. It is absolutely pathetic to me that a Division II school receives more alumni support than we do, and has already begun work on their stadium!! Why can’t we get this kind of support?!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why Can’t We Get This Kind of Support?!

Ask Dr. Maggard.

Default Re: Why Can’t We Get This Kind of Support?!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Back in May, Western Colorado University (In Gunnison, Colorado, a few hours south of where I live) received a large donation from an alumni member in order to renovate their football stadium. The crazy part is they’ve already broken ground on this project. It is absolutely pathetic to me that a Division II school receives more alumni support than we do, and has already begun work on their stadium!! Why can’t we get this kind of support?!
    Maybe when the university has an alum worth $1.2 billion

Total project is $15 million

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    Maybe when the university has an alum worth $1.2 billion
    I love it when people do their homework. Rady apparently gave 14 of the 15 million.

https://www.anteroresources.com/abou.am/paul-m-rady

https://www.benzinga.com/sec/insider.ar/paul-m-rady

This donor also lead a successful 80 million campaign on the academic side around 2018 prior to the stadium.

The university has a small group of well connected donors that give when needed. There is no huge general endowment (< 10M). But we can related, they have a rep as a party school, nicknamed “Wasted State”.

I feel like we’re missing the point here. It’s not about how much money was involved, but rather the fact that they have alumni members who actually care about their school and have already started renovating their stadium. We, on the other hand, get all our donations from big corporations, have alumni members who pretend they went to LSU, and a renovation project that hasn’t even gotten remotely close to finishing! A DII school in A small town in Colorado is getting better support than we are, and that is messed up!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    I feel like we’re missing the point here. It’s not about how much money was involved, but rather the fact that they have alumni members who actually care about their school and have already started renovating their stadium. We, on the other hand, get all our donations from big corporations, have alumni members who pretend they went to LSU, and a renovation project that hasn’t even gotten remotely close to finishing! A DII school in A small town in Colorado is getting better support than we are, and that is messed up!
    Again, when the university has an alum that can donate money to fund a project like Rady did, then you might see those large scale improvements. And again, that small school has an alum worth $1.2 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    Again, when the university has an alum that can donate money to fund a project like Rady did, then you might see those large scale improvements. And again, that small school has an alum worth $1.2 billion.
    And the other half, he has an appreciation and thankfulness towards the university that helped define his future.

It takes just one. As benevolent as some of our donors are, we don’t have a billionaire on board.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And the other half, he has an appreciation and thankfulness towards the university that helped define his future.

It takes just one. As benevolent as some of our donors are, we don’t have a billionaire on board.
    And even though U of Colorado is the long P5/big program in the state, kind of like in Louisiana, Mr. Rady in his line of work sure as hell wasn’t going to give his time, treasure and talents for a “flagship” university that almost unilaterally hates his industry that provides jobs, revenue and much needed energy to the entire state.

I salute him for that.

Thread Information