Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ODU Football Season Tickets

Default Re: OT: ODU Football Season Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Its easy to blame the fans and community when was the last time we had a quality out of conference opponent at CF I'll quess Boise at 11 am 90+ degrees and we got skull drug.
    The next time I walk into Cajun field because of who the opponent is will be the first time. If your reason for not supporting your school is because of the OOC schedule then you are finding excuses not to support them. We have at least one G5 school like us come in every year and many times a FCS with local appeal that have actually been good crowds.

2. Default Re: OT: ODU Football Season Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    The next time I walk into Cajun field because of who the opponent is will be the first time. If your reason for not supporting your school is because of the OOC schedule then you are finding excuses not to support them. We have at least one G5 school like us come in every year and many times a FCS with local appeal that have actually been good crowds.
    100%. I have seen us play MVSU or Delta State in baseball back in the 80's. I have seen us play countless horrible teams in basketball, I have seen us play MAC and FCS teams in football that I don't care about. I don't care who is on the schedule, I will go to see the Cajuns, it should never be about the opponent, it should be about us. Granted playing a team with a recognizable name may draw in the casual fan, but at the end of the day that is a one day pickup in attendance. You can't play 6 home games vs opponents that are going to draw the casual fan in football, 26 games that will do the same in baseball and softball and 15 that will do the same in basketball. What you can do is try to build the best schedule possible with the cards you are dealt and your fan base needs to get out and support them whether it is MVSU or Alabama coming to Lafayette. We have built a really nice conference with 6 quality SBC west rivals. USM, USA, Troy, Arkansas State, Texas State and even ULM should give us a better boost then the original SBC conference, when you add to that Georgia Southern, App State, Coastal and Marshall and to some extent even Ga State, ODU, JMU we have quality opponents up and down the schedule. You need to fill in where you can. Baseball and Softball have done a really good job of getting quality regional teams here as well as Football has a plan on their schedule, 1 P5 road game, 1 G5 Road Game, 1 G5 home game and one FCS opponent. Basketball has done what they can, but it is a challenge to get quality opponents to come to Lafayette to play us, similar to every other G5 team. Even those that get some P5 opponents to come to their place it is usually 1 quality game sandwiched between playing tons of mediocre to less than mediocre teams.

If I were the SBC commissioner I would do this in Basketball. We have to set up a conference partnership in both men's and women's basketball. Meaning at least so many games per season need to be set up with peer conferences, whether that be CUSA, Southern Conference, Colonial Athletic, Missouri Valley or AAC and if the number is 2 or 4, then half of them have to be at the other teams home. Meaning lets say we set up a deal with the Southern Conference for the East and the CUSA for the West. Teams like Chattanooga, Furman, Samford, Wofford, UNCG, VMI, Mercer ETSU, Citadel and Western Carolina would play our teams in the East in some sort of home and home games. You could take Georgia State vs Chattanooga, that would have been a good matchup, if that is a home game for Georgia State, then they must go on the road to play Wofford. And vise versa for the West. Rice, UTEP, Tech, NMSU, Sam Houston, etc.

I don't have all the details but it appears our conference has done a great job scheduling football and baseball, but it lacks in basketball. Partnering up with a peer conference would help. The other option is to get into as many exempt multi team events and also limiting the number of non D-1 opponents that a team can play each season. It is rare that you are going to get a SBC team to get a major college to come to you, but if you work out deals with peer conferences you can get them to come, specifically home and home matchups or Conference vs Conference matchups since many teams are in the same boat as us. ODU is in a great MTE event this season with Charleston, Colorado State, Davidson, Furman, ODU, Penn State, South Carolina and VT. Troy is in one with Merrimack, Montana and St. Thomas (reclassifying this year), not a great one. Georgia State is in one with EKU, UNC Ashville and Texas A&M commerce (reclassifying). Georgia Southern is got one with Houston Baptist, Rice and WMU. USM is matched up with EMU, Winthrop and Purdue Ft Wayne. ULM has one with Southern, Loyola MD and Omaha. And the SBC has tons of others. We traditionally play one, not sure if we are doing one this year or not.

Their are lots of ways to bring better teams here but at the end of the day it should not be about the teams that are coming it should be about the team that is already here.

