Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

1. UL Soccer UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

Well kind of....

2. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Missing a massive opportunity right now… SBC will be the equivalent of a P5 in soccer..

Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Missing a massive opportunity right now… SBC will be the equivalent of a P5 in soccer..
    Yep. Big miss. Damn shame.

Not equivalent. It will be a major conference.

We should be all over this. Missing a massive, Golden opportunity.

5. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Not equivalent. It will be a major conference.
    Major or P5 conference*

Typo

6. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

So I looked it up, UCF went 9-4-1 in men's soccer 2 years ago including losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament to #2 ranked Pittsburgh.

During that season, they beat JMU #17 in the NCAA tournament. SBC men's soccer is going to be pretty damn good.

Kentucky was #10 last year in RPI
    West Virginia was #13 last year in RPI
    Marshall was #20 last year in RPI
    Georgia State was #32 in RPI last year
    JMU was #63 last year in RPI
    Coastal was #70 last year in RPI
    Georgia Southern was 120 last year in RPI
    South Carolina was #150 last year in RPI
    ODU was #151 last year in RPI

That is 4 in the top 32 and 6 in the top 70. For reference their are 208 Men's college soccer teams.

I would love to have a men's soccer program.

What men's program do we drop or what women's program(s) do we add and where does the money come from for the new offerings?

8. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

I think, and I repeat think, we would either have to add a women's program or cancel a men's program.

Women's Beach Volleyball would be great and add men's soccer. But we probably still need to add some women's scholarships based on those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I would love to have a men's soccer program.

What men's program do we drop or what women's program(s) do we add and where does the money come from for the new offerings?
    Seems to be the question that no one has an answer for at this point. Or, here is my donation to fund a soccer program and begin the movement. Maybe the ominous $125K donor can divert his money to the new soccer fund?

Given fuel and travel are increasing, I don’t see anyone adding non revenue sports.

11. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Given fuel and travel are increasing, I don’t see anyone adding non revenue sports.
    Women’s soccer Drew 2500 people twice last season. A team that hasn’t been very good over the course of its history.

Soccer is the fastest growing sport in America and it’s not particularly close. If you can break even in G5 softball that plays in a mediocre SBC, you can certainly break even playing in a top conference with a good men’s program. Soccer is also not nearly the albatross, budget wise, that football, baseball or MBB is.

And for people asking about donors.. I would definitely change my commitment to support men’s soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Seems to be the question that no one has an answer for at this point. Or, here is my donation to fund a soccer program and begin the movement. Maybe the ominous $125K donor can divert his money to the new soccer fund?
    And funding needs to increase for baseball and softball to keep up with increased scholarships and potentially additional paid coaches.

Yeah, it is an opportunity to spend ungodly amounts of money that we don’t have on a sport that might draw 1,000 fans on a good night.

I’m a huge soccer fan, but unless there’s someone willing to put up an 8 figure check to start the program, I think we need to accept that soccer is just not in the cards. And frankly, I’d rather see that 8 figure check go to football/baseball/basketball.

14. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Yeah, it is an opportunity to spend ungodly amounts of money that we don’t have on a sport that might draw 1,000 fans on a good night.

I’m a huge soccer fan, but unless there’s someone willing to put up an 8 figure check to start the program, I think we need to accept that soccer is just not in the cards. And frankly, I’d rather see that 8 figure check go to football/baseball/basketball.
    Most sports don’t draw 1k fans every night. In fact, maybe 3. Baseball / softball / football.

Women’s soccer Drew 2500 people twice last season. A team that hasn’t been very good over the course of its history.

Soccer is the fastest growing sport in America and it’s not particularly close. If you can break even in G5 softball that plays in a mediocre SBC, you can certainly break even playing in a top conference with a good men’s program. Soccer is also not nearly the albatross, budget wise, that football, baseball or MBB is.

And for people asking about donors.. I would definitely change my commitment to support men’s soccer.
    It may or may not be an albatross, but it is difficult to see it being break even from the beginning, and you will still have to add a non-breakeven women's sport or two to match what is spent.

There is little doubt in my mind that Dr Maggard would love to add men's soccer. Where does the money come from is the ultimate question.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information