Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead

Default Re: Looking Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I agree. Moving would impart too much risk for little reward. He can pad his stats at the familiar place with familiar staff and familiar teammates. He goes into the draft on a high.

I think there are too many variables that can throw things off with a change. Baseball players more than any other athletes are superstitious. If you are on a hot streak, you don’t change anything on or off the field. What does he really have to gain by going to a bigger school? He has the exposure now. He has the ability to compete on a national stage now. He should be a favorite for conference player of the year next season. He’s in an advantageous, and maybe more importantly, a more comfortable spot now.
    Players are finely tuned athletic machines, one coach said. He is this () close to wrapping up a stellar college career, got everything going in one direction with unfinished business here.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Neither am I, just read some of the latest projections on MLB.com draft prospects and Perfect Game.
    They are much better at it than I. That much I know. I know we are better with Brock than without. Major coup if we keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I am not saying this is the most important issue, but the thing I'm most interested in seeing next year is what the staff does, if anything, to put a premium on reaching base.

To date, we are 265th in the country in walks and 211th in OB%. We finished 6th in the country in stolen bases and 10th in stolen bases per game. Scoring 169th. So despite the constant pressure we put, a batting average in the top 1/3 of the country (88th) and a slugging % just outside the top 1/3 (101), we still scored fewer runs per game than over half the teams in the country.

Our deadly speed coupled with an inability to get on base felt to me like a world renowned Cajun chef working in a Chinese restaurant at times. I'm fully aware a Deggs lead team is not going to lead the nation in walks. There's too much movement and guys swinging to protect stealers and for hit and runs, but just AVERAGE stats in those first two categories I mentioned could push this offense in to a new stratosphere.
    Back in 2013 we were that ultra aggressive team. Very similar to this years club. 2014 we had controlled aggression and increased our OBP and BB…less swinging, but when we did it was meaningful. Next year could be the same. Some of it comes with maturity. Some of it may be comfort. But i wouldnt mind that kind of production again.

4. Default Re: Looking Ahead

Any probability DeBarge hits the portal since he’s so young?

(EXIT MEETINGS--They start with the players today. We'll know by next week if anyone is leaving, whether it be their decision or the coaching staff's choice. It's possible some guys may be asked to go JUCO in order to get more AB's. There's not a doubt in my mind, IF that happens, those guys are in future plans. Coach loves this team and the players)

Jay are you suggesting the coaches would send some kids to JuCo to get some at bats and then bring them back here with a little experience? I was told on here that never happens and coaches never do that and kids like Peyton Lejeune once they leave they never come back. That can't be what you are suggesting right?

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Any probability DeBarge hits the portal since he’s so young?
    Guys, you need to understand something.

While anything is possible, believe it or not, some of these young men LOVE being Ragin' Cajuns.

Rocco and DeBarge are two of them. I don't think they are going anywhere.

Just because we have good players other schools might be interested in, doesn't mean players will entertain the thought.

Jay,
    Can you speak to how NIL is affecting baseball if any? I know its not to the level of football, but how relevant is it in spring sports outside of what we saw with Arkansas softball? I realize thats an outlier. Just curious.

I am not Jay; but if I were you I would worry much more about the NCAA increasing the scholarship limit to the roster limit in sports like baseball and softball. When that happens, lots of programs like ours will go by the wayside; hopefully we will pony up the money necessary to compete for players.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am not Jay; but if I were you I would worry much more about the NCAA increasing the scholarship limit to the roster limit in sports like baseball and softball. When that happens, lots of programs like ours will go by the wayside; hopefully we will pony up the money necessary to compete for players.
    VO, question for you.

I know you haven't been much of a baseball guy over the years and I think I recall the style of play had something to do with that. Has that changed under Deggs?

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    VO, question for you.

I know you haven't been much of a baseball guy over the years and I think I recall the style of play had something to do with that. Has that changed under Deggs?
    Jay, I think I have converted him over to the softball side. Deep down he is a T&F and basketball guy.

11. Default Re: Looking Ahead

Bobby Lada and Chipper Menard are in the portal according to D1. Only two new players since the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Jay, I think I have converted him over to the softball side. Deep down he is a T&F and basketball guy.
    I know very well who he is. Been knowing him for years. But my question remains…

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I know very well who he is. Been knowing him for years. But my question remains…
    Mr. C is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
    Bobby Lada and Chipper Menard are in the portal according to D1. Only two new players since the end of the season.
    I’m pretty surprised about Chipper. They gave him more opportunities than anybody I’ve seen with that level of performance. That’s a lot of experience for a guy who’s walking.

Good luck to both of them. Both had some bright spots but also had the fans pulling our hair out at other times.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I’m pretty surprised about Chipper. They gave him more opportunities than anybody I’ve seen with that level of performance. That’s a lot of experience for a guy who’s walking.

Good luck to both of them. Both had some bright spots but also had the fans pulling our hair out at other times.
    It was schitt or get off the pot for chipper. Not saying he was forced out but ya know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information