Thread: Arch Manning to

Default Re: Arch Manning to

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Is that Rickie Weeks Jr?
    Lol. No. That’s a brain cramp. His name is Rickie Collins

Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I’ve seen Arch Manning play in person twice over the last two years. And two other times on TV.

I’m by no means saying he’s not a talented kid, but I will say that if his last name was Smith or Jones and not Manning, he wouldn’t be anywhere close to rated as high as he is. He’s the #1 overall recruit in the country for the class of 2023, and I’m not sure he’s in the top 2 QBs in the Louisiana class of 2023. Alabama commit Eli Holstein (Zachary) and Purdue commit Rickie Weeks (Woodlawn-BR) are better players in my opinion.

I hope for the best for Manning, but the hype that he’s had has been completely unfair. But again, with that last name, the good comes with the bad.
    I usually don't judge players off of 1 or 2 games, but if you are suggesting pedigree and family name helps a prospect rating, of course. Having a father, or family member that played professionally is an advantage because the child has been around the game all their life. With Arch Manning, it's not just about his physical attributes, but what is between his hears and what he has learned and continues to learn from his father, grandfather and two uncles. Manning may not have as good as physical attributes as Weeks and Holstein, but neither of them have been have had the advantage of being, coached, groomed and taught by three former NFL QBs, including two HOFs. His uncles weren't the most physically gifted players either, but they were certainly more celebral when it came to playing QB.

Dion Sanders, Barry Sanders and Ed McCaffery all have sons there were 4 star or 5 star recruits. There names helped them as well. None of their son's outside of Christian McCaffery will be, or were great college players. I would say the Mannings have a better track record when it comes to genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I like it.

Another manning that will never win a college championship.
    I’m sure he will work as hard as he can to win a CFB Championship, but I’m also sure he is more interested in having a good college experience and doing all he can to be prepared to win Super Bowls at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I usually don't judge players off of 1 or 2 games, but if you are suggesting pedigree and family name helps a prospect rating, of course. Having a father, or family member that played professionally is an advantage because the child has been around the game all their life. With Arch Manning, it's not just about his physical attributes, but what is between his hears and what he has learned and continues to learn from his father, grandfather and two uncles. Manning may not have as good as physical attributes as Weeks and Holstein, but neither of them have been have had the advantage of being, coached, groomed and taught by three former NFL QBs, including two HOFs. His uncles weren't the most physically gifted players either, but they were certainly more celebral when it came to playing QB.

Dion Sanders, Barry Sanders and Ed McCaffery all have sons there were 4 star or 5 star recruits. There names helped them as well. None of their son's outside of Christian McCaffery will be, or were great college players. I would say the Mannings have a better track record when it comes to genetics.
    I don’t disagree with anything you said. My point was that if his name wasn’t Manning he wouldn’t be ranked as THE #1 recruit in the country.

And that he’s not as good a player right now as two other QBs in the state.

Maybe he will become a better professional player some day than the other two, or a number of other high school QBs around the country. But there have been plenty of sons of NFL stars that were hyped up (as you mentioned) that didn’t have great careers. A perfect example is a guy who also played at Texas, Chris Simms. I’m sure he received pretty good coaching growing up.

And he was an average QB in college, and had a few years as a backup in the NFL.

I hope Arch Manning goes on to be a HOF QB but that doesn’t change my opinion that he’s ranked where he is because of his last name.

And it’s not his fault at all. He’s done, and is doing, everything right and trying to be as normal a kid as possible. I wish him the best of luck.

I don’t disagree with anything you said. My point was that if his name wasn’t Manning he wouldn’t be ranked as THE #1 recruit in the country.

And that he’s not as good a player right now as two other QBs in the state.

Maybe he will become a better professional player some day than the other two, or a number of other high school QBs around the country. But there have been plenty of sons of NFL stars that were hyped up (as you mentioned) that didn’t have great careers. A perfect example is a guy who also played at Texas, Chris Simms. I’m sure he received pretty good coaching growing up.

And he was an average QB in college, and had a few years as a backup in the NFL.

I hope Arch Manning goes on to be a HOF QB but that doesn’t change my opinion that he’s ranked where he is because of his last name.

And it’s not his fault at all. He’s done, and is doing, everything right and trying to be as normal a kid as possible. I wish him the best of luck.
    I don't disagree with your points here, because we all know rankings are subjective. I'm not sure who are the top QBs in the 2023 Class because I have not seen most of them play. I do know that from what I've seen of Manning, he belongs in the conversation. And, if you give him the rosters that STM, or Lafayette Christian had last season, he would be probably perform even better. All rosters are not created equal. Isador Newman doesn't have the talent or depth of either program.