3. Default Re: OT: ODU Football Season Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Lafayette absolutely sucks when it comes to supporting the Cajuns. It’s embarrassing.
    You’re correct that this town doesn’t support the way it should. But let me remind you, this is an athletic department that purposely killed it’s relationship with the community for 30-40 years.

Yes, we’ve improved and committed recently, but the expectation has been set. To bring things current, look at the absolutely atrocious effort that’s going on right now by the athletic admin and RCAF. Where the hell are they? A football team with the nation’s longest winning streak and I’ll be shocked if we sell 8k season tickets. Where is the outreach? Where is the ticket drives, commercials, paper ads, radio push, person to person outreach? Where are they community gatherings, regional watch parties, alumni functions, out of town chapter meet & greets, fundraisers (outside of the stadium reno) and socials?

Look, I get that it’s summer and it’s the offseason. But we’ve failed to capitalize on the best 2 year stretch in history if we can gin up interest in 2022, and that’s just a fact.

Default Re: ODU Football Season Tickets

We have lost 2 games in 2 years and can’t get 5k season tickets sold. Disgraceful

Mike Scarbourgh of Tiger Bait.com bashes our University publicly every chance he gets. I have heard him on Baton Rouge Radio over the years. In particular the Buddy Songy show. Mike is a Sigma Nu at then USL. Buddy is also USL alum. 2 guys that loves taking shots at their own university on the BR air waves.
    Yeah 2 more losers. Pretty sure mike posts on here as RRman

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    100%. I have seen us play MVSU or Delta State in baseball back in the 80's. I have seen us play countless horrible teams in basketball, I have seen us play MAC and FCS teams in football that I don't care about. I don't care who is on the schedule, I will go to see the Cajuns, it should never be about the opponent, it should be about us. Granted playing a team with a recognizable name may draw in the casual fan, but at the end of the day that is a one day pickup in attendance. You can't play 6 home games vs opponents that are going to draw the casual fan in football, 26 games that will do the same in baseball and softball and 15 that will do the same in basketball. What you can do is try to build the best schedule possible with the cards you are dealt and your fan base needs to get out and support them whether it is MVSU or Alabama coming to Lafayette. We have built a really nice conference with 6 quality SBC west rivals. USM, USA, Troy, Arkansas State, Texas State and even ULM should give us a better boost then the original SBC conference, when you add to that Georgia Southern, App State, Coastal and Marshall and to some extent even Ga State, ODU, JMU we have quality opponents up and down the schedule. You need to fill in where you can. Baseball and Softball have done a really good job of getting quality regional teams here as well as Football has a plan on their schedule, 1 P5 road game, 1 G5 Road Game, 1 G5 home game and one FCS opponent. Basketball has done what they can, but it is a challenge to get quality opponents to come to Lafayette to play us, similar to every other G5 team. Even those that get some P5 opponents to come to their place it is usually 1 quality game sandwiched between playing tons of mediocre to less than mediocre teams.

If I were the SBC commissioner I would do this in Basketball. We have to set up a conference partnership in both men's and women's basketball. Meaning at least so many games per season need to be set up with peer conferences, whether that be CUSA, Southern Conference, Colonial Athletic, Missouri Valley or AAC and if the number is 2 or 4, then half of them have to be at the other teams home. Meaning lets say we set up a deal with the Southern Conference for the East and the CUSA for the West. Teams like Chattanooga, Furman, Samford, Wofford, UNCG, VMI, Mercer ETSU, Citadel and Western Carolina would play our teams in the East in some sort of home and home games. You could take Georgia State vs Chattanooga, that would have been a good matchup, if that is a home game for Georgia State, then they must go on the road to play Wofford. And vise versa for the West. Rice, UTEP, Tech, NMSU, Sam Houston, etc.

I don't have all the details but it appears our conference has done a great job scheduling football and baseball, but it lacks in basketball. Partnering up with a peer conference would help. The other option is to get into as many exempt multi team events and also limiting the number of non D-1 opponents that a team can play each season. It is rare that you are going to get a SBC team to get a major college to come to you, but if you work out deals with peer conferences you can get them to come, specifically home and home matchups or Conference vs Conference matchups since many teams are in the same boat as us. ODU is in a great MTE event this season with Charleston, Colorado State, Davidson, Furman, ODU, Penn State, South Carolina and VT. Troy is in one with Merrimack, Montana and St. Thomas (reclassifying this year), not a great one. Georgia State is in one with EKU, UNC Ashville and Texas A&M commerce (reclassifying). Georgia Southern is got one with Houston Baptist, Rice and WMU. USM is matched up with EMU, Winthrop and Purdue Ft Wayne. ULM has one with Southern, Loyola MD and Omaha. And the SBC has tons of others. We traditionally play one, not sure if we are doing one this year or not.

Their are lots of ways to bring better teams here but at the end of the day it should not be about the teams that are coming it should be about the team that is already here.
    Great post, Dave! 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Your fraternity brother is a loser
    And a liar.

I’d assume he doesn’t have a LinkedIn page, or he lies on it. First thing I do when someone contacts me on a business or professional front is look them up on LinkedIn to learn their background.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    And a liar.

I’d assume he doesn’t have a LinkedIn page, or he lies on it. First thing I do when someone contacts me on a business or professional front is look them up on LinkedIn to learn their background.
    I’ve never seen the guys resume but I would not be surprised if he puts LSUAMBR on his resume.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You’re correct that this town doesn’t support the way it should. But let me remind you, this is an athletic department that purposely killed it’s relationship with the community for 30-40 years.

Yes, we’ve improved and committed recently, but the expectation has been set. To bring things current, look at the absolutely atrocious effort that’s going on right now by the athletic admin and RCAF. Where the hell are they? A football team with the nation’s longest winning streak and I’ll be shocked if we sell 8k season tickets. Where is the outreach? Where is the ticket drives, commercials, paper ads, radio push, person to person outreach? Where are they community gatherings, regional watch parties, alumni functions, out of town chapter meet & greets, fundraisers (outside of the stadium reno) and socials?

Look, I get that it’s summer and it’s the offseason. But we’ve failed to capitalize on the best 2 year stretch in history if we can gin up interest in 2022, and that’s just a fact.
    Someone call me?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Default Re: OT: ODU Football Season Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

You are correct to the bone. We have a big game in Houston with Rice this season. Where is the Alumni Idiot Association and RCAF people on getting thing set up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    You are correct to the bone. We have a big game in Houston with Rice this season. Where is the Alumni Idiot Association and RCAF people on getting thing set up here?
    This is nothing new as you know, because they operate as separate entities when it comes to these types of events. But, I hear there is a great bus charter lined up for the Rice game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    This is nothing new as you know, because they operate as separate entities when it comes to these types of events. But, I hear there is a great bus charter lined up for the Rice game.
    Houston is a place I would like to drive to and stay the night. Monroe is a place I hope they charter busses to so I can let them do the driving and get in and out as quickly as possible.

Very true and accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    Agree. There are so many people that I know personally, that I sat next to in the stands as students, in the late 80s and early 90s, once they graduated, got a job, and a little money they became A&M at BR season ticket holders and TAF members. Heck one of my fraternity brothers goes as far as, calling on people in Houston, and telling them he went to La St at BR, and he never stepped foot in a classroom there. I just don’t get the lack of loyalty to the school you graduated from. I’ll never understand that mentality.
    He sounds like some one I know. Did he used to call the Mr. Bitter show and go by the name RC?

Default Re: ODU Football Season Tickets

I used to get really upset about attendance. I still do to a certain extent. Especially when we used to hang our hat on getting around 30k for Sun Belt games when no one else was. Then you had record after record broken for NOLA bowls.

However, I'm happy I'm not in the administration because it would keep me up at night. We're average in football attendance at best and this should be the era of Louisiana football when you've had your highest average attendance (sans the covid year.)

I don't know what the hell the deal is or why the community isn't going nuts for this program with as trendy as Lafayette is and the amount of band wagon fans in the state that will cling to any winner.

In any event, I'll keep making my donation, keep buying tickets, wearing the gear, supporting businesses that back UL, and spreading the word about the university I love. That's all I have to do as an alum and fan. Job done.

Getting 31k for the championship game felt good. Hopefully ticket sales pick up and we keep this train going.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information