Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The case of the death you speak of is from 6 years ago and there is nothing that has fully determined that the person died because of hazing and sleep deprivation. If it is proven, it is very unfortunate but to blame the university or fraternity alumni for it is ridiculous. I have certainly not heard of any planned sexual assaults either. Our old fraternity was kicked off for over a year for covid violations though....
    It’s not hard to determine that someone fell asleep at the wheel because they had their medication withheld from them, were deprived sleep for at least two days, and then forced to run errands at 3 or 4 in the morning. The student that was killed wasn’t the one driving. They were struck by the car. I’d do more research on the sexual assault case to find out for yourself.

As for the university hating the Greeks, I’m not going to say that’s incorrect, but fraternity’s aren’t exactly making it easy. Sororities seem to be still thriving. There were certain chapters that were allowed to get away with more heinous things either because they had alumni with deep pockets or connections in the administration that would cover for them. I say it’s the fault of those alumni and the administration to an extent, because they continued to turn a blind eye to the warning signs and put a bandaid on the issue instead of actually addressing it, and those are pretty much all the chapters getting kicked off for horrific things the past few years. I’m a proud alumnus of a fraternity that has never been kicked off of UL’s campus, because there is no tolerance for idiotic, senseless stuff like that. We also knew we’d be off in a second because we weren’t one of the protected few

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    It’s not hard to determine that someone fell asleep at the wheel because they had their medication withheld from them, were deprived sleep for at least two days, and then forced to run errands at 3 or 4 in the morning. The student that was killed wasn’t the one driving. They were struck by the car. I’d do more research on the sexual assault case to find out for yourself.

As for the university hating the Greeks, I’m not going to say that’s incorrect, but fraternity’s aren’t exactly making it easy. Sororities seem to be still thriving. There were certain chapters that were allowed to get away with more heinous things either because they had alumni with deep pockets or connections in the administration that would cover for them. I say it’s the fault of those alumni and the administration to an extent, because they continued to turn a blind eye to the warning signs and put a bandaid on the issue instead of actually addressing it, and those are pretty much all the chapters getting kicked off for horrific things the past few years. I’m a proud alumnus of a fraternity that has never been kicked off of UL’s campus, because there is no tolerance for idiotic, senseless stuff like that. We also knew we’d be off in a second because we weren’t one of the protected few
    First, I'm not the one suggesting there is a sexual assault scheme with a fraternity. I think it is your burden to bear in proving what you are saying, not the other way around. I looked it up briefly and the only thing I found at our university was, again, from 6 years ago where they claim there was a rape at one of the fraternity houses but that's where the story ends. It didn't say if it went to trial or if it was even confirmed. Only allegations.

Outside of that, I can't tell if you are addressing our school's greek system or just the system in general because there have been no "heinous" or "horrific" things done here to get chapters kicked off the row. There will always been bad characters and those who abuse the system but to throw such a blanket assumption on the entire system is kind of weak.

First, I'm not the one suggesting there is a sexual assault scheme with a fraternity. I think it is your burden to bear in proving what you are saying, not the other way around. I looked it up briefly and the only thing I found at our university was, again, from 6 years ago where they claim there was a rape at one of the fraternity houses but that's where the story ends. It didn't say if it went to trial or if it was even confirmed. Only allegations.

Outside of that, I can't tell if you are addressing our school's greek system or just the system in general because there have been no "heinous" or "horrific" things done here to get chapters kicked off the row. There will always been bad characters and those who abuse the system but to throw such a blanket assumption on the entire system is kind of weak.
    His last 2 sentences make it very clear he has an axe to grind with “all those other fraternities” my guess is he didn’t get bids to them or got his ass whipped by somebody.

GDI here, don't care about these boohoo frat boy stories...they get kicked off campus because somehow pulling these initiation stunts on children somehow make you a man..

Besides, why would I want any part of an organization that would have me as a member...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    GDI here, don't care about these boohoo frat boy stories...they get kicked off campus because somehow pulling these initiation stunts on children somehow make you a man..

Besides, why would I want any part of an organization that would have me as a member...
    It’s just weird how when athletes get caught being stupid, the entire team isn’t suspended for 4 years..,just the idiots pay the price....if they even pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    His last 2 sentences make it very clear he has an axe to grind with “all those other fraternities” my guess is he didn’t get bids to them or got his ass whipped by somebody.
    I take issue with fraternities that don’t do things the right way. They make the whole system look bad, and everyone else has to suffer for it. Then, when they aren’t properly policed, it creates a cycle of pushing things under the rug until it escalates to a level that results in removal from campus

I take issue with fraternities that don’t do things the right way. They make the whole system look bad, and everyone else has to suffer for it. Then, when they aren’t properly policed, it creates a cycle of pushing things under the rug until it escalates to a level that results in removal from campus
    I take issues with those that don’t do things the right way also. Like those who did away with pledges and call them associates how freaking gay can you be?

8. Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Never did the rent-a-friend program but not opposed to those who choose to take part in it either. I just didn’t want to be beholden to some sixth year senior majoring in Business Management who’s taking six credits a semester to prolong the party on Daddy’s dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I take issues with those that don’t do things the right way also. Like those who did away with pledges and call them associates how freaking gay can you be?
    Grow up. The point of a fraternity shouldn’t be to senselessly demean new members under the guise of “brotherhood” just to make yourself feel powerful and important. I’d rather be in an organization that treats everyone with respect than one where it’s a competition to see how you can treat each new class worse than the one before

Grow up. The point of a fraternity isn’t to senselessly demean new members under the guise of “brotherhood” just to make yourself feel powerful and important. I’d rather be in an organization that treats everyone with respect than one where it’s a competition to see how you can treat each new class worse than the one before
    Good point.

I guess you will have to educate everyone on what "the right way" is. Are you talking about hazing? Also, I never saw any infraction that was swept under the rug. If anything, there were always more eyes on the bigger fraternities. In case you didn't know, most of the bigger fraternities didn't really have good relationships with the Greek Deans and there was always a sense of them just wanting someone to screw up so they could throw the book at them.

Who gives a rats ass about the fraternities. This is a football thread.

13. Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Thank you

14. Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

I guess you will have to educate everyone on what "the right way" is. Are you talking about hazing? Also, I never saw any infraction that was swept under the rug. If anything, there were always more eyes on the bigger fraternities. In case you didn't know, most of the bigger fraternities didn't really have good relationships with the Greek Deans and there was always a sense of them just wanting someone to screw up so they could throw the book at them.
    ……a La Animal House?

The most recent suspension for hazing was a whopping 3 year suspension. I've never seen that type of length suspension and the infractions were for doing calisthenics and sleep deprivation. If you rush a fraternity and that's ALL you have to deal with you are getting away easy so its definitely a tale of the time and our society norms have shifted so much. The kids who were putting the pledges through this are facing misdemeanor charges. Can you believe that for making a kid do push ups, you are being charged with something similar to assault or DUI first offense?

Sleep deprivation can be dangerous. Suspension of 3 years may be excessive but some punishment was warranted for the sleep aspect. Again, ZERO hazing activities other than charity work is what the policy should be. Go to that and greek life will be fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information