Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: My how the tide has shifted

1. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

In the regional itself it really hurt not having Connor Kimple, their is no doubt that Kimple, Marusak and Hood were our best set of outfielders, that is not taking anything away from Veillon, Rocco and Hood, but when that happens you move Veillon in to replace Kimple and that is OK, but then you lose Marusak and now you have to take Rocco and place him in CF, where he normally had been playing RF when not playing 1B, not to mention I think Rocco is unbelievable at 1B, but now you deplete yourself even more as you now have to put CJ Willis at 1B and CJ did great, but again now your options on DH and PH are greatly reduced. We saw it late in the aTm game. We have 4 players that are capable of playing 2B, Jonathan Brandon (probably the best option when considering offense and defense combined), Bobby Lada, Warner Riccones and CJ Willis. We started CJ at 1B and Jonathan at 2B, but we PH for him late in the game with Lada (I believe, possibly the best hitter of the group with the exception of CJ), and replaced him with Riccones (by far the best defensive option) while we were winning, but then we lost the lead and the bat came back around and we had no options since JB, CJ, BL and WR had all played at some point and we may have been able to pinch hit for him, but now who plays 1B, if it is Rocco then you need to replace him in the OF with Conner Higgs, possibly.

It just all around put the bench in a tight situation losing Marusak and Kimple.

Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    After what has turned out to be a pretty successful baseball season I see some of the crow eating has begun. All of a sudden we like "Deggs Ball". Suddenly we just have to accept the good decisions with the bad ones. Suddenly we like the havoc created on the base paths and putting pressure on the opponent's defense. Suddenly it's all part of the process. Suddenly getting picked off on base is OK as we're just an "aggressive" team. We want to order his book now. We suddenly look forward to next season and everyone has become "all in" on the Deggs bandwagon.

People wanted a statue of Billy Napier [until he left for only 3 plus million more per year and a much better career path] and loved him until he started "taking" coaches and players with him. Before all that Billy Napier had carte blanche within the confines of this university. All of a sudden, people [many of YOU] think he's the biggest POS that ever graced Cajun Field.

See the pattern here ? With all that said, maybe a good remedy for the future is just sit back, relax, and enjoy whatever sport you support. It must be embarrassing after some verbal assaults toward certain coaches that you have to now come crawling back into the program and act like you've had their back from the get go. It's a joke.

What many don't realize is that Deggs never changed his style from when he was in the 3B box in 2013 and 2014 to when he came back here in 2020. The difference was we had better players, won more games, and were far more sexy than the 2022 squad. That's it. The problem is that many forgot what it was like with him here in '13 and '14. All the comparisons to Robe began and on and on and on. No two coaches are alike. Let it go. Even Robe wouldn't approve of the comparison but would certainly be appreciative of your support for the man whose hands this program is now in.

We should all be fired up about this baseball program going into the 2023 season. We made it to a Regional when as recently as 5 weeks ago no one gave this team a snowballs chance in hell to win anything. These players and coaches more than deserve the support of the fan base and community moving forward as exciting times could certainly be on the way.
    I was a bit reluctant to respond to this thread and sound like I'm pilling on about the negative opinions about Degg's coaching style and the struggles of the team at times during the season. I've posted my comments on this subject in several other threads, so there is no need to say anything other than I believed Coach Deggs was the right hire, at the right time.

On the subject of Coach Billy Napier, I agree he and his staff should be permanently recognized in the football building for orchestrating the greatest four year stretch in the modern era of Cajun Football history. He is a great young coach and I had no problem with him leaving for his dream job. In fact, I made a number of post telling people not to be concerned with TCU and South Carolina, he wanted a top SEC job that gave him the opportunity to compete for a national championship.

Now where you and I part ways, is the manner in which he conducted himself afterwards. I was one of a number of posters that took issue with his scorched earth policy involving football staff, the weight program, recruiting and videographer. According to my sources, which are on the football staff and inside the building, there was an agreement on how Coach Napier was going to vet staff he wanted, and he did not follow that agreement. It's not second hand information, it's straight from some of his former staff. And several in the administration acknowledged it without getting into specifics.

I agree that Billy Napier is a special coach in the manner in which he runs his organization and creates a winning culture. Billy Napier is not the 13th apostle that some people on this board made him out to be. He is not different that a number of other successful coaches from Nick Saban's coaching tree, he will do what is necessary to get the job done.

I will always put my program over any coach. My shirt and hat will always say Ragin' Cajuns, program before any coach. But if you are still interested in Billy Napier, I hear his "Scared Money, Don't Make Money" is still available in orange and blue.

3. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

{{{Now where you and I part ways, is the manner in which he conducted himself afterwards. I was one of a number of posters that took issue with his scorched earth policy involving football staff, the weight program, recruiting and videographer. According to my sources, which are on the football staff and inside the building, there was an agreement on how Coach Napier was going to vet staff he wanted, and he did not follow that agreement. It's not second hand information, it's straight from some of his former staff. And several in the administration acknowledged it without getting into specifics.}}}}}}

Not a good look at all. But, it seems to be the way the "big timers" do it now a days.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I was a bit reluctant to respond to this thread and sound like I'm pilling on about the negative opinions about Degg's coaching style and the struggles of the team at times during the season. I've posted my comments on this subject in several other threads, so there is no need to say anything other than I believed Coach Deggs was the right hire, at the right time.

On the subject of Coach Billy Napier, I agree he and his staff should be permanently recognized in the football building for orchestrating the greatest four year stretch in the modern era of Cajun Football history. He is a great young coach and I had no problem with him leaving for his dream job. In fact, I made a number of post telling people not to be concerned with TCU and South Carolina, he wanted a top SEC job that gave him the opportunity to compete for a national championship.

Now where you and I part ways, is the manner in which he conducted himself afterwards. I was one of a number of posters that took issue with his scorched earth policy involving football staff, the weight program, recruiting and videographer. According to my sources, which are on the football staff and inside the building, there was an agreement on how Coach Napier was going to vet staff he wanted, and he did not follow that agreement. It's not second hand information, it's straight from some of his former staff. And several in the administration acknowledged it without getting into specifics.

I agree that Billy Napier is a special coach in the manner in which he runs his organization and creates a winning culture. Billy Napier is not the 13th apostle that some people on this board made him out to be. He is not different that a number of other successful coaches from Nick Saban's coaching tree, he will do what is necessary to get the job done.

I will always put my program over any coach. My shirt and hat will always say Ragin' Cajuns, program before any coach. But if you are still interested in Billy Napier, I hear his "Scared Money, Don't Make Money" is still available in orange and blue.
    T why did Maggard say that their was no agreement as far as taking staff? I believe he did say he wasn't going to and did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    T why did Maggaed say that their was no agreement as far as taking staff? I believe he did say he wasn't going to and did anyway.
    A number of them were still on contract and employees of the university. No, he didn't need permission to interview anyone, but there was an understanding that he communicate with our AD once he made a decision to hire someone. They had a preliminary list of who was probably leaving with him, it's the others that were not on that list that became a problem.

T,

I understand and agree with much of what you have to said. However, like every fan of UL, I was (and still am) a huge fan of Billy Napier. I too was disappointed he took so many UL employees with him to Florida. But the reality of the situation is that until Napier came here, hired many of those same individuals and showed UL how things need to be done to have a winner here, UL did not have a clue on what it really takes to be successful in this day and age. I am hopeful that our administration learned a thing or two while he was here and will do everything necessary to continue our success. A great program MUST be able to continue replacing personnel when they depart and not be held hostage by any one individual. We will see what happens in the next few years, but I remain optimistic.

I am a huge fan of Mike Desormeaux, as I think he will continue to lead the Cajuns to many victories. But I will also be pulling for Billy to have much success at Florida (especially when playing LSU).

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    T,

I understand and agree with much of what you have to said. However, like every fan of UL, I was (and still am) a huge fan of Billy Napier. I too was disappointed he took so many UL employees with him to Florida. But the reality of the situation is that until Napier came here, hired many of those same individuals and showed UL how things need to be done to have a winner here, UL did not have a clue on what it really takes to be successful in this day and age. I am hopeful that our administration learned a thing or two while he was here and will do everything necessary to continue our success. A great program MUST be able to continue replacing personnel when they depart and not be held hostage by any one individual. We will see what happens in the next few years, but I remain optimistic.

I am a huge fan of Mike Desormeaux, as I think he will continue to lead the Cajuns to many victories. But I will also be pulling for Billy to have much success at Florida (especially when playing LSU).
    I understand and this has been discussed ad nauseam. My point in responding to his mention of Billy Napier, is that I've learned through my own personal experiences with coaches, never put personalities over the program. While I'm extremely grateful for Billy Napier and staff, I will always put the program first unless their was evidence that the administration treated them unfairly. That was never the case with Napier or Marlin, but there is a segment of our fan base that value playing golf and attending BBQs with coaches over what is best for the program. At this point in my life, I'm not one of those fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Let's face it. Some of you guys weren't being fair to Coach Deggs and this team. Last year some felt Deggs was the problem when, in fact, there were chemistry issues that had to be addressed, along with the coaching staff. And, even after that, there were some who freaked out about some of the guys (three in particular) that left. It was Deggs' fault.

No, it wasn't.

This team didn't get out of the gate as fast as hoped. Hood and Brock got off to slow starts, not unexpected since it was their first season as starters in D-1. TRob's slow start was unexpected but he had a great second half. DeBarge hit a wall, also not unexpected when scouting reports get out on freshmen. And, Marusak missing 15 games was a huge blow.

But it all came together with the offense. Guys like Lada, Willis and Brandon had significant contributions off the bench. Rincones proved to be nails defensively and even had a clutch hit or two.

And, no one complainednot in that dugout. Incredible chemistry on this team, very similar to 2000 and 2014.

My biggest criticism about this board has always been the same. Many of you don't understand the game that well. I laughed at some of the criticism as far as in game threads were concerned but didn't comment because, well, baseball.

You simply can't look at this game with the same attitude you do about football. If you were ready to mutiny when we lost to Nicholls, then you're part of that group. Baseball is a great equalizer. Nicholls played .500 ball this year. They weren't St. Peters. And, on any given night, it can happen. It did. That's baseball.

Those four games (see: Troy) were, in my opinion, a blessing in disguise. When you play 56, four is just a blip on the radar screen.
    This team learned from that adversity and played awfully good ball the rest of the season. There were a couple of individual games that were frustrating (see: ULM and App), but the body of work was awfully good.

I'm not going to say I expected us to win the league tournament, but I'm sure as hell not surprised they did.

This was one of the more satisfying baseball seasons for me. I loved being around this group of young men.

Matt Deggs can flat out coach. He's not anywhere close to Robe as far as in game coaching is concerned. That doesn't make him wrong (and that was a problem for some of you, but understandable.)

I'm going to do a separate post on the future. Then I'm going away for a while. The older I get, the more exhausted I am at the end of the season, both mentally and physically. I'm going to decompress. 63 nights in hotels and the better part of 10,000 miles driving has taken its toll.

And, I'm not thinking about football until at least mid July.

God bless. Geaux Cajuns!
    Looking forward to your next post Jay. Most people who post here don't have the technical knowledge that the guys who play the game or coach it do. That is why I rarely question decisions. That does mean all posters cannot have valid opinions. That is the purpose of these boards. That is why I often don't challenge differing points of view. Their view on something probably does not come from a position of less knowledge than I have. Now when people post something that is factually incorrect or lacks context, I will chime in.

9. Default Re: My how the tide has shifted

It is so exciting to see some buyin with Coach Deggs and the team he has held together.

Can’t wait for next season.

It should be loads of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Not about “I told you so”. But as Jay said, many of you don’t understand the game. Have no fear though, football is around the corner. I’m sure Desormeaux will be getting grilled as well.
    Yeah guys like gonegolfin and dad04 don’t know anything about the game of baseball

I understand and this has been discussed ad nauseam. My point in responding to his mention of Billy Napier, is that I've learned through my own personal experiences with coaches, never put personalities over the program. While I'm extremely grateful for Billy Napier and staff, I will always put the program first unless their was evidence that the administration treated them unfairly. That was never the case with Napier or Marlin, but there is a segment of our fan base that value playing golf and attending BBQs with coaches over what is best for the program. At this point in my life, I'm not one of those fans.
    People that play in program golf tournaments or have meals with coaches will continue to do that once current head guys are no longer here. Those are generally perks for program support. Those perks will continue to be available after staff changes are mAde.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Yeah guys like gonegolfin and dad04 don’t know anything about the game of baseball
    Obviously those guys know know much about the game. That is why some of us put more credence into their views than those of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Agreed! I would put Dad04 and CajunSball22 up against anyone on this board when it comes to baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Obviously those guys know know much about the game. That is why some of us put more credence into their views than those of others.
    That’s my point mike. These guys questioned moves made by Deggs throughout the year. But obviously they don’t know baseball cause babysitter said so

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    People that play in program golf tournaments or have meals with coaches will continue to do that once current head guys are no longer here. Those are generally perks for program support. Those perks will continue to be available after staff changes are mAde.
    Mike, I'm not referring to perks that come with levels of giving. That is expected and part of college athletics fundraising. I'm talking about those that enjoy the fellowship, friendship or recognition of coaches more than the programs they run. Those two things are not the same.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information