Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

1. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The prudent thing to do would be to form an exploritory committee.

Who knows a philanthropic desperate soccer fan might live right here in Acadiana.
    There are some 140,000 Louisiana residents of Hispanic decent, I can't find how many are recent immigrants.

Who knows the exploritory committee may find that Louisiana Men's Soccer already has a Futbol hungry audience just waiting for a product.

Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Speaking of Hispanics, my son played in his middle school playoff game at Moore Park last month. After his game was over he wanted to stick around and watch the girls team from his school. As that game was going on about 30-35 Hispanic soccer players begin to trickle onto the adjacent field dressed in full uniform. As they were warming up, they had multiple players doing soccer tricks that I had never seen before along with trapping the ball on a dime at will from 50+ yards. There was one group of 5 players that I watched for over 10 minutes as they were in a circle juggling the ball doing every trick I’ve ever learned along with a few others with ease. They all touched the ball over 100 times without it touching the ground numerous times. I was very, very impressed! After the girls game finished my son asked if these guys were going to play a game. I wasn’t sure but had assumed so. After shagging a couple balls he asked one of the players and he said they would be starting in a few minutes. Before we could make it to a very small set of bleachers, this referee pops onto the field and they begin. My son was so excited. I was too. I even sent a video to my wife. We watched for about 20 minutes and walked away very impressed. The players seemed to be early twenties to mid 40’s. They all had great footwork, quickness, and skill.

I’ve been involved with soccer for over 30 years, played select on the Atlantic coast and Michigan before completing my high school career in Louisiana. I’ve also done a couple stints in an adult league, and now coach both my son and daughter teams - over 7 years and still counting.

I don’t know when these guys play or if possibly some were in college, but I’d definitely pay money to watch a few of their games.

Eventually Soccer television rights will dwarf what P5 football gets today.

Time to establish a foothold.
    Turbine,
    If that ever happens, everyone posting on this site now will be dead and gone long before then!

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    Speaking of Hispanics, my son played in his middle school playoff game at Moore Park last month. After his game was over he wanted to stick around and watch the girls team from his school. As that game was going on about 30-35 Hispanic soccer players begin to trickle onto the adjacent field dressed in full uniform. As they were warming up, they had multiple players doing soccer tricks that I had never seen before along with trapping the ball on a dime at will from 50+ yards. There was one group of 5 players that I watched for over 10 minutes as they were in a circle juggling the ball doing every trick I’ve ever learned along with a few others with ease. They all touched the ball over 100 times without it touching the ground numerous times. I was very, very impressed! After the girls game finished my son asked if these guys were going to play a game. I wasn’t sure but had assumed so. After shagging a couple balls he asked one of the players and he said they would be starting in a few minutes. Before we could make it to a very small set of bleachers, this referee pops onto the field and they begin. My son was so excited. I was too. I even sent a video to my wife. We watched for about 20 minutes and walked away very impressed. The players seemed to be early twenties to mid 40’s. They all had great footwork, quickness, and skill.

I’ve been involved with soccer for over 30 years, played select on the Atlantic coast and Michigan before completing my high school career in Louisiana. I’ve also done a couple stints in an adult league, and now coach both my son and daughter teams - over 7 years and still counting.

I don’t know when these guys play or if possibly some were in college, but I’d definitely pay money to watch a few of their games.
    They play at Acadiana Park every Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    They play at Acadiana Park every Sunday
    Cool, thanks! Do you know about what time? I may try to catch a game after a round of frisbee golf one day.

When? By 2095?

Or when a bunch of politicians outlaw American football?

7. UL Soccer Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

This is just silly posting . . .

Default Re: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

I am sold! Put it on the list of priorities!

Priority # 1 30 million more for the football stadium.
    Priority # 2 10 million for the baseball locker rooms.
    Priority # 10 Tear down the Cox building and build the Athletic Quad, 4 Million.
    Priority # 110 Raise 4 million to fund another women's sport for title 9 compliance (see priority # 111)
    Priority # 111 Start Men's Soccer with another cool 4 million.

A hundred million or so should get the ball rolling. Start those bake sales!

9. Default Re: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

LOL

Crawfish you are the best.

Seeing some speculation on csnbbs on new Div I requirements, one of which is the requirement to sponsor between 18-20 NCAA sponsored sports. If that's true, men's soccer is either in the cards or we're not staying in Div I.

Or maybe we start up swim sports and get Farmer back.

11. Default Re: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Seeing some speculation on csnbbs on new Div I requirements, one of which is the requirement to sponsor between 18-20 NCAA sponsored sports. If that's true, men's soccer is either in the cards or we're not staying in Div I.

Very interesting development..

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post

I think that would kill a majority of D1 programs right there.

If this happens and we manage to stay D1, whatever sports we sponsor will be whatever sports the teams around us sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    Cool, thanks! Do you know about what time? I may try to catch a game after a round of frisbee golf one day.
    They start showing up around 10ish. By the way, on the Friday or Saturday before, a cat goes and cuts the soccer field with a PUSH MOWER! There's usually a family set up under one of the pavilions serving various Latino food and goodies.

I play disc golf, and we've pretty much had to abandon playing there because they set up tents and such in the middle of the fairways.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I think that would kill a majority of D1 programs right there.

If this happens and we manage to stay D1, whatever sports we sponsor will be whatever sports the teams around us sponsor.
    Why would that kill a majority of D1 programs. To be in D1 now, it requires schools to sponsor 16 sports. 2-4 more is doable for most schools. ULM for example, current sponsors 17. UL currently sponsors 16. With women's golf and maybe Beach volleyball that would be 18. There also may be a couple of Olympic sports that could be added on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Why would that kill a majority of D1 programs. To be in D1 now, it requires schools to sponsor 16 sports. 2-4 more is doable for most schools. ULM for example, current sponsors 17. UL currently sponsors 16. With women's golf and maybe Beach volleyball that would be 18. There also may be a couple of Olympic sports that could be added on the cheap.
    I like your idea of adding two women's sports. It would put us ahead of the Title IX crurve and shouldn't be too expensive to run. Oh, and by the way, going o the beach and having a few beers isn't too shabby either!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information