Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference realignment again????

1. Default Conference realignment again????

Looks like USC and UCLA from the PAC 12 to the B1G. Leaves the PAC 12 with 10 Football members. But they lose the L.A. market. Does the PAC 12 stand pat or do they try to make a move. Obviously BYU or someone from the Mountain West make the most sense. Could they look at SDSU, Utah State, Boise or Fresno?

Default Re: conference realignment again????

I could see the Pac12 and Big12 combining, and then giving the “lesser” programs the boot. ACC, Big10, and SEC trim the fat from their leagues and we end up with 4 conferences of 10-12 teams that make up college sports.

Everyone else left to be feeder programs.

Like someone said in another thread, college sports, and everything that has made them great for so many years, won’t be around much longer

Thanks to the almighty dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Looks like USC and UCLA from the PAC 12 to the B1G. Leaves the PAC 12 with 10 Football members. But they lose the L.A. market. Does the PAC 12 stand pat or do they try to make a move. Obviously BYU or someone from the Mountain West make the most sense. Could they look at SDSU, Utah State, Boise or Fresno?
    I can't see Oregon staying in the PAC-12 now

4. Default Re: conference realignment again????

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I could see the Pac12 and Big12 combining, and then giving the “lesser” programs the boot. ACC, Big10, and SEC trim the fat from their leagues and we end up with 4 conferences of 10-12 teams that make up college sports.

Everyone else left to be feeder programs.

Like someone said in another thread, college sports, and everything that has made them great for so many years, won’t be around much longer

Thanks to the almighty dollar.
    That might be tough to do. Do you think the new conference would want to get rid of Arizona or Kansas as they are basketball powerhouses, or do you think they would want to get rid of Oregon State and/or a Maryland who are really good baseball teams. I don't know how you carry Kansas if you want to be a football powerhouse but then again you can't lose them for basketball. It will be tough to come up with a 12 team conference where you don't lose a team that carries your conference in another sport. Football wise it makes sense, if you go with USC, UCLA, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Oregon State maybe and combine them with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota or Nebraska. I think you would have to go 14 deep to be honest with you. At least then you would be able to carry some of those lesser football teams. Right now if they combine it would be a total of 26 schools that you would have to pair down to 12. Maybe if you carry 16 it would be OK. You would have to reduce 6 teams from the B1G and 4 teams from the PAC12. PAC12 might be easy with WSU, Cal, Colorado and someone else, not sure who that may be, you don't want to lose Stanford because of all of the championships they win in Olympic Sports, the B1G would be tough because you would have to lose 6, for sure Indiana, Rutgers could be on that list as well as Northwestern and maybe Purdue, but then you start talking about teams like Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota or Maryland. I don't see it happening. I think this is 100% a money grab to get the Los Angeles market by getting USC and UCLA. The B1G is 16 team conference and I think they would stay there unless they look to add a few more western schools and drop a couple of dead weight teams.

5. Default Re: conference realignment again????

…..If BYU goes to PACing can UL get to big12?

Given the thread earlier this week regarding the move to require more sports programs to remain D-1, the long ago idea of four 16 team conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 10, survivor of the PAC 12 and Big 12) and Notre Dame being the ultimate goal is seeming more realistic each passing day.

7. Default Re: conference realignment again????

Now would this make sense? I could see something like this happening......

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Given the thread earlier this week regarding the move to require more sports programs to remain D-1, the long ago idea of four 16 team conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 10, survivor of the PAC 12 and Big 12) and Notre Dame being the ultimate goal is seeming more realistic each passing day.
    At this rate, it is SEC and Big 10 and everyone else. I could see them growing to 20 team conferences, if they so choose. Clemson, Florida State and Miami FL all have to be concerned in the ACC and all teams in Pac 12, but especially Oregon.

Side note, now Lincoln Riley has to beat Ohio State year end and year out, but still easier than proposed SEC West.

Now would this make sense? I could see something like this happening......

That Orlando to Pullman travel going to be fun in the Big Pac.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    That Orlando to Pullman travel going to be fun in the Big Pac.
    So the 8 newbees would be UCF, BYU, San Diego State, TCU, Houston, Fresno, Cincinnati and Boise State (all in the PAC). Crack is an amazing drug...

La tech to PAC 12 the next no brainer in Ruston.

Big 10 should go for the knock out punch of Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and notre dame

According to the radio it is going to happen USC and UCLA are moving conferences. Rich Eisen show said it is a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …..If BYU goes to PACing can UL get to big12?
    Why? Eventually it will be 30 to 40 programs reclassifying and the rest of us will all end up in the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Why? Eventually it will be 30 to 40 programs reclassifying and the rest of us will all end up in the same place.
    Exactly. It's time to sit back, pop open a cold one, and grab a bag of popcorn. When the dust settles, then we will see if there is something to be concerned about. There is nothing proactive at this time we can do, other than Cajun Field. Be ready.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information