Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 158

Thread: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

  1. #31

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Seems FAU figured the Herd out in the C-DOA Tournament. The SEC with all that money will probably one day do like they did with softball, get tired of losing to the “little guys” and invest.

    Enjoy the moment in the sun, really, enjoy it.

    Great attendance numbers, abet inflated with 3 biggies, the year after a NC. Closing out ‘21 with 3 losses including a one and done in the NCAAs and C-DOA Tournaments makes ‘22 attendance numbers something to watch.

    https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule/2021
    I like C-DOA, but I think C-UStA-b is better

  2. #32

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    Also the last thing the Sun Belt needs is 3-4 programs decide they want to sponsor men's soccer. It would go from the Sun Belt fighting the Big East for the 2nd best conference year in and year out and the ACC on occasion as the best conference to praying to hopefully get 2 in the NCAA. It would be like adding FIU, New Mexico State, UMass and UConn to Sun Belt football.
    I appreciate the insight, but a more apt analogy would be: It would be like adding Marshall to Sun Belt baseball. Sometimes you have to add a fledgling conference-mate to a sport in hopes of bringing them up to your level.

  3. #33

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Yeah, it is an opportunity to spend ungodly amounts of money that we don’t have on a sport that might draw 1,000 fans on a good night.

    I’m a huge soccer fan, but unless there’s someone willing to put up an 8 figure check to start the program, I think we need to accept that soccer is just not in the cards. And frankly, I’d rather see that 8 figure check go to football/baseball/basketball.
    Agree. If we have excess dollars, I want football and baseball getting that.

    We already have limited resources to pull from to try to continue keeping football on its current level of competitiveness. Don’t want to start watering that down.

  4. #34

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    If I am not mistaken if you add a mens sport you must do the same for the women so more money.


  5. #35

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    I'd rather put that money in football and diamond sports


  6. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Agree. If we have excess dollars, I want football and baseball getting that.

    We already have limited resources to pull from to try to continue keeping football on its current level of competitiveness. Don’t want to start watering that down.
    We’re not winning a national championship in football unless they change the way the playoff is formatted.

    There is a route to a Natty in soccer. See Marshall. At the end of the day, people will support a winner.

  7. #37

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    We not doing this. We can't afford what we do now.

    CajunVic

  8. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Seems FAU figured the Herd out in the C-DOA Tournament. The SEC with all that money will probably one day do like they did with softball, get tired of losing to the “little guys” and invest.

    Enjoy the moment in the sun, really, enjoy it.

    Great attendance numbers, abet inflated with 3 biggies, the year after a NC. Closing out ‘21 with 3 losses including a one and done in the NCAAs and C-DOA Tournaments makes ‘22 attendance numbers something to watch.

    https://herdzone.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule/2021
    Well season tickets are already "SOLD OUT" for men's soccer and that happened in less than 2 days after going on sale. Besides Kentucky, WVU and the occasional power like Akron, yes Akron is a power when talking about men's soccer (Akron was the 2010 National Champs and runners up in 1986, 2009, 2018) I expect that Coastal Carolina and JMU will bring larger than avg crowds.

    And tell me again, what is the last sport UL or when I took classes there in 95 and 96 USL (Lived in Broussard from 1995-2006) has fought for to win a nation championship in or even been ranked in the Top 10 (Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport). Marshall started the preseason and season ranked #1, fell out of that spot and got back to it only to be ranked #1 again and hold that spot for 11 weeks. Marshall has also not fallen out of the Top 25 since entering it in the seventh week of 2019. We are far from a flash in the pan now. Marshall finished 2019 ranked #11, 2020 #1, 2021 #16/#15.

    When I lived in Southern LA, USL to begin with was the laughing stock of not only the Sun Belt but Louisiana sports in general. Im guessing the 1996 Texas AM win is still one of ULs best and biggest wins, the only UL football game I attended while living there. And the only basketball game was 1996 also, had a vested interest in it though as it was a 71-61 loss to the Marshall Thundering Herd.