Just a question, but how did you view Howard at STM? My opinion of him was similar to yours on Manning. I think he is talented, but I certainly didn't see him as a top 5 talent in the country.

I don't disagree with your points here, because we all know rankings are subjective. I'm not sure who are the top QBs in the 2023 Class because I have not seen most of them play. I do know that from what I've seen of Manning, he belongs in the conversation. And, if you give him the rosters that STM, or Lafayette Christian had last season, he would be probably perform even better. All rosters are not created equal. Isador Newman doesn't have the talent or depth of either program.

Just a question, but how did you view Howard at STM? My opinion of him was similar to yours on Manning. I think he is talented, but I certainly didn't see him as a top 5 talent in the country.
    I think Howard is right there with them as far as a college prospect goes. However, I think all of the 2023 kids (Manning, Holstein, Collins) have more potential to play professionally. And that’s simply due to their superior size over Howard.

As far as Newman not having talent, they had an OL sign with LSU last year, a current one that has offers from LSU and Alabama, a TE thats a Texas commit, and a wide out with multiple P5 offers. And the previous season, another WR that was an LSU commit prior to being kicked out of school at Newman and having his offer pulled due to a sexual assault allegation.

I’m not sure many other HS QBs in the state have that much around them, yet the 3 times Ive seen Newman play good teams (LCA twice and Berkeley Prep out of Florida) they have gotten completely dominated…and Manning was very pedestrian. This past season against LCA he was 6-17 for 49 yards and an interception. And he wasn’t much better the previous season, nor in the Berkeley Prep game.

I think Howard is right there with them as far as a college prospect goes. However, I think all of the 2023 kids (Manning, Holstein, Collins) have more potential to play professionally. And that’s simply due to their superior size over Howard.

As far as Newman not having talent, they had an OL sign with LSU last year, a current one that has offers from LSU and Alabama, a TE thats a Texas commit, and a wide out with multiple P5 offers. And the previous season, another WR that was an LSU commit prior to being kicked out of school at Newman and having his offer pulled due to a sexual assault allegation.

I’m not sure many other HS QBs in the state have that much around them, yet the 3 times Ive seen Newman play good teams (LCA twice and Berkeley Prep out of Florida) they have gotten completely dominated…and Manning was very pedestrian. This past season against LCA he was 6-17 for 49 yards and an interception. And he wasn’t much better the previous season, nor in the Berkeley Prep game.
    I've watched STM and LCA in a number of games. Trev Faulk is a personal friend of mine, but both rosters are deeper and more athletic than Newman. Bordelon is a quality lineman, of course his father is a former LSU and Saint. The TE is solid, but I view him as a package deal since he committed to Texas before Manning. But we are talking about a hand full of FBS prospects including Manning. LCA over the past 3 years had a number of FBS prospects. STM's program fluctuates, but they always have talented underclassmen. The 3 rosters are not comparable in talent. JMO

Overall talent on the roster, yes, I agree. Newman had nothing on defense. But there aren’t many HS teams that have P5 recruits at both WR spots, TE, and 2 on the OL. Thats what Manning had around him.

And I respectfully disagree about the TE Will Randle. I thought he was the most impressive kid on their team by quite a bit.

And I don’t think Texas just took him for a chance at Manning. Randle’s offer list:

LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan State, Purdue, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami (FL), Georgia Tech, Virginia, Texas, Tulane, SMU

9. Default Re: Arch Manning to

With the national overARCHing recruiting publicity, there will surely be a coattail effect

10. Default Re: Arch Manning to

Howard will be the best out of all the QB’s discussed, write it down.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I think Texas will be a great place for Arch. It's a good choice for him to succeed and make his own legacy. It's going to be exciting to watch his college career and I think he will be great there.
    You're assuming this guy will be as great as billed. From what I've seen of him first hand. he's nothing exceptional. If he wasn't a Manning, there wouldn't be all the hoopla that's being blown out of proportion over him.

Overall talent on the roster, yes, I agree. Newman had nothing on defense. But there aren’t many HS teams that have P5 recruits at both WR spots, TE, and 2 on the OL. Thats what Manning had around him.

And I respectfully disagree about the TE Will Randle. I thought he was the most impressive kid on their team by quite a bit.

And I don’t think Texas just took him for a chance at Manning. Randle’s offer list:

LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan State, Purdue, Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami (FL), Georgia Tech, Virginia, Texas, Tulane, SMU
    Randle was the best player on their team by far.

13. Default Re: Arch Manning to

A couple of things to remember, many pundits believed that Cooper Manning may have been the most talented athlete of the three Archie sons. Arch has all of the measurables to be special, 6'4" 215 lbs with the potential to add another 10-15 lbs according to many recruiting analysts. Many people who have spent time recruiting college athletes have said that Arch is way ahead of where both Peyton and Eli were at this point in their careers.

