Thread: D-1 College Basketball Transfer Portal

1. UL Basketball D-1 College Basketball Transfer Portal

This is out of hand. Check out this website, great information about transfers to and from each school. But their are 358 D-1 Men's College basketball teams, if each team carries 14 players (that is what the Cajuns have and mostly the average for most teams) that means their are roughly 5012 men's D-1 players, this list is over 1450 players in the transfer portal. Meaning about 30% of last years players are in the portal. That does not include guys who graduated or finished their eligibility. These numbers are astonishing.

https://watchstadium.com/every-playe...al-04-21-2022/

Cajuns are showing 4 players who are transferring out: Theo Akuwba to Ole Miss, Ty Harper to Eastern Washington and Trajan Wesley and Antwann Jones who, according to this list have not found homes as of yet.

Default Re: D-1 College Basketball Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    This is out of hand. Check out this website, great information about transfers to and from each school. But their are 358 D-1 Men's College basketball teams, if each team carries 14 players (that is what the Cajuns have and mostly the average for most teams) that means their are roughly 5012 men's D-1 players, this list is over 1450 players in the transfer portal. Meaning about 30% of last years players are in the portal. That does not include guys who graduated or finished their eligibility. These numbers are astonishing.

Cajuns are showing 4 players who are transferring out: Theo Akuwba to Ole Miss, Ty Harper to Eastern Washington and Trajan Wesley and Antwann Jones who, according to this list have not found homes as of yet.
    Wow, thats insane. It looks like half the teams in the country have about half of last year’s roster in the portal. And more than a handful have as many as TEN!

It gives a bit of a different perspective of players leaving the Cajuns.

St. Peter’s made it to the Elite 8 and they have NINE guys in the transfer portal. Thats a bit sad.

3. Default Re: D-1 College Basketball Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Wow, thats insane. It looks like half the teams in the country have about half of last year’s roster in the portal. And more than a handful have as many as TEN!

St. Peter’s made it to the Elite 8 and they have NINE guys in the transfer portal. Thats a bit sad.
    That St. Peter's group is stout, they are looking at around 60 ppg and those players are ending up at schools that I am surprised about. Seton Hall is the best of the bunch, but the list includes La Salle, Bryant, Metro State, Missouri State and St. Bonaventure.

Check out Coastal, they have 11 players in the portal, granted only 3 of them were significant contributors, but still. They have one going to BYU, one going to South Carolina and one going to ETSU that make up about 36 points per game. Arkansas State is losing 2 of their top players including SBC player of the year Omir and Desi Stills. They make up close to 30 points per game.

St. Peter's coach went to Seton Hall.

I usually track the portal using Verbal Commits and they actually have 1,715 players listed. Trajan Wesley actually announced he was going the Prairie View A&M back in April but none of the websites picked up on it. Not sure on Jones, Verbal Commits doesn't even have him listed.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

Theo Awkuba was able to secure an NIL deal at Ole Miss which was a factor of his moving on. As he did earn a UL degree, I wish him well in Oxford. Trajan Wesley is going to Prairie View. Jones is likely done with college basketball due to his academic issues. He left the team last December once the fall semester ended. Dave’s point of the transfer portal being a factor throughout college basketball is valid. Sad thing is many of these kids will never find a new home.

MIke, do you have any idea of the amount of Awkuba's NIL deal or who it is with?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

Unfortunately, this is also an issue concerning football. There are only so many scholarships available and many of these athletes have received bad information from advisors or family members. Of course there are some that were released and told they are no longer in the plans going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Theo Awkuba was able to secure an NIL deal at Ole Miss which was a factor of his moving on. As he did earn a UL degree, I wish him well in Oxford. Trajan Wesley is going to Prairie View. Jones is likely done with college basketball due to his academic issues. He left the team last December once the fall semester ended. Dave’s point of the transfer portal being a factor throughout college basketball is valid. Sad thing is many of these kids will never find a new home.
    I am hopeful the players will see that many of the portal players wind up out of basketball and the numbers will subsequently drop drastically.

Hopefullly.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I am hopeful the players will see that many of the portal players wind up out of basketball and the numbers will subsequently drop drastically.

Hopefullly.
    Hopefully is right. But it’s doubtful. Most athletes think they are much better than they actually are, and subsequently don’t think that would happen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    MIke, do you have any idea of the amount of Awkuba's NIL deal or who it is with?
    I have a general idea of how much Theo's NIL deal at Ole Miss is worth. However, I don't feel comfortable sharing that information. Maybe that is because in my professional career, my company emphasized compensation is something kept confidential. I don't know which company it was with.

Jones was already on his 3rd school with us. At a certain point, there becomes a common denominator.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I have a general idea of how much Theo's NIL deal at Ole Miss is worth. However, I don't feel comfortable sharing that information. Maybe that is because in my professional career, my company emphasized compensation is something kept confidential. I don't know which company it was with.
    Should be that way with any company.

Thread Information