Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

Default Re: Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

Didnt need the rent a friend program when i was in school. I had a VIP membership to The Pub and The Bulldog

Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    GDI here, don't care about these boohoo frat boy stories...they get kicked off campus because somehow pulling these initiation stunts on children somehow make you a man..

Besides, why would I want any part of an organization that would have me as a member...
    And accentuated with a Groucho Marx quote?

Outstanding.

Sure is a lot of opinions from people who never did what they speaking on, critic is never the man in the arena I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I guess you will have to educate everyone on what "the right way" is. Are you talking about hazing? Also, I never saw any infraction that was swept under the rug. If anything, there were always more eyes on the bigger fraternities. In case you didn't know, most of the bigger fraternities didn't really have good relationships with the Greek Deans and there was always a sense of them just wanting someone to screw up so they could throw the book at them.
    The right way is actually upholding the values their organization supposedly stands for. We all have them, but there are many that don’t put them into practice.

Of the two biggest chapters when I was on campus, one had the Greek Dean and the other literally had the President of the university, so I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    And accentuated with a Groucho Marx quote?

Outstanding.
    I'm a doctor...wheres the horse

6. Default Re: Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

I’m staying out of this as I am an alumni of said fraternity. I have some pretty good knowledge of what went on. All I will say is I understand the university’s position but it was way beyond excessive in how they handled this. This is more of a case of making an example of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I won't comment on this case, because I don't have the information to have an informed opinion. Hazing isn't allowed in the military either, but my son-in-law was just promoted this weekend after drills for the Marine Reserves and he isn't walking to well today.
    Blood striped him….nice!

Tell him congrats

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Didnt need the rent a friend program when i was in school. I had a VIP membership to The Pub and The Bulldog
    When I was in school 99% of the patronage in the pub were Greek. It was the Greek hang out. The bulldog wasn’t a hip thing yet. It was makos and the keg.

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Grow up. The point of a fraternity shouldn’t be to senselessly demean new members under the guise of “brotherhood” just to make yourself feel powerful and important. I’d rather be in an organization that treats everyone with respect than one where it’s a competition to see how you can treat each new class worse than the one before
    You obviously have no clue. Everything done in a pledge ship is done for a reason and is designed to bring your pledge class closer together as a group. Outside looking in you don’t understand. Inside looking out you understand the meaning of it all. It’s not at all about “senselessly demeaning” anyone. It’s about building a bond of brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I'm a doctor...wheres the horse
    Honestly, had to double check because I wasn’t sure.

Probably the greatest and the most subtle potential derailing of a thread.

Irreverently nuanced references like this make me giggle with joy.

Thank you for an early morning chuckle that my wife is shaking her head about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    You obviously have no clue. Everything done in a pledge ship is done for a reason and is designed to bring your pledge class closer together as a group. Outside looking in you don’t understand. Inside looking out you understand the meaning of it all. It’s not at all about “senselessly demeaning” anyone. It’s about building a bond of brotherhood.
    Brotherhood? I guess, especially if you pay your monthly dues...and screw female goats (that's an LSU thing) but I digress...I was part of a long time, dorm started, intramural all and every sport group...45 years later we are still bonded, but not in that frat boy way...GDI baby

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I won't comment on this case, because I don't have the information to have an informed opinion. Hazing isn't allowed in the military either, but my son-in-law was just promoted this weekend after drills for the Marine Reserves and he isn't walking to well today.
    T thats not hazing he just got pinned. Good old E-4

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Honestly, had to double check because I wasn’t sure.

Probably the greatest and the most subtle potential derailing of a thread.

Irreverently nuanced references like this make me giggle with joy.

Thank you for an early morning chuckle that my wife is shaking her head about.
    Anytime Bruh...

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    Yeah, having someone spit on you, hit you, not let you sleep for days, and force you to drink until you throw up or pass out really evokes the spirit of brotherly love for me.

I had a friend in another fraternity at UL. They made their class clean up their entire tailgate area after a football game (no problem with that at all). Then the “brothers” rounded up all the trash, brought it back to the house, dumped it in the middle of the chapter room, and made the pledges pick it all up again while they threw stuff at them and insulted them. If that’s how you would treat your brother, I’d hate to be in your family. That’s not love. That’s not respect. It doesn’t teach any lessons, other than how to be an A-hole to the next class.

IMO, a fraternity should build vertical unity between all members, not just those of individual classes. Hazing will create very strong horizontal unity between classmates because they went through such intense experiences and had to stick together. But it doesn’t create a bond with the incumbent members. If anything, it creates hatred and resentment. It is much more difficult to create vertical unity. You have to recruit a certain type of person and establish a set of shared values and ideals. Build trust through respect over time. Show them that they are valued members of the group and work together towards a common goal. Like I said, more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding. Again, just my opinion

Does Tapa nu Keg count as a frat? Maybe I Felt a Thi? I know it always was a sweet party beating Sigma Nu...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information