I know it was Isadore Newman, but his numbers jump off the page. Between 2019 and 2021 he completed 488 of 743 passes, just about 66% of his passes for 6307 yards, which is over 2000 yards a season. He threw for 81 TD's while only throwing 17 INT's. The other thing that was impressive with Arch is the fact that he was able to run as well, something neither of his uncles were proficient at. Arch had 91 carries for 742 yards and 19 TD's in his HS career over those three seasons.

I don't know if Arch will end up being as good as either Peyton or Eli, but I will tell you this, the pedigree is pretty special. Schools with the names of Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and USC don't come recruiting you just because your name ends with MANNING. You have to have the talent to back it up. Arch does, whether or not he will be the first QB taken in the draft a few years from now is yet to be seen. But I will tell you this, everyone of the teams that recruited Arch did it because of what he has done on the field and what success each of his family members has done, including Cooper in HS/College, Archie at every level and Peyton and Eli at every level.

I would rather take a chance on a kid with that kind of background then a kid like Tate Martell or Ryan Perriloux or Mitch Mustain or Ben Olson, or I could continue to go down the list of guys who were homerun recruits in HS that busted in college.

By the way, keep an eye on Heid Manning, class of 2024 a OL at Newman right now. I believe he will either have to move to TE or bulk up if he wants to play at the next level but he does have a pretty good frame to work with only being a Sophomore at 6'0 and 225. His brother is 6'4" and his dad is also 6'4". I would assume Heid will continue to grow and at 6'4" 235-250 could be a pretty solid TE prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    A couple of things to remember, many pundits believed that Cooper Manning may have been the most talented athlete of the three Archie sons. Arch has all of the measurables to be special, 6'4" 215 lbs with the potential to add another 10-15 lbs according to many recruiting analysts. Many people who have spent time recruiting college athletes have said that Arch is way ahead of where both Peyton and Eli were at this point in their careers.

I know it was Isadore Newman, but his numbers jump off the page. Between 2019 and 2021 he completed 488 of 743 passes, just about 66% of his passes for 6307 yards, which is over 2000 yards a season. He threw for 81 TD's while only throwing 17 INT's. The other thing that was impressive with Arch is the fact that he was able to run as well, something neither of his uncles were proficient at. Arch had 91 carries for 742 yards and 19 TD's in his HS career over those three seasons.

I don't know if Arch will end up being as good as either Peyton or Eli, but I will tell you this, the pedigree is pretty special. Schools with the names of Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and USC don't come recruiting you just because your name ends with MANNING. You have to have the talent to back it up. Arch does, whether or not he will be the first QB taken in the draft a few years from now is yet to be seen. But I will tell you this, everyone of the teams that recruited Arch did it because of what he has done on the field and what success each of his family members has done, including Cooper in HS/College, Archie at every level and Peyton and Eli at every level.

I would rather take a chance on a kid with that kind of background then a kid like Tate Martell or Ryan Perriloux or Mitch Mustain or Ben Olson, or I could continue to go down the list of guys who were homerun recruits in HS that busted in college.

By the way, keep an eye on Heid Manning, class of 2024 a OL at Newman right now. I believe he will either have to move to TE or bulk up if he wants to play at the next level but he does have a pretty good frame to work with only being a Sophomore at 6'0 and 225. His brother is 6'4" and his dad is also 6'4". I would assume Heid will continue to grow and at 6'4" 235-250 could be a pretty solid TE prospect.
    Good break down of Arch Manning Dave. Let me add one more caveat to the conversation, and this applies to any young QB prospect that comes with such high expectations. Whether we are talking about Arch Manning, Walker Howard, or others that came before them like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, the talent that is recruited around them has a direct correlation on their success in any system. Texas needs to have a really good recruiting class this year, and the next few years to build quality roster around him. Young and Stroud both have had and continue to have top talent around them.

15. Default Re: Arch Manning to

Good break down of Arch Manning Dave. Let me add one more caveat to the conversation, and this applies to any young QB prospect that comes with such high expectations. Whether we are talking about Arch Manning, Walker Howard, or others that came before them like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, the talent that is recruited around them has a direct correlation on their success in any system. Texas needs to have a really good recruiting class this year, and the next few years to build quality roster around him. Young and Stroud both have had and continue to have top talent around them.
    That is a fact jack!!!! It doesn't matter how talented you are, if you are playing with subpar talent vs top level talent (which at this point Texas will be fighting an uphill battle in the SEC) it will be tough, no doubt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information