Thread: University of Houston to join the Big 12 on July 1st, 1 Year earlier than Planned

Default University of Houston to join the Big 12 on July 1st, 1 Year earlier than Planned

https://abc13.com/uh-cougars-big-12-...orns/11945100/

“The University of Houston is set to join the Big 12 Conference. The school, which already has the greenlight to join the Power Five collegiate sports conference, has set a July 1, 2023 date to end its membership with its current league, the American Athletic Conference.

This date is a year earlier than the July 1, 2024 date, which is UH's expiration date on its current agreement with the AAC.

It's not immediately known what price the school paid to leave early, but the reported exit fee is $10 million. UH's move, announced Friday, June 10, comes almost a year after University of Texas and University of Oklahoma, both Big 12 members at the moment, set off a seismic shift across college sports. Both UT and OU pursued and were granted future membership into the powerful Southeastern Conference.”

Default Re: University of Houston to join the Big 12 on July 1st, 1 Year earlier than Planned

They just wanted to make sure they get that home game before UT-Austin leaves.

Default Re: University of Houston to join the Big 12 on July 1st, 1 Year earlier than Planned

So does it look better that the Cajuns are playing a team from the AAC or the Big 12? That was my first question when I saw this announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    So does it look better that the Cajuns are playing a team from the AAC or the Big 12? That was my first question when I saw this announcement.
    When are we playing Houston? We're playing Rice this year.

With the Cougars no longer playing Tulane every year I can see the Cajuns on the Houston schedule more frequently in the future. It is weird seeing Mylik Wilson on the Cougars basketball roster. The articles state he is a Texas Tech transfer but I always think of him as a Cajun. Will be interesting to see him develop under Sampson.

Thread Information