    I can be nice but I can also be just as snappy as you were if that is the way you like it.

  9. #39

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport.
    We've been in the Top 10 in softball and baseball. Just FYI

  10. #40

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport.
    And if you're talking about ANY sport, we've won a national title in water skiing.

  11. #41

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post

    And tell me again, what is the last sport UL or when I took classes there in 95 and 96 USL (Lived in Broussard from 1995-2006) has fought for to win a nation championship in or even been ranked in the Top 10 (Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport). Marshall started the preseason and season ranked #1, fell out of that spot and got back to it only to be ranked #1 again and hold that spot for 11 weeks. Marshall has also not fallen out of the Top 25 since entering it in the seventh week of 2019. We are far from a flash in the pan now. Marshall finished 2019 ranked #11, 2020 #1, 2021 #16/#15
    UL was ranked #1 in 2014 in baseball. Trust me, I'd love to have a men's soccer program, but that holds more weight to me than being ranked #1 in a sport not many schools sponsor.

  12. #42
    LouisianaB is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Get rid of Mens basketball.


  13. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Get rid of Mens basketball.
    I think they already did..

  14. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    .. tell me again, what is the last sport UL... has fought for to win a nation championship in or even been ranked in the Top 10...
    Some sports that had a greater impact on collegiate sports at the time, than men's soccer does today. Some lesser.

    UL has held the Collegiate National heavy weight belt in boxing.

    Multiple weightlifting national titles.

    Multiple trampoline national titles.

    Do 3 Miss America and Miss USA winners count?

    Multiple Water Ski National titles.

    National titles in Bass Fishing.

    #1 ranking in baseball at regular seasons end.

    Multiple Top-10 appearances in Softball and baseball.

    ps Not in my lifetime, but someday soccer will be bigger than football is today. Louisiana needs to find a way in TODAY, even if it waters down the Sunbelt.

  15. #45

    Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    Well season tickets are already "SOLD OUT" for men's soccer and that happened in less than 2 days after going on sale. Besides Kentucky, WVU and the occasional power like Akron, yes Akron is a power when talking about men's soccer (Akron was the 2010 National Champs and runners up in 1986, 2009, 2018) I expect that Coastal Carolina and JMU will bring larger than avg crowds.

    And tell me again, what is the last sport UL or when I took classes there in 95 and 96 USL (Lived in Broussard from 1995-2006) has fought for to win a nation championship in or even been ranked in the Top 10 (Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport). Marshall started the preseason and season ranked #1, fell out of that spot and got back to it only to be ranked #1 again and hold that spot for 11 weeks. Marshall has also not fallen out of the Top 25 since entering it in the seventh week of 2019. We are far from a flash in the pan now. Marshall finished 2019 ranked #11, 2020 #1, 2021 #16/#15.

    When I lived in Southern LA, USL to begin with was the laughing stock of not only the Sun Belt but Louisiana sports in general. Im guessing the 1996 Texas AM win is still one of ULs best and biggest wins, the only UL football game I attended while living there. And the only basketball game was 1996 also, had a vested interest in it though as it was a 71-61 loss to the Marshall Thundering Herd.

    I can be nice but I can also be just as snappy as you were if that is the way you like it.
    You’ve never seen a Cajuns athletic team in or close to Top 10 in any sport since 1996? You’re either ignorant, legit stupid or a troll.

    Since that year:

    Baseball had four SR appearances, meaning at least Top 16 those season. One of those a CWS appearance, so at least Top 8. In ‘14, where we lost out in the Super Regional, we were ranked #1 for part of the season.

    Softball has had eight SR appearances since ‘96 and three WCWS appearances. So eight seasons at least Top 16 and three in the Top 8 to finish.

    Football finished #16 in AP for 2020 and 2021, thought I guess since you’re an expert, maybe you can tell me if that is defined as competing for Top 10.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •