Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Running Backs

Default Re: Running Backs

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Nobody with that name had any stats for the Cajuns last season.
    Oh FFS

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Boomer I just watched his high school highlights and could see that. I am sure between that and camps they knew what kind of ball skills he had before he got here.
    Regardless, there was talk upon coming in that they would consider moving him to LB, especially with the depth we had at RB

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    T, is Chris Smith a senior? He is listed on the roster as a junior. I would assume he probably will be graduating this year, but won't he have a year of eligibility left?

KK, not doubting the confidence in the stereo Williams, but I think the weight cited for Kendrell earlier in the thread was a little generous. The roster lists him at 195. I think his size has always been over-estimated. My daughter taught him at Carencro so I was geeked when he signed; at the time news reports had him listed at 6'0", 225 lbs.

Gaston, I sure hope so. I'd much rather have players pushing players rather than coaches settling for and making do.

Remember, Terrance was recruited as a linebacker, but when depth became an issue last year, he made the switch and WAS the first person off the bench when Bailey got hurt. So I think that speaks for his athleticism.
    Smith got an extra year like many because of Covid, so he will be a 4 Year Junior. If he has a very good season, he's probably gone and he will be draft eligible. I'm not sure if he graduates in the fall, or next spring. I don't see him returning for a 5th season either way.

Yes he is. At least softer than Napier was.
    Napier was a disciple of Saban and those guys aren't a dime a dozen. They are just wired different.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Napier was a disciple of Saban and those guys aren't a dime a dozen. They are just wired different.
    And Des was hired because he is a disciple of Napier who is a disciple of Saban and Sweeny who didn't have to leave here to get that same kind of experience Napier got. He supposedly took notes every day and wrote down and questioned everything Billy did. At least that's how I remember the story going. Which is why I am a little surprised to hear he is much more easy going with the players than his predecessor was.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I still say Bailey was our best RB on the team....hands down.
    Bailey is a bonafide dawg! Tough loss.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Regardless, there was talk upon coming in that they would consider moving him to LB, especially with the depth we had at RB
    I’m with KK. Where was that LB talk? I certainly never heard it. This kid was a running back his whole career, camped here as a running back. Everyone involved knew it would be where he would settle in.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana...738a9.amp.html

"UL brought him in as a running back but they're also intrigued by what they see from him on defense," Many coach Jess Curtis said. "With his size and athleticism, we wanted to get a look at Terrence on defense this past season.

And Des was hired because he is a disciple of Napier who is a disciple of Saban and Sweeny who didn't have to leave here to get that same kind of experience Napier got. He supposedly took notes every day and wrote down and questioned everything Billy did. At least that's how I remember the story going. Which is why I am a little surprised to hear he is much more easy going with the players than his predecessor was.
    Keep in mind the rules just changed. Now that players can come and go as they please in the portal it will be a lot harder to be a tough coach. I’d imagine at a decent g5 program it’s the worst case because the schools with money will be looking to poach your studs every year. If you don’t keep them happy they will leave. There will be transferring regardless but I’d imagine Dez knows how to deal with the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Pop View Post
    I’m with KK. Where was that LB talk? I certainly never heard it. This kid was a running back his whole career, camped here as a running back. Everyone involved knew it would be where he would settle in.
    There was talk about him possibly moving to LB. I don't have the time nor interest in going back through archives here or the old Cajunredzone to find transcripts of things said but I remember the possibility of trying him at LB since we had less depth there than at RB.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    There was talk about him possibly moving to LB. I don't have the time nor interest in going back through archives here or the old Cajunredzone to find transcripts of things said but I remember the possibility of trying him at LB since we had less depth there than at RB.
    Correct. He worked out at RB and LB at camps, including UL. He also played defense at times as an underclassman.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Smith got an extra year like many because of Covid, so he will be a 4 Year Junior. If he has a very good season, he's probably gone and he will be draft eligible. I'm not sure if he graduates in the fall, or next spring. I don't see him returning for a 5th season either way.
    Wasn't considering the COVID season. I'd be bummed if he doesn't come back for the 5th year, but if he gets that much interest, I will just have to pout. I think Chris Smith is one of those cats who is a Cajun thru-and-thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Bailey is a bonafide dawg! Tough loss.
    Truth! And I felt like they didn't use him enough! It seemed like they were more enamored with Montrell. IDK. Maybe I'm wrong....it just seemed that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Keep in mind the rules just changed. Now that players can come and go as they please in the portal it will be a lot harder to be a tough coach. I’d imagine at a decent g5 program it’s the worst case because the schools with money will be looking to poach your studs every year. If you don’t keep them happy they will leave. There will be transferring regardless but I’d imagine Dez knows how to deal with the players.
    BS. Those kids love the discipline. For some it's the first time they had a real disciplinarian in there life. They might leave for just the opposite looking for a tighter ship.

Didn’t Hud become lax and things started slipping?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information