Thread: John Szefc

Default John Szefc

Man, it's hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since John Szefc became a Ragin' Cajun. And, today, his Virginia Tech Hokies have a chance to take the step to Omaha.

A lot of you never had the pleasure. Coach didn't smile much when he was on the field. Pretty intense dude. Off the field he is hilarious with a great sense of humor.

If they win, he'll take a piece of Robe to Omaha. I'm pumped.

And, VT has little to no history in baseball. He's brought them to heights they've only imagined.

Personal note: I was on the phone with him when I got the news about Robe.

I have no idea what a freaking Hokie is, but I'm one of them today.

Default Re: John Szefc

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Man, it's hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since John Szefc became a Ragin' Cajun. And, today, his Virginia Tech Hokies have a chance to take the step to Omaha.

A lot of you never had the pleasure. Coach didn't smile much when he was on the field. Pretty intense dude. Off the field he is hilarious with a great sense of humor.

If they win, he'll take a piece of Robe to Omaha. I'm pumped.

And, VT has little to no history in baseball. He's brought them to heights they've only imagined.

Personal note: I was on the phone with him when I got the news about Robe.

I have no idea what a freaking Hokie is, but I'm one of them today.
    He has came a long way since his 2000 regional Marist days.

I’ll never forget when he went to Deano’s and ordered the T-Rex with just pepperoni.

We got to know John Szefc during recruiting. We bumped into him a few times during that period. He is a really good guy. He cares about players and is obviously one of the very best college coaches in the last decade or two. VA Tech baseball was nothing till he got there. Maryland too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We got to know John Szefc during recruiting. We bumped into him a few times during that period. He is a really good guy. He cares about players and is obviously one of the very best college coaches in the last decade or two.
    Wins follow that dude around like he’s the Pied Piper

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Wins follow that dude around like he’s the Pied Piper
    All that guy does is win. We had strong teams, especially offense, when he was here.

Our 2005 team had TEN .300 hitters. We hit .327 as a team and had 774 hits in 67 games with 155 doubles. BB/SO was 307/380.
    We hit .342 in conference. Coker stole 29 bases. Morris and Landry both drove in more than 60 runs. Man, that team was fun offensively.

I ran into Coach Szefc at one of the CVS’s here in town right before the 2009 season and asked him if he was ready to roll. He had told me that he just accepted the job as an assistant at Kansas and was leaving like the next week. I remember wishing him luck and thanking him for his time here. Off the field, he was really a nice chill guy.

Also, we now have two former UL assistants (John Szefc and Brent Pry) as respected head coaches at Virginia Tech. Pretty cool.

Our 2005 team had TEN .300 hitters. We hit .327 as a team and had 774 hits in 67 games with 155 doubles. BB/SO was 307/380.
    We hit .342 in conference. Coker stole 29 bases. Morris and Landry both drove in more than 60 runs. Man, that team was fun offensively.
    It was a travesty that we were sent to the Tulane Regional that year. That team was loaded.

I wonder if his wife still has the mobile dog service?

I remember a bunch of Sunday games we scored double digits. Not quite as good as 2005, but 2006 and 2007 teams could hit some too. Robe gave John a lot of credit for the offense.

UL Baseball Re: John Szefc

Game 3: Hokies are off to a bit of a slow start.

OU 2
    VT 0 End of 1st

Not looking good for either Virginia Tech or Tennessee.

Thread